Author Topic: War Instruments  (Read 3068 times)

Manhattan

War Instruments
« on: December 12, 2005, 03:18:14 AM »
Code: [Select]
shofar glazed long hollowed horn

a long, glazed shofar

A long, hollowed horn lays here, its surface beaming.

The twisted horn of some grasslands beast has been hollowed out to make this shofar, used for signifying battle or calling to assembly. It stretches nearly two and a half cords in length and is masterly glazed into a lustrous sheen. Other then being removed from the animal's head and polished, the horn remains largely untampered with, still in its natural form. The mouth of the horn is smooth and straight-cut, tapering into a small opening which is the mouthpiece where one would blow through. The nature of the lengthy horn would seem to produce a powerful sound.  

horn

holdable, on_belt

command: play shofar
player echo: You puff your cheeks as you blow through the shofar, drawing out low, resonant tones.
room echo: The low, resonant sound of a shofar echoes in the surrounding area. (any nearby rooms would receive this room echo)
A foreign presence contacts your mind.

Larrath

War Instruments
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2005, 03:35:31 AM »
Please don't.  The last thing I want to see in this game is a shofar; it would simply damage my immersion.

Sorry.  The mdesc itself was very nice.
Quote from: Vesperas
...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Manhattan

War Instruments
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2005, 03:37:14 AM »
Quote from: "Larrath"
Please don't.  The last thing I want to see in this game is a shofar; it would simply damage my immersion.

Sorry.  The mdesc itself was very nice.

I understand you're Israeli, and I apologize.

Maybe change the word "shofar" to "war-horn" or something?

RunningMountain

• Posting Privileges Revoked
War Instruments
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2005, 03:38:08 AM »
The byn have a cool horn. I always wanted to kill that damn dwarf and take that shit into the streets of nak and use it.
A man's reputation is what other people think of him; his character is what he really is.

Manhattan

War Instruments
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2005, 03:44:14 AM »
http://www.alc1.org/images/joshua_with_shofar.gif

If you want to visualize how cool this would be. Blowing that horn before charging into battle.

Larrath

War Instruments
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2005, 03:47:52 AM »
Quote from: "Manhattan"
http://www.alc1.org/images/joshua_with_shofar.gif

If you want to visualize how cool this would be. Blowing that horn before charging into battle.

Yeah.  The problem is that it would be similar for you folk if Allanaki templars started crucifying traitors.  I won't have any trouble with it myself, but a few people are likely to get jarred.

I don't mind a war-horn as long as it's not used as a shofar - that is, in series of really curt blows.  I'd also like it to not look like a shofar, but an ordinary horn.

I guess it could be nice for tribals, anyhow.
...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Manhattan

War Instruments
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2005, 03:52:12 AM »
Yeah.  The problem is that it would be similar for you folk if Allanaki templars started crucifying traitors.  I won't have any trouble with it myself, but a few people are likely to get jarred.

Crucifying's been done. I didn't mind.

I don't mind a war-horn as long as it's not used as a shofar - that is, in series of really curt blows.  I'd also like it to not look like a shofar, but an ordinary horn.

How can you make a horn not look like a shofar? Think about it, a shofar is just a horn pulled off a ram's head. A horn is a shofar and a shofar is a horn. Not much you can do with its appearance.

Larrath

War Instruments
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2005, 04:02:46 AM »
Well, don't make it full of curves, I guess. :P

Cale_Knight

War Instruments
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2005, 05:22:55 AM »
Quote from: "Larrath"

I totally get goosebumps when they blow that thing in temple. I'd love to see a shofar-esque instrument in game. Obviously calling it a "shofar" would be out of line, but I think it's an extremely Zalanthan-style instrument.

*switches Winamp to "Crumblin' Down" by Mellencamp*
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

Gaare

War Instruments
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2005, 12:30:24 PM »
There are horns IG, which can be blown and gives sound to some rooms nearby.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. -MT

Scarborough

War Instruments
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2005, 04:21:49 PM »
It's logical that hollow horns of animals are turned into instruments.  It's also logical to not use earth words for such a thing.   What animals in game have horns?  I suppose a chitinous leg would even be hollow and could make a horn of some sort.  Something that goes from narrow to wider would be best.
es, Narnia, the film that teaches kids that Jesus is a lion that kills people by biting them in the face...

marko

War Instruments
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2005, 04:55:21 PM »
Duskhorn have curling horns for one.  There are others.

jhunter

War Instruments
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2005, 05:57:50 PM »
Code: [Select]
bugle duskhorn leather strap polished

a polished dushorn bugle with a leather strap

A wavy horn with a leather strap is lying discarded here.

The gracefully curling horn of a duskhorn has been glazed with some sort of laquer and polished to glossy sheen. A leather strap for carrying has been attached with a loop around one end and a small bone peg on the larger end of it. Some black-dyed leather has been tightly wound around it near the center providing a place for one to keep a firm grip while holding it. The smallest end of the horn has been carved a bit to make for more comfort when one's lips are placed upon it. It is obvious that this bugle would make a loud sound if blown through.

horn

holdable, worn on_belt or across the back

Command: play bugle

Player echo: You bring a polished duskhorn bugle to your lips and blow through the horn producing a deep sound that echoes loudly through the area.
Room echo: A deep bugling sounds out from nearby, echoing loudly through the area.

Obsidian Lord

War Instruments
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2005, 06:00:47 PM »
I submitted this a long time ago.  I wonder if it was ever added:

Item 1 of 1 :: A bleached bone war horn

Keywords:
    bleached bone war horn

Short Description:
    a bleached bone war horn

Long Description:
    A bleached bone war horn has been left here.

Main Description:
This large bone war horn has been bleached a pearly while and fitted with a long carru-hide strap to facilitate wearing it on one's belt or around the neck.  A simple geometric pattern of interlocking squares has been etched along the inner edge of the mouth of the horn while a baobab mouthpiece has been fitted to the other.

Item Material:
    bone

Item Price:

Wear Flags:
    hold, hang on belt, around neck

Supporting code:
Command syntax:
sound retreat, charge, formation

This command will echo to the room in which the horn blower is standing as well
as the "near", "far" and "very far" rooms.

The echo would look something like this:
You sound retreat on your bleach bone war horn.
The long-haired guy sounds retreat on a bleached bone war horn.
East, a long-haired guy sounds retreat on a bleached bone war horn.
Far to the east, a long-haired guy sounds retreat on a bleached bone war horn.
Very far east, the long-haired guy sounds retreat on a bleached bone war horn.
I conclude that since men love as they themselves determine but fear as their ruler determines, a wise prince must rely upon what he and not others can control."
The Prince

Anael

War Instruments
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2005, 02:44:09 PM »
Just as a sidenote, as far as I know, the command to use horns is "use horn" not "play horn"  :wink:
Quote from: Vanth
  A well-placed grunt can be worth a thousand words.