Author Topic: Allanaki Animals  (Read 6679 times)

JustThisGuy

Allanaki Animals
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2006, 04:39:53 PM »
Oooh.  Constricting snakes.  The kind that do a subdue and coil around you, slowly crushing your SP and HP until you die.  C'mon.  That is such a cool idea.  And then it eats you and your corpse and items become part of its inventory.  And then someone else kills it and skins it with a chance to retrieve items.  I like it, so it must be done!

Vesperas

Allanaki Animals
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2006, 05:06:20 PM »
More people-eating!

What a great idea.  XD

Allanaki Animals
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2006, 05:19:39 PM »
I don't know about a snake-thing that'll retain your corpse and all your items, as soon as this happened, the first time some buffed up noob killed one and ended up as rick as Tek, they'd come into a tavern boasting about the money-pot they just found. Then we'd have packs of lil warrior noobs going out in group to kill these things and split the bounty.

Instead of corpse and full inventory, the code could pick some random, hard to digest items in the inventory. Stone chisel, obsidian nose ring, handful of coins, etc. Not an entire inventory. Kind of like when some sea fisherman catches and hauls in a shark, and they find a liscense plate in the stomach. After all, even if the thing swallowed up the whole person, eventually some of these things would probably pass through or be spit out, like owl pellets they hack up with the bones and fur of rodents.

There's an idea, maybe while some of the items desolve and are digested/unusable, it hacks up pellets with the bones and some inventory? Just a thought. *shrug*
Quote from: jhunter
I'm gonna show up at your home and violate you with a weedeater.  :twisted:

rishenko

Allanaki Animals
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2006, 05:31:39 PM »
Snakes

Scorpions

A swarm of blood sucking desert mosquitos.  Run like hell or die.

Trap door creatures in the desert that wait for unsuspecting wanderers, wrapping a tongue around their legs.  They then have to battle the tongue within a certain amount of time before they are sucked in and killed.

Itty bitty creatures that you don't "fight" per se, just one hit kills for small amounts of nourishment.  Tiny lizards, horny toads, desert mice and other mammilians.  Instead of foraging for food, you would "scan" for food, different little creatures in different parts.

Speaking of parasites, how about some parasites that are hidden in the fleshy plants and cacti found out on the wastes?  Secondly, how about parasites that aren't deadly, they just impede your strength and endurance, make your guy sick for a few days.

Also, how about plants that release pollen as you pass through a league in the wild, causing you to see creatures that aren't there, or make you blind for a few hours, or cause you to lose a crapload of stun points?

I would also be interested in seeing a species that had telepathic abilities, such that if you kill one of their kind, all other individuals of that species within a few leagues, or across all of Zal would be alerted to your actions.  Almost like a crim code from animals, these creatures would go aggro on you if you were anywhere nearby.  Make them poisonous, let them track, let others appear in a pack as they attack you.  Sure, their hide is worth something, but it would suck if you were a twink resting after taking down a gizhat, only to find three of these creatures suddenly appearing and whooping your ass.

JustThisGuy

Allanaki Animals
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2006, 06:25:07 PM »
I've thought about pack hunters before.  I know there are certain animals that will hunt together already, but how about more?  Not necessarily mean beasties on their own, but when they are a pack, look out.

Yokunama

Allanaki Animals
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2006, 06:58:18 PM »
Whats up with all these aggressive animals?

Where are the dangerous, non-aggressive (until provoked) animals?

Code: [Select]
>drop pants
 You do not have that item.

Ktavialt

Allanaki Animals
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2006, 07:16:21 PM »
Rindan, rishenko, others... great ideas. Rangers need to be the top dawgs
in the wilds.

Conspiracy Theory

Allanaki Animals
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2006, 07:40:52 PM »
Whats up with all these aggressive animals?

Where are the dangerous, non-aggressive (until provoked) animals?

It's true.

I've always thought there was kind of an abundance of predator and a lack of prey in Zalanthas. You figure if there's even a small population of really huge destructive eat-sleep-kill stuff out there like silt horrors, mekillots, and bahamets, there'd have to be an awful lot of stuff other than PCs out there for them to feed on.

As for just around Allanak itself, I rather like a lot of the ideas here. Hope to see them soon.
>necksnap amos

You try and snap the tall, muscular man's neck but fumble and snap your own!

Welcome to Armageddon!  '(mantishead)

Maybe42or54

Allanaki Animals
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2006, 07:45:04 PM »
Well. There are.
Corpses from the city feed scrabs well enough.
Then there are all the animals that look just like the sand.
Then there are animals that only come out at night.
Ones you have to dig for.

But they may not all be represented by coded NPCs.
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Oxidised Lizard

Allanaki Animals
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2006, 09:23:24 AM »
Great parasite ideas Rindan.

Hexxaex

Allanaki Animals
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2006, 10:31:53 AM »
Quote from: "Rindan"
Imagine a small snake like creature that can slip into your inventory undetected (with a high scan), drink your water, then slip away.

I can see it now...

A desert that's hotter than your mother[NESW]
My, it's hot.  Lots of sand here and there and yeah, hot.

>inventory
You are carrying:
  a leather waterskin
  a thin, lumpy snake

>think wtf?
You think:
     "wtf?"

