Author Topic: Cloaks and what not  (Read 1233 times)

Khorm

Cloaks and what not
« on: January 22, 2003, 03:10:45 PM »
Okay, I'm fairly new to Armageddon (been playing slightly over a month) and i recently ran into a situation i'm just a little confused about. I had a thief steal from me, and chased them back towards the rinth, then ran in to the person again near the commoners quarter. And my question is this: Would would my character realistically be able to recognize about the thief is I were to see the person again, either cloaked or not. I mean, you can see their desc and what-not thru the cloak, but it doesn't seem right to be able to see their un-cloaked character and just jump on them b/c of that. We were both running full-tilt through the streets/bazaar etc, would I be able to catch a glimpse of their hair? skin? I dunno.
Her head is average.

Anonymous

Cloaks and what not
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2003, 03:33:08 PM »
Depends on the scenario to me.

A cloak isn't a magickal invisible ward.  I generally will take the desc and focus on things I would see on the person's face and neck, since a cloak won't cover these.

That's my opinion though, since I view cloaks in my mind as being a lot like those featured in Dune.

Bestatte

• Posting Privileges Revoked
Cloaks and what not
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2003, 03:35:32 PM »
Well you'd be able to recognize certain things I think:

If their desc indicates a limp, you would recognize how he moves. If the desc indicates that he's very tall, huge, monstrous, tiny, very skinny (moreso than the "average elf"), emaciated, etc..you might recognize a body size.

If their desc indicates very long hair, particularly an unusual color, you might get a glimpse of the hair flying out of his hood. If he's facing you - or if you imagine him looking over his shoulder to find out if you're still chasing him, you *might* get a look at his face - if he's wearing a veil, you wouldn't, but still would see eye-shape and possibly coloring if he's within the same "block" as you.

In other words, there are certain body shapes and markings that your character would recognize, depending on how close or far away the person is from where you are at any given moment.

Plus, if he's running, you could be suspicious of him just on general principal, even if he's not the right person. Elves run a lot I've noticed, and as we know, all elves are thieves, so it wouldn't be all that bad to run after one if it makes sense for your character to have a specific issue with elves.

Just be sure that you're adding to your character's knowledge only what you'd normally recognize on anyone wearing a cloak, from behind - and possibly that glance over his shoulder toward you.

Khorm

Cloaks and what not
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2003, 03:40:58 PM »
Well, I was in the side room of the Bard's Barrel w/ him, exchanged a few words, and he actually looked me in the eyes, before taking off. So I'd imagine that would have something to do w/ what I saw.

P.S. A thank you to the IMM that helped me out, even if it didn't amount to a damn thing.
Her head is average.