Sharpness

Started by The Lonely Hunter, January 21, 2003, 11:45:21 AM

There was a game I played for years before I can to Arm. Great game with some really cool features. Anyway, one of them was sharpness on weapons.

I think the levels of sharpness were dull, sharp, keen, honed. The sharpness gave diffrent unseen bonuses to damage and 'honed' could only be attained from another PC who had the crafting skill to repair/sharpen weapons.

I think this could add to the world in a pretty cool way and the adding of a 'sharpen weapon' skill would be cool. Of course there would have to be something diffrent for blunt weapons, I beleave the other mud used the generic 'new, used, etc' flags.

Just tossing something out there for discussion ;)
"People survive by climbing over anyone who gets in their way, by cheating, stealing, killing, swindling, or otherwise taking advantage of others."
-Ginka

"Don't do this. I can't believe I have to write this post."
-Rathustra

The benefit of blunt weapons, is they work just the same untill they aren't effective any more. Also why small stabbing weapons were made, they blades or tips were small enough using them didn't dull them so much as just shorten the blade, worked until the tip broke of further down at still could very well work untill made absolutely useless, didn't loose much lack of damage.

Long as the head of a hammer or mace is securely attached to the handle, it's going to work the same, and tends to last longer then a blade on a sword if it wasn't sharpened.

It could be useful, but it could very well take up alot of IC time. Most big fighter types that use their weapons alot tend to already put some IC time into maintaining their equipment, and I can see anyone with weapon skill also having skill in maintaining their weapon, it's common practice to teach someone how to keep their things working as you teach them to use it. Just like most people that go through computer train learn at least some basic problem solving techniques to use to keep them running.

Could be handy, good idea... SHRUG, but think if it was to be made realistic, peopled be fixing and sharpening their weapons constantly, and every other battle buying new weapons because they are worn down to the nub. I haven't seen the populace being that rich to hold that responsibility specially when playing an acctually warrior character.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

Quote from: "The Lonely Hunter"There was a game I played for years before I can to Arm. Great game with some really cool features. Anyway, one of them was sharpness on weapons.

I think the levels of sharpness were dull, sharp, keen, honed. The sharpness gave diffrent unseen bonuses to damage and 'honed' could only be attained from another PC who had the crafting skill to repair/sharpen weapons.

I think this could add to the world in a pretty cool way and the adding of a 'sharpen weapon' skill would be cool. Of course there would have to be something diffrent for blunt weapons, I beleave the other mud used the generic 'new, used, etc' flags.

Just tossing something out there for discussion ;)
i think its a great idea and weapon crafters should get a great bonus
et the sword be youre guide let you guide the sword.

Quote from: "The Lonely Hunter"There was a game I played for years before I can to Arm. Great game with some really cool features. Anyway, one of them was sharpness on weapons.

Out of curiosity, which MUD was it? Because there was a similar feature in a mud I know well, and its something that has been in the back of my mind for some time now.

Quote from: "The Lonely Hunter"I think the levels of sharpness were dull, sharp, keen, honed. The sharpness gave diffrent unseen bonuses to damage and 'honed' could only be attained from another PC who had the crafting skill to repair/sharpen weapons.

Allright, maybe it was a different one. The way I remember it, it was a skill given to one particular class. They could hone a weapon, which produced a "The edge of the blade has been well-honed" flag on the assess command, and also increased damage. The increase was based on the skill of the player who honed it, and a honed weapon could only be honed as long as it didn't already have the flag. The flag and bonus would eventually wear off, and you could hone it again (I believe it was time based, though usually a crash handled the matter).

Quote from: "The Lonely Hunter"I think this could add to the world in a pretty cool way and the adding of a 'sharpen weapon' skill would be cool. Of course there would have to be something diffrent for blunt weapons, I beleave the other mud used the generic 'new, used, etc' flags.

Well, I don't really think a skill or effect would be needed for blunt or slashing weapons, but I feel the hone skill would make a great addition to the current ones. It could be given as a starting skill to the weapons crafter subclass, and possibly branch off the slashing skill for those who have it in their main class. Since the different types of weapon flags (slashing, piercing, blunt) exist already and we can already assess items with different flags in them, it shouldn't in my opinion be impossible to code this. It would only show up in the assess command and it would need to change the main desc of the item. I think it would add an interesting dimension to weapons and the weapon crafting subclass.

Perhaps one of the imms who is competent with code and has a bit of time could take it up as a pet project? Just my two sid.

-Dwarven Gigolo.
eauty is a form of genius - is higher, indeed, than genius, as it needs no explanation. It is of the great facts in the world like sunlight, or springtime, or the reflection in dark water of that silver shell we call the moon.
-Oscar Wilde

Meh. My reply is a simple meh. Indifference, that's what meh means, I think. Honestly, this skill doesn't strike much interest in me... And I think I question the realism. Just a tad. No offense. The fact is that many of the weapons on Zalanthas are bone or wood. They aren't exactly the sharpest materials, and I think it'd be weird seeing some one walking around with the 'finely honed bone sword' or the 'razor-edged wooden scimitar'. Also, what exactly would you do with blunt weapons? I like to think that all the weapons categories are different but equal, and simply adding bonuses to slashing or piercing items would be a tiny bit unfair. Of course, I like to think that 'different but equal' stuff about a lot of things... And few seem to agree with me, heh. Anyways, I wouldn't whine if this code was implemented. But I'm certainly not overly-excited. Well, that's my two cents. See you all on Zalanthas.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

Meh.
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]