>junk snake
A thin, lumpy snake easily evades your junk.

>say dammit
You say in sirihish:
     "Dammit"

>junk snake
A thin, lumpy snake easily evades your junk.

>junk snake
You break a thin, lumpy snake.

>think Victory!
You think:
     "Victory!"
*blank* hmms to himself, carefully peeing across the ground.
Quote from: Raesanos
I want to kill everyone.

Sarah

Allanaki Animals
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2006, 11:53:44 AM »
Uh... I think I'll stay inside the city from now on.... :D
*runs and hides*
For those regarded as warriors, when engaged in combat
The vanquishing of thine enemy can be the warrior's only concern.
Suppress all human emotion and compassion.
Kill whoever stands in thy way...

Tuannon

Allanaki Animals
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2006, 03:29:18 AM »
I would like to see some variety among the scrab population for a start, such as those suggested. Maybe a little variation too between a crusty, scar shelled scrab and a pristine shelled scrab or what have you in terms of both fighting ability and phat lewts.

Also in terms of areas around 'Nak, why could we not have a little more bleed in from areas bordering the hinterlands of Allanak? Perhaps a runt scorpion or whatever displaced from its normal range.. that sort of thing.

As for the non-aggressive beasties.. farm animals with tenders as appropriate.. 'cattle' drives.. wild kanks, chalton (apparently there is a chalton slaughterhouse, but I have never seen a wild chalton). Obviously I would have to work harder on the ecosystem of Allanak in order to forward actual quasi-Athasian prey animals.. but there you go.

Agent_137

• a crapy clawn
Allanaki Animals
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2006, 01:53:42 PM »
Halaster was working on Sim-Desert awhile back, I don't know the level of it's progress. But suppossedly it was a realistic set of critters that represent a whole ecosystem.

Yokunama

Allanaki Animals
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2006, 03:20:18 PM »
I wish there were more meaty animals, besides the dangerous ones you have no chance of taking down in the south.

>drop pants
 You do not have that item.

Nao

Allanaki Animals
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2006, 04:13:06 PM »
Quote from: "Tuannon"
Maybe a little variation too between a crusty, scar shelled scrab and a pristine shelled scrab or what have you in terms of both fighting ability and phat lewts.

We DEFINITELY need more different scrabs. they can'T all be texactly the same size and shape, can they? well, maybe they could, but it would make things more interesting if they weren't.
In terms of fighting ability, there is already PLENTY of differenjce between all those scrabs that look the same, believe me.
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

Angela Christine

Allanaki Animals
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2006, 08:24:42 PM »
Quote from: "ashyom"
Kinda funny how things cycles.  About 2 years ago, players complained that there were too many critters in the deserts.  We agreed and lowered it.  Now ya'all are saying there's not enough...
Ashyom is Amused.

There were too many AGGRESSIVE creatures in the south.  Everything was aggressive!  Well, everything but a few jozhals.  

Even tiny snakes were aggressive!  Venomous snakes are capable of killing people, but they generally don't go around looking for people to poison, because they have no way of eating something that large.  Um, unless Zalanthan snakes have developed gnawing teeth in addition to fangs, which may be possible considering the feathered serpents and bird-like rodents.  But, in general, venomous snakes don't chase after people and other too-large-to-eat creatures, they attack people when they feel threatened.  They only have so much venom, and it takes time to make more, so if they bite everything that moves they may be defenseless when something dangerous or edible arrives (not a good survival strategy).

Then there were the gangs of spear-throwing gith.  Tarantulas behind every dune.  Scrabapalooza was in town every day.  Giant beetles galore!  Silt flyer conventions every week.  You couldn't get within 10 rooms of Red Storm without tripping over silt horror.  If you took off running you might reasonably expect to have half a dozen monsters after you before you either escaped or ran out of stamina and died.  And all those monsters would keep chasing you, almost none of them would rather fight each other than chase after one scrawny humanoid.

So it isn't just MORE creatures, but a balance between aggressive, neutral and fearful creatures.

Aggressive - Will move to intercept and attack PCs.  They are either extremely territorial, or they are hunting for food.  Man-sized food.

Semi-aggressive - They will probably attack if you enter their room, but they won't move to intercept or chase PCs.

Neutral - They do not immediately react to PCs in the area, you don't bother them and they probably won't bother you, but they may be quite dangerous if aroused.  They may be predators, but if so they are not interested in dwarf to half-giant sized prey, or maybe they just don't like the taste of humanoids.

Fearful - Flee as soon as anyone gets close to them.  They may be predators, but like many terrestrial predators they have learned to fear man.  
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Maybe42or54

Allanaki Animals
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2006, 08:27:29 PM »
Quote from: "Angela Christine"

Then there were the gangs of spear-throwing gith.  Tarantulas behind every dune.  Scrabapalooza was in town every day.  Giant beetles galore!  Silt flyer conventions every week.  You couldn't get within 10 rooms of Red Storm without tripping over silt horror.  If you took off running you might reasonably expect to have half a dozen monsters after you before you either escaped or ran out of stamina and died.  And all those monsters would keep chasing you, almost none of them would rather fight each other than chase after one scrawny humanoid.

With the exception of silt horrors, I loved those days.
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime