Author Topic: Scars  (Read 13417 times)

Delirium

• Helper
Scars
« on: November 30, 2005, 03:21:23 PM »
I'd like to see lots more varied scars and options for missing fingers on the change locdesc guy.  Before I put my money where my mouth is, would this be something that an Immortal would be willing to work on adding in?

Also, would it be appropriate to pull up a list of the scars available, so that people have a reference of what already exists?
"There are no happy endings, because nothing ends." - Schmendrick

Delirium

• Helper
Scars
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2005, 07:03:18 PM »
To explain what I mean, I'll go ahead and post what I'd written up some time ago.  If they're used, great, if not, oh well.

As of now, we have few options for multiple scars that are scattered over the same location - we just have parallel scars, like from animal claws.  We also need missing body parts like fingers, ears, and all sorts of fun stuff like that.  

These are meant to fill in part of that gap.

I also wrote up two scars that are meant to signify a large or a small tattoo that was scraped off of the skin (obviously we're not going for full back tattoos here, but a tattoo the size of a hand or a few inches in diameter could be cut out.  Think that scene from Gladiator.)

(scar suggestions I wrote up later in this thread were added to this post)

Code: [Select]
a long, faded scar

A long, thin scar mars this section of skin, faded with time.  It is slightly wider in the middle than at the end, indicating that the skin was split open at some point in the distant past.

a couple long, faded scars

A couple long, thin scars mar this section of skin, both of them faded with time.  They are slightly wider in the middle than at the ends, indicating that the skin was split open at some point in the distant past.

a few long, faded scars

A few long, thin scars mar this section of skin, all of them faded, though some appear more recent than others.  They are slightly wider in the middle than at the ends, indicating that the skin was split open at some point in the distant past.

a few scattered scars

A few scars of various types mar the skin here, some more recent than others.  There is no apparent pattern to the markings, leading one to believe that they are the result of past battles rather than purposeful design.

several scattered scars

Several scars of various types mar the skin here, some more recent than others.  There is no apparent pattern to the markings, leading one to believe that they are the result of past battles rather than purposeful design.

many scattered scars

A multitude of scars of various types mar the skin here, some more recent than others.  There is no apparent pattern to the markings, leading one to believe that they are the result of past battles rather than purposeful design.

a large, welted patch of scarred skin

This scar is a wide, hand-sized patch of skin that is nothing but a welted, raised mass of scartissue.  It looks as if the skin here was scraped off at some point in the past, then eventually healed over.

a small, welted patch of scarred skin

This scar, a few inches in rough diameter, is nothing but a welted, raised mass of scartissue.  It looks as if the skin here was scraped off at some point in the past, then eventually healed over.

a scarred hole where the right ear should be

The right ear is missing from the side of this person's head, leaving behind a morass of webbed, puffy scartissue over a hole where the ear should be.

a scarred hole where the left ear should be

The left ear is missing from the side of this person's head, leaving behind a morass of webbed, puffy scartissue over a hole where the ear should be.

a large, purplish acid scar

A purplish discoloration covers a large patch of skin here. The edges are uneven and the scar's coloration is splotchy, as if a liquid had splashed against the skin and left the marking behind with its departure.

Edit: took suggestions from Jhunter

jhunter

Scars
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2005, 08:25:28 PM »
Hrrrmmm...thinking the loc desc for the missing ears should be different. After all, you aren't really seeing the "missing ear". Maybe..."a scarred hole"? And then the desc will point out that it is where that ear is missing with the scar tissue around it?

RunningMountain

• Posting Privileges Revoked
Scars
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2005, 07:50:49 PM »

a scar through the right eye

This vertical scar runs down through the right brow into the
eyelid and stops at the cheek. Though it didn't take the eye fully it looks like it was
quite painful and could possibly affect the vision.

a scar through the left eye

This vertical scar runs down through the left brow and into the
eyelid and stops at the cheek. Though it didn't take the eye fully it looks like it was
quite painful and could possibly affect the vision.

A man's reputation is what other people think of him; his character is what he really is.

Maybe42or54

Scars
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2005, 10:22:25 PM »
Why do I think I'd see those last two on every new killer Pc that gets created?
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

bloodfromstone

Scars
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2005, 02:33:41 AM »
They're extremely popular in main descriptions. Might as well be coded. :)
eeling YB, you think:
     "I can't believe I just said that."

