Author Topic: Allanaki Animals  (Read 6425 times)

Larrath

Allanaki Animals
« on: January 07, 2006, 04:18:13 PM »
Is any staffer interested in getting a bunch of new animals to live outside Allanak?
None of them are intended to be very dangerous,.
Quote from: Vesperas
...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Delirium

• Helper
Allanaki Animals
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2006, 04:44:26 PM »
I would love to write up some little critters for outside Allanak.

I would like to see them be a source of already-existing materials, however, or fill a previously existing gap, instead of introducing "new" materials that would need to be worked into crafts and shops.

Such as snakeskins, feathers, bones, etc.
Will they tell your story in the end?
Who lives, who dies, who tells your story?

Allanaki Animals
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2006, 06:09:33 PM »
I suggested this once, and the staff said they were always open to suggestions/submissions. However, another player contacted me, and told me they were worried about new species breaking the Darksun atmosphere. Apparently, they were big fan of Darksun, and seeing a bunch of non-Darksun critters running around would hamper their enjoyment of the game. Not wanting to unintentionally ruin the game for anyone, I never sent anything in.
I don't know. Just something to take into consideration.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
You find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
A staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

bloodfromstone

Allanaki Animals
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2006, 08:12:39 PM »
I think it's been stated quite a few times (by staff once or twice, if I'm not mistaken) that Arm is its own entity, despite being DS based. I'd love to see more animals running around created by the players, Darksun or not.
eeling YB, you think:
     "I can't believe I just said that."

Desertman

Right
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2006, 08:15:12 PM »
I would love to see more -dangerous- species around Nak. Pretty much now all you have is.....(Insect A).....(Lizard B).....then horrible critters. I want to see more creatures between A and B and the horrible fellas. Just hard enough to whoop the slopping cold piss out of a newbie but not so hard that three newbies, or a battle hardened old coger couldnt kill them. Also I have always thought that more gith would scour the areas west of Nak, praying on the miners that would be some serious easy pickings. And mining expeditions would come into play real quick the way you see groups of salt foragers ever so often now. I have always wanted to see the occasional braxat loping across the wave dunes outside of Nak as well. But I think just increasing the number/types of already existing creatures would benefit the game.....A shell-scarred, old scrab?....A light-black, small beetle?.....A young, reddish scrab?....Also I have always wanted to see more wild kanks in game, and down south seems like a decent place for a few of them, with all of the kank ranches around a few have to escape from time to time, or wild clutches surely exist or manage to roam through the area.

Anyways if they did want more critters, I would be more than happy to write a few up......And I always wanted them to put fire ants back in too...Fire ants were the Highlord's kickin' shiznit....Ummmm yea.  :wink:
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
The young daughter has been filled.

Intrepid

Allanaki Animals
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2006, 08:58:38 PM »
I'd like to see the bottom of the food chain myself.  Rodents, roaches,
barakhan lizards, etc.  Anything that's smaller than human at this point
in the southlands as long as it's appropriate to the area.

It could very well be that the ecosystem in Vrun Driath is no longer stable.
Proud Owner of her Very Own Delirium.

Agent_137

• a crapy clawn
Allanaki Animals
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2006, 12:08:00 AM »
screw darksun.

Let's see some new critters.

Khorm

Allanaki Animals
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2006, 12:47:56 AM »
I would like to see more creatures running around that have defensive mechanisms other then "claws at you". I have seen a few, but they seem relatively few and far between.

Something that is small and fragile, but occasionally shoots lasers out of its eyes would be a nice change to the auto-flee variety of creatures.
Her head is average.

spawnloser

Allanaki Animals
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2006, 02:25:46 AM »
New critters ARE DarkSun, though.  There were groups of people that went out in search of new mutant creatures (like the gaj) in the DarkSun version of things.  In the novels, the gaj was a basically unique creature, being a new mutation.  Other new creatures are entirely possible.
Quote from: Malifaxis
We need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiteration
spawnloser knows all

Quote from: Spoon
A magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Olgaris

• Legend
Allanaki Animals
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2006, 03:00:30 AM »
Feel free to e-mail me these submissions. I'll see if I can get some of them in.

olgaris@armageddon.org
You give your towering mound of dung to the inordinately young-spirited Shalooonsh.
the inordinately young-spirited Shalooonsh sends:
     "dude, how'd you know I was hungry and horny?"

Sanvean

• My Website
Allanaki Animals
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2006, 01:12:33 PM »
However, another player contacted me, and told me they were worried about new species breaking the Darksun atmosphere. Apparently, they were big fan of Darksun, and seeing a bunch of non-Darksun critters running around would hamper their enjoyment of the game.

This is totally not true.  Don't be afraid to submit creatures on this account.

Maybe42or54

Allanaki Animals
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2006, 10:04:29 PM »
Does anyone mind if I send in a poisonous, small creature?

I'd personally hate it if we had a bunch of auto-flee creatures like the north has.

Thats just me.
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Vesperas

Allanaki Animals
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2006, 01:41:51 PM »
Is this still open?

Also, what kind of things should be included in a submission for animals (since I'm assuming its different from items)?

ashyom

• Legend
Allanaki Animals
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2006, 02:32:46 PM »
Kinda funny how things cycles.  About 2 years ago, players complained that there were too many critters in the deserts.  We agreed and lowered it.  Now ya'all are saying there's not enough...
Ashyom is Amused.

Vesperas

Allanaki Animals
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2006, 02:42:26 PM »
I'm not saying there arn't enough. :)

I just wanna attempt to contribute, and biology and animals are my forte. :|  Who knows, I might throw out something mildly interesting (or totally and completely useless).

Tamarin

Allanaki Animals
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2006, 02:42:50 PM »
I don't, personally, think that there are too many, Ashyom.  On average there seems to be a good amount, although sometimes the concentration seems inconsistent.  One day, you'll go out hunting and find a huge clump of critters around the same area, and the next day it will be completely barren.  Just my casual observation.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

Vesperas

Allanaki Animals
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2006, 02:54:54 PM »
I think this may also have a lot to do with those 'uber' hunters that go around, even though the docs says Zalanthans are typically quite aware of overhunting (unlike those petty Earthlings... may be some sentiment left over from pre-Apocolypse.. who knows?).

One of the ideas I'd like to see borderlines on a domesticated animal, which would be more difficult to add into the game than some wild super-dangerous thing found only on the farthest reaches of the known world.  

I kind of feel that for the dangerous environment that the world is set in, ther e really arn't that many domesticated animals being actively used.  Sure, there are plenty virtual ones that no one ever sees unless you just make it a point to go looking for them, but for the main part the only things players (who are not hunters) ever come in contact with are kanks and similar creatures.

I'm not asking for more mounts to be put in, or to suddenly add in the awesome cool feature of owning (living) pets (unless this was very carefully done, you'd have everyone and their brother owning one).  Why are there no beasties playing guard-hound around house compounds, or used in the militias?  They are much more expendable than half-giants, I'd think, and they don't talk back. :P

Edited to add:  There are other things animals could be used for.  Salt/spice-sniffing (for those houses interested in that), entertainment, construction (although I've seen a few cases where these were already used), hunting, magicker-sniffing. :P

As for environment, I never see any small- to medium-sized animal room-emotes in cities and the such, where there are a large number of people (barring sewers and filth-ridden places).  The real-world equivilants of stray cats and the occasional dog type-things (not wild rats and tiny cockroaches darting across bars).

Yokunama

Allanaki Animals
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2006, 03:14:30 PM »
Quote from: "Intrepid"
I'd like to see the bottom of the food chain myself. Rodents, roaches, barakhan lizards, etc.  Anything that's smaller than human at this point in the southlands as long as it's appropriate to the area.

It could very well be that the ecosystem in Vrun Driath is no longer stable.

Rodents, roaches, and other beast do exist in the south. Their size ranges from smaller to larger than humans. The animal varietes are out there for you to find and discover.

Code: [Select]
>drop pants
 You do not have that item.

Rindan

Allanaki Animals
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2006, 03:48:58 PM »
I personally would rather see animals that are very dangerous, but not in the traditional way.  Things that have maxxed out combat are not interesting.  They just pwn your ranger.  End of story, go home.  They make the wilds a place better suited for a warrior.  What I like to see is animals that offer danger of a unique type.

Imagine a parasite that will attach to you or your kanks leg without you knowing and start draining your SP.  It will eventually knock you out and start draining your HP until you die.  A skilled ranger might notice the parasite attaching with a high scan skill.  If you tear the parasite off, you risk it doing massive amounts of damage to you.  If you have a high skinning skill though, you can carefully remove it and eat it.  So, your average Byn warrior might not bother to check his kank regularly, get one of these things stuck to his kank, then have his kank suddenly pass out.  After a while the Byn warrior might realize what is up, and try and tear the parasite off, killing his kank in the process.  Even worse, the Byn might get the kank stuck on him and never notice his SP dropping until he is knocked out and headed for Drovís gate.

Imagine a small snake like creature that can slip into your inventory undetected (with a high scan), drink your water, then slip away.

Hell, I would like to see piles of different types scripted of parasites.  Some would be irritating, some would be potentially lethal.  All could be countered with a high scan to spot them early, or a high skinning skill to remove them carefully.

Imagine a creature that is specially designed to kill kanks.  It is a small creature with a powerful poison that only harms kanks.  The poison will knock the kank out, and if the creature is not killed quickly, the creature will kill the unconscious kank.  A skilled ranger would see the creature in the distance and avoid it.  Your average Byner might run right over it, have his kank knocked out, kill the creature easily, but be stuck with a sleeping kank in the middle of the desert.

Stuff along those lines would make the desert a challenge without making it feel like I need 215% in combat pwn3g skills to survive it.

ashyom

• Legend
Allanaki Animals
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2006, 03:55:30 PM »
Rindan, I like these ideas.  If you like, write up a few more and email them to me (cc the mud), and I'll make sure they're posted for future scripters to use as inspiration.
-Ash

JustThisGuy

Allanaki Animals
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2006, 03:56:11 PM »
Maybe this is my imagination, but it seems to me that animals get more difficult to handle the further you get from cities.  Does it seem that way to anyone else?  I would rather see more dangerous animals near the cities and more fluffy bunny types way the heck away from most civilization.  It just seems that the poisons get more dangerous and the beasties get nastier the farther out you go.

Larrath

Allanaki Animals
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2006, 04:27:48 PM »
Quote from: "JustThisGuy"
Maybe this is my imagination, but it seems to me that animals get more difficult to handle the further you get from cities.

Any jozhals that hung around too close to Allanak's walls would be hunted down very quickly by any of the NPCs/VNPCs passing near.
I want more of everything around Allanak.  The Vrun Driath is a drier, deader place than the Gol Krathu, but this doesn't mean it should have more wildlife.  All it means is that the wildlife should be suited to a harder life - burrowing creatures, various leeching types, nocturnal predators and creatures that base their hunting on poison or a couple of crippling attacks to finish the fight quickly.
I'd like to see some smaller desert spiders (gortok-sized, say) hang around Allanak, or acid-spitting birds, or all sorts of exotic insects and maybe a couple of small mammals and beetles.

I've sent in a scorpion and a lizard-type critter, and exciting other creatures might follow.
Quote from: Vesperas
...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Delirium

• Helper
Allanaki Animals
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2006, 04:32:52 PM »
I like those ideas, Larrath.

I ever get some free time, I fully plan on writing up some unique creatures with equally unique (but already coded) styles of attack.
Will they tell your story in the end?
Who lives, who dies, who tells your story?

JustThisGuy

Allanaki Animals
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2006, 04:37:18 PM »
SNAKES!!  Hardly enough snakes around 'Nak, especially given the desert environment.

Yokunama

Allanaki Animals
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2006, 04:39:30 PM »
I'd like to see reptiles more than anything, from the size of a half-giant to the length of a human's arm.

>drop pants

JustThisGuy

Allanaki Animals
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2006, 04:39:53 PM »
Oooh.  Constricting snakes.  The kind that do a subdue and coil around you, slowly crushing your SP and HP until you die.  C'mon.  That is such a cool idea.  And then it eats you and your corpse and items become part of its inventory.  And then someone else kills it and skins it with a chance to retrieve items.  I like it, so it must be done!

Vesperas

Allanaki Animals
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2006, 05:06:20 PM »
More people-eating!

What a great idea.  XD

Allanaki Animals
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2006, 05:19:39 PM »
I don't know about a snake-thing that'll retain your corpse and all your items, as soon as this happened, the first time some buffed up noob killed one and ended up as rick as Tek, they'd come into a tavern boasting about the money-pot they just found. Then we'd have packs of lil warrior noobs going out in group to kill these things and split the bounty.

Instead of corpse and full inventory, the code could pick some random, hard to digest items in the inventory. Stone chisel, obsidian nose ring, handful of coins, etc. Not an entire inventory. Kind of like when some sea fisherman catches and hauls in a shark, and they find a liscense plate in the stomach. After all, even if the thing swallowed up the whole person, eventually some of these things would probably pass through or be spit out, like owl pellets they hack up with the bones and fur of rodents.

There's an idea, maybe while some of the items desolve and are digested/unusable, it hacks up pellets with the bones and some inventory? Just a thought. *shrug*
Quote from: jhunter
I'm gonna show up at your home and violate you with a weedeater.  :twisted:

rishenko

Allanaki Animals
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2006, 05:31:39 PM »
Snakes

Scorpions

A swarm of blood sucking desert mosquitos.  Run like hell or die.

Trap door creatures in the desert that wait for unsuspecting wanderers, wrapping a tongue around their legs.  They then have to battle the tongue within a certain amount of time before they are sucked in and killed.

Itty bitty creatures that you don't "fight" per se, just one hit kills for small amounts of nourishment.  Tiny lizards, horny toads, desert mice and other mammilians.  Instead of foraging for food, you would "scan" for food, different little creatures in different parts.

Speaking of parasites, how about some parasites that are hidden in the fleshy plants and cacti found out on the wastes?  Secondly, how about parasites that aren't deadly, they just impede your strength and endurance, make your guy sick for a few days.

Also, how about plants that release pollen as you pass through a league in the wild, causing you to see creatures that aren't there, or make you blind for a few hours, or cause you to lose a crapload of stun points?

I would also be interested in seeing a species that had telepathic abilities, such that if you kill one of their kind, all other individuals of that species within a few leagues, or across all of Zal would be alerted to your actions.  Almost like a crim code from animals, these creatures would go aggro on you if you were anywhere nearby.  Make them poisonous, let them track, let others appear in a pack as they attack you.  Sure, their hide is worth something, but it would suck if you were a twink resting after taking down a gizhat, only to find three of these creatures suddenly appearing and whooping your ass.

JustThisGuy

Allanaki Animals
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2006, 06:25:07 PM »
I've thought about pack hunters before.  I know there are certain animals that will hunt together already, but how about more?  Not necessarily mean beasties on their own, but when they are a pack, look out.

Yokunama

Allanaki Animals
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2006, 06:58:18 PM »
Whats up with all these aggressive animals?

Where are the dangerous, non-aggressive (until provoked) animals?

>drop pants

Ktavialt

Allanaki Animals
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2006, 07:16:21 PM »
Rindan, rishenko, others... great ideas. Rangers need to be the top dawgs
in the wilds.

Conspiracy Theory

Allanaki Animals
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2006, 07:40:52 PM »
Whats up with all these aggressive animals?

Where are the dangerous, non-aggressive (until provoked) animals?

It's true.

I've always thought there was kind of an abundance of predator and a lack of prey in Zalanthas. You figure if there's even a small population of really huge destructive eat-sleep-kill stuff out there like silt horrors, mekillots, and bahamets, there'd have to be an awful lot of stuff other than PCs out there for them to feed on.

As for just around Allanak itself, I rather like a lot of the ideas here. Hope to see them soon.
>necksnap amos

You try and snap the tall, muscular man's neck but fumble and snap your own!

Welcome to Armageddon!  '(mantishead)

Maybe42or54

Allanaki Animals
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2006, 07:45:04 PM »
Well. There are.
Corpses from the city feed scrabs well enough.
Then there are all the animals that look just like the sand.
Then there are animals that only come out at night.
Ones you have to dig for.

But they may not all be represented by coded NPCs.
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Oxidised Lizard

Allanaki Animals
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2006, 09:23:24 AM »
Great parasite ideas Rindan.

Hexxaex

Allanaki Animals
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2006, 10:31:53 AM »
Quote from: "Rindan"
Imagine a small snake like creature that can slip into your inventory undetected (with a high scan), drink your water, then slip away.

I can see it now...

A desert that's hotter than your mother[NESW]
My, it's hot.  Lots of sand here and there and yeah, hot.

>inventory
You are carrying:
  a leather waterskin
  a thin, lumpy snake

>think wtf?
You think:
     "wtf?"

>junk snake
A thin, lumpy snake easily evades your junk.

>say dammit
You say in sirihish:
     "Dammit"

>junk snake
A thin, lumpy snake easily evades your junk.

>junk snake
You break a thin, lumpy snake.

>think Victory!
You think:
     "Victory!"
*blank* hmms to himself, carefully peeing across the ground.
Quote from: Raesanos
I want to kill everyone.

Sarah

Allanaki Animals
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2006, 11:53:44 AM »
Uh... I think I'll stay inside the city from now on.... :D
*runs and hides*
For those regarded as warriors, when engaged in combat
The vanquishing of thine enemy can be the warrior's only concern.
Suppress all human emotion and compassion.
Kill whoever stands in thy way...

Tuannon

Allanaki Animals
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2006, 03:29:18 AM »
I would like to see some variety among the scrab population for a start, such as those suggested. Maybe a little variation too between a crusty, scar shelled scrab and a pristine shelled scrab or what have you in terms of both fighting ability and phat lewts.

Also in terms of areas around 'Nak, why could we not have a little more bleed in from areas bordering the hinterlands of Allanak? Perhaps a runt scorpion or whatever displaced from its normal range.. that sort of thing.

As for the non-aggressive beasties.. farm animals with tenders as appropriate.. 'cattle' drives.. wild kanks, chalton (apparently there is a chalton slaughterhouse, but I have never seen a wild chalton). Obviously I would have to work harder on the ecosystem of Allanak in order to forward actual quasi-Athasian prey animals.. but there you go.

Agent_137

• a crapy clawn
Allanaki Animals
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2006, 01:53:42 PM »
Halaster was working on Sim-Desert awhile back, I don't know the level of it's progress. But suppossedly it was a realistic set of critters that represent a whole ecosystem.

Yokunama

Allanaki Animals
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2006, 03:20:18 PM »
I wish there were more meaty animals, besides the dangerous ones you have no chance of taking down in the south.

>drop pants

Nao

Allanaki Animals
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2006, 04:13:06 PM »
Quote from: "Tuannon"
Maybe a little variation too between a crusty, scar shelled scrab and a pristine shelled scrab or what have you in terms of both fighting ability and phat lewts.

We DEFINITELY need more different scrabs. they can'T all be texactly the same size and shape, can they? well, maybe they could, but it would make things more interesting if they weren't.
In terms of fighting ability, there is already PLENTY of differenjce between all those scrabs that look the same, believe me.
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

Angela Christine

Allanaki Animals
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2006, 08:24:42 PM »
Quote from: "ashyom"
Kinda funny how things cycles.  About 2 years ago, players complained that there were too many critters in the deserts.  We agreed and lowered it.  Now ya'all are saying there's not enough...
Ashyom is Amused.

There were too many AGGRESSIVE creatures in the south.  Everything was aggressive!  Well, everything but a few jozhals.  

Even tiny snakes were aggressive!  Venomous snakes are capable of killing people, but they generally don't go around looking for people to poison, because they have no way of eating something that large.  Um, unless Zalanthan snakes have developed gnawing teeth in addition to fangs, which may be possible considering the feathered serpents and bird-like rodents.  But, in general, venomous snakes don't chase after people and other too-large-to-eat creatures, they attack people when they feel threatened.  They only have so much venom, and it takes time to make more, so if they bite everything that moves they may be defenseless when something dangerous or edible arrives (not a good survival strategy).

Then there were the gangs of spear-throwing gith.  Tarantulas behind every dune.  Scrabapalooza was in town every day.  Giant beetles galore!  Silt flyer conventions every week.  You couldn't get within 10 rooms of Red Storm without tripping over silt horror.  If you took off running you might reasonably expect to have half a dozen monsters after you before you either escaped or ran out of stamina and died.  And all those monsters would keep chasing you, almost none of them would rather fight each other than chase after one scrawny humanoid.

So it isn't just MORE creatures, but a balance between aggressive, neutral and fearful creatures.

Aggressive - Will move to intercept and attack PCs.  They are either extremely territorial, or they are hunting for food.  Man-sized food.

Semi-aggressive - They will probably attack if you enter their room, but they won't move to intercept or chase PCs.

Neutral - They do not immediately react to PCs in the area, you don't bother them and they probably won't bother you, but they may be quite dangerous if aroused.  They may be predators, but if so they are not interested in dwarf to half-giant sized prey, or maybe they just don't like the taste of humanoids.

Fearful - Flee as soon as anyone gets close to them.  They may be predators, but like many terrestrial predators they have learned to fear man.  
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Maybe42or54

Allanaki Animals
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2006, 08:27:29 PM »
Quote from: "Angela Christine"

Then there were the gangs of spear-throwing gith.  Tarantulas behind every dune.  Scrabapalooza was in town every day.  Giant beetles galore!  Silt flyer conventions every week.  You couldn't get within 10 rooms of Red Storm without tripping over silt horror.  If you took off running you might reasonably expect to have half a dozen monsters after you before you either escaped or ran out of stamina and died.  And all those monsters would keep chasing you, almost none of them would rather fight each other than chase after one scrawny humanoid.

With the exception of silt horrors, I loved those days.