Author Topic: Character Description Changes  (Read 1308 times)

Naephet

• Legend
Character Description Changes
« on: January 25, 2003, 02:55:24 PM »
In order to help those of you who want to apply for a character description change, here are my informal guidelines to what's acceptable and what's not.

Unless your character is affected by some extreme change, like massive injuries or magickal changes, changes to the wording of your character's description should be gradual.  The reason for this is that players recognize characters by their short descriptions, and by completely changing the wording of the description, short or long, you are unrealistically altering others' ability to recognize your character, even if it's just rewording of the same thing.

When deciding whether a character's proposed description change is appropriate or not, I go by a rule of two-thirds.  By this, I mean the character's short and long descriptions should be roughly two-thirds the same as the old description.  Thus, 'the muscular, black-haired man' could be changed to, 'the muscular, black-haired human,' 'the muscular, pepper-haired man,' or 'the humongous, black-haired man.'  It's harder to judge with full descriptions, but I look for a lot of the same phrases being used, if not the exact same wording.

If you want your character's description fully changed, be prepared to submit your character's descriptions in progressive phases, and spend at least a month doing so.  Yes, this may make it more difficult for characters to dye their hair, and don a new persona unquestioned overnight, but that's the point.  Minor cosmetic changes like that don't make you unrecognizeable except to people that have only seen you once or twice.

Finally, if you'd like to request a description change, you are better off to mail me, at Naephet@ginka.armageddon.org as opposed to the mud account.  Be sure to include your account name, your character's current name, keywords, short description, and full description, as well as all the proposed changes.  Doing so makes the request less work for me, and will help me to put it through faster.

Naephet
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world."

Delirium

• Helper
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2003, 03:35:48 PM »
Select, ctrl+c, open notepad, ctrl+v, save.

Thank you.   8)

I have a feeling my recent request was part of the reason this was posted, yep.
"There are no happy endings, because nothing ends." - Schmendrick

Sephiroto

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2003, 05:13:29 PM »
Some how I feel this was posted because of a certain someone... :roll:

And thanks Naephet for the desc change advice.

Socko

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2003, 12:26:03 PM »
Ouch. Thanks for the guidelines.. I think I'm a part of the reason why this was brought up, at that.
"The most important thing is to find out what is the most important thing." -- Shunryu Suzuki