Delirium

• Helper
Scars
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2005, 06:46:03 PM »
Quote from: "jhunter"
Hrrrmmm...thinking the loc desc for the missing ears should be different. After all, you aren't really seeing the "missing ear". Maybe..."a scarred hole"? And then the desc will point out that it is where that ear is missing with the scar tissue around it?

Good point, though I chose that phrasing because it would be pretty obvious that the ear was, indeed, missing, and other descriptions seemed a little too vague or awkward.

How about..

a hole covered with a web of scar tissue

Where this being's right ear should be, there is now only a hole, surrounded and partially covered by a web of puffy scar-tissue.

Then for the left ear, simply substitute right for left.

This makes it a little trickier to see at first glance which ear is missing, or what in fact that web of scar tissue is signifying, however.

Also, what about acid scars?  There is at least one case I can think of when they might be appropriate to have.

a large, purplish acid scar

A purplish discoloration covers a large patch of skin here. The edges are uneven and the scar's coloration is splotchy, as if a liquid had splashed against the skin and left the marking behind with its departure.

Hexxaex

Scars
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2005, 06:54:20 PM »
Quote from: "Maybe42or54"
Why do I think I'd see those last two on every new killer Pc that gets created?

Yep, I wouldn't doubt that new characters would get those and look to become the greatest warrior/hunter/fighting guy of all time, even with the serious vision problems that would ensue with a scar like that.
*blank* hmms to himself, carefully peeing across the ground.
Quote from: Raesanos
I want to kill everyone.

jhunter

Scars
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2005, 06:58:58 PM »
Quote from: "Delirium"
Quote from: "jhunter"

Good point, though I chose that phrasing because it would be pretty obvious that the ear was, indeed, missing, and other descriptions seemed a little too vague or awkward.

How about..

a hole covered with a web of scar tissue

Where this being's right ear should be, there is now only a hole, surrounded and partially covered by a web of puffy scar-tissue.

Then for the left ear, simply substitute right for left.

This makes it a little trickier to see at first glance which ear is missing, or what in fact that web of scar tissue is signifying, however.

How about:
a scarred hole where the right ear should be

It's longer perhaps but I think paints the picture a little better.

Delirium

• Helper
Scars
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2005, 07:09:18 PM »
Heh, I like it.  <thumbs up>

jhunter

Scars
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2005, 08:24:15 PM »
Oh yeah, having been victim to that one said occasion with a couple of pcs, I think that the acid scar thing would be a nice addition to our list of scars as well.

Cale_Knight

Scars
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2005, 08:40:36 PM »
I'd like to be able to get scars on the "right arm" or "left arm" and on other such areas where the wearlocs don't necessarily deliniate. Same with tattoos. Would this be difficult to code?

Some possibilities:

All covered by gloves
Right/Left palm.
Back of the right/left hand.
Across the knuckles of the left/right hand.

covered by boots
Sole of the left/right foot.

covered by a shirt
Right/left pectoral.
Belly.
Across chest.

covered by sleeves
Across the left/right bicep/tricep/forearm

And to cut down on spam, someone with multiple tattoos on an area that covers the same wearloc would show something like this:

the big, big-nosed man removes a pair of silk gloves, revealing a few/some/many tattoos/scars/tattoos and scars.[/code]
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

jhunter

Scars
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2005, 08:54:28 PM »
Yeah, I've often wanted the same thing.

RunningMountain

• Posting Privileges Revoked
Scars
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2005, 01:28:09 AM »
I had started a thread about ideas for more locations and a new equipment system. Let's not derail this ones purpose though here it is.

http://www.zalanthas.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=15004&highlight=stack+eq
A man's reputation is what other people think of him; his character is what he really is.

Cale_Knight

Scars
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2005, 04:23:15 AM »
I don't think anybody here is asking for new wearlocs or a new equipment system at all. I think we have plenty of equipment spaces.

I'd like to see more tattoo/scar locations, which is a different matter entirely.

Cale_Knight

Scars
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2005, 11:14:54 AM »
Quote from: "Thunder Lord"
Quote from: "Cale_Knight"

Reflecting on how the code works at covering tattoos/scars, the above is probably very hard to pull off.

Is it? I honestly have zero idea how the code works. Would telling the game "ok, where location A used to be covered by boots, now locations A, B, and C are covered by boots" be terribly hard to do?

Delirium

• Helper
Scars
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2005, 01:38:49 PM »
Hey guys?  Could you split this talk on tattoo locations off into another thread in code discussion?  I'd like to keep this thread relatively clean in case anyone does decide to drop by to use it.

Thanks.

