Food preservation

Started by Vesperas, December 07, 2005, 05:50:56 AM

On Zalanthas, fruit cans YOU.
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

If food does decompose, and this would happen often, I'd also expect Zalanthans to have some toleration of the toxins forming in there.
That's how, after all, us humans can drink booze; we developed that to be able to eat berries that had gone out of the date. And then noticed it got us drunk. Ate more, got more resistent. And so on.

Also, spice is a handy thing when cooking with older supplies - even just salt hides the ugly taste of things.

Still, I would go for drying - it's the cheapes available and possibly the most wide-used by commoners, only downside of it being that it wastes the water attached to the food.

(The timer thing is one good addition to the IC-preserving, though it would definately devastate some newbs that stock up insane amounts of food from anywhere they can find such~ Like myself. *cackle*)

There is no need for salt or anything, they simply use the same ingredients from that mcdonalds movie, supersize me, where the guy left the hamburger on the shelf for like 6 months and it didn't decay.

lol

Jarod

Drying food would be the easiest and most common way to preserve more precious things, like fruits and Veggies. All you really need to do is leave them out on a sunny window or on a rock. They'd be dried in no time.

For meats, I would say cooking them quickly is the best way to keep them fresh. No doubt Bloody fresh meat would spoil within hours. But once the meat has been salted and cooked, I am sure it could have a few days shelf life. You could also just keep re-heating it to keep bacteria away a few more days.
Quote from: jmordetskySarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."

Actually, curing meat involves smoking it over many hours' time.
Proud Owner of her Very Own Delirium.