Raesanos

Scars
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2005, 01:55:55 PM »
Added missing ears and a burn scar.  I made the ear short descriptions shorter.  I like being concise.  I used a different sdesc/desc for the burn scar to make it more generic, so it can be used for a variety of things.

rishenko

Scars
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2005, 02:37:41 PM »
Raesanos, can you add missing fingers as well?  I tried using a puckered scar on the hand before, rping out a missing digit, but an actual, noticeable, missing finger would be nice.

Although I realize how much of a pain this would be, along with possibilties for abuse (none come to mind off the top of my head), it would be great it we could add a generic scar and modify its s/m descs.   Just slap a character limit on both, allow a person to change it in the change locdesc room.   This way mdescs wouldn't have to be changed as much to reflect rp events and people wouldn't have to make sure they perform the proper emotes to display their battle/interrogation/self-inflected based mutilations.

Raesanos

Scars
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2005, 03:03:39 PM »
Quote from: "rishenko"
Raesanos, can you add missing fingers as well?  I tried using a puckered scar on the hand before, rping out a missing digit, but an actual, noticeable, missing finger would be nice.

Write 'em up write 'em up. "a missing finger" and "a missing thumb" would be great.

rishenko

Scars
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2005, 05:07:25 PM »
Scars For Fingers

a smooth, nubby scar in place of a thumb

Covering the space where a thumb should be is a smooth, pale scar patch that blends seamlessly with the surrounding skin.  The center protrudes slightly with a bulbous lump, the only remnant from a thumb removed by a sharp blade.

a jagged mass of scar tissue instead of a thumb

A mass of pink, twisted scar tissue runs from the lower portion of the index finger down to the wrist.  Several lumps press against the scar, stretching it and its web like design as the hand moves.

a scarred, partial index finger

Instead of a full index finger, only the bottom most joint remains.  The top two segments appear to have been removed by a clean blade, leaving behind a curved segment of pink scar tissue.

a jagged scar where middle finger used to be

The knuckle of the middle finger ends abruptly in a puckered, concave mass of scar tissue.  The jagged edges of the scar and the inward curving shape looks similar to the joint of a kankfly after one of its legs have been ripped off.

a scarred index finger with a partial fingernail

Most of the tip of this index finger was lost to a jagged blade or edge.  The wound has long since healed, but a fingernail sticks out haphazardly from the center of the scarred mass, it's end curving unnaturally away from the finger.

Each of the index and middle finger scars could be used for the four standard fingers (index, middle, ring, pinky) if the names are swapped.  If I need to make a separate listing for each finger, let me know.

Also, would you want any ideas for partially chopped off hands?

Raesanos

Scars
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2006, 01:07:57 AM »
I put in two (more generic) missing fingers for y'all.

HaiWolfe

Scars
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2006, 08:58:22 AM »
Here's some expansion to "a round, puckered scar" so that, like the others, there can be a pair, a few, etc. of them bought at once. Also, the original scar has a typo in it ("healded" should be "healed"), so I've included the fixed version below as well.
a round, puckered scar
This small scar is round and puckered, as though caused by some long-healed puncture.

a pair of round, puckered scars
These two small scars are round and puckered, as though caused by some long-healed punctures.

a few round, puckered scars
A number of small scars are scattered across the skin, their round and puckered shapes appearing to have been caused by multiple, long-healed punctures.

Delirium

• Helper
Scars
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2006, 07:01:20 PM »
a series of ragged scars

These ragged scars were caused by something puncturing and tearing the skin, and are arranged in a vaguely half-circular pattern.  Some of the scars have healed better than others, ranging from raised, angry bumps to smooth, pale scartissue.

This is, by the way, a scar for being bitten and mauled by something with teeth.

bloodfromstone

Scars
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2006, 05:59:22 PM »
a few of assorted scars

A handful of mismatched scars marr the skin, some faint, others dark and deep. A couple of simple, scarred lines denote cuts to the skin, while others take the shape of puncture marks or tears.

some assorted scars

A number of mismatched scars marr the skin, some faint, others dark and deep. A few simple, scarred lines denote cuts to the skin, while others take the shape of puncture marks or tears. Others still are too small or faded to glean their origins.

a mass of assorted scars

Countless mismatched scars marr the skin, some faint, others dark and deep. Simple, scarred lines mix with puncture marks and tears, overlapping and crossing with no pattern. Small, faded scars cover the flesh that the deeper marks neglect.
eeling YB, you think:
     "I can't believe I just said that."