Author Topic: Kitchen For the Bard's Barrel  (Read 3523 times)

Rindan

Kitchen For the Bard's Barrel
« on: November 30, 2005, 12:15:07 PM »
The Bardís Barrel lacks a kitchen.  It seems like all that food they serve has to come from some place.  Sure, this can be done virtually, but I donít think slapping a kitchen in would hurt.  If I wrote up a kitchen for the Bards Barrel, maybe an NPC or two, and smells/objects, exc, would anyone be interested popping it in?

Cuusardo

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2005, 12:32:50 PM »
I've never wondered where the food comes from myself before you brought this up.  But I realized that not all taverns have a room like that, even if you can buy food there.  Sanctuary and Firestorm are the only ones I've seen that have that, and even in Firestorm you have to buy the actual food in the other room.
Quote from: Anael
You know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

Sanvean

• My Website
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2005, 12:46:45 PM »
I'll stick it in if you write it up.

RunningMountain

• Posting Privileges Revoked
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2005, 03:54:19 PM »
Code: [Select]

Cookery of the Bard's Barrel [U]
   Stone stairs descend down into this busy underground kitchen.  Grills line the eastern wall and bone piping runs along the wall to take the smoke outside. Constantly in use; slaves and commonfolk scurry about with wide arrays of meat and other meals. A large cauldron bubbles over a fire, boiling some sort of stew. A massive stone tub takes up the entire western side of the kitchen, sending ale to the customers above.
   A staircase travels upward to the musical ruckus of the main room.
ďA man's reputation is what other people think of him; his character is what he really is.Ē

proxie

• Moose and Squirrel
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2005, 06:23:22 PM »
Perhaps something a bit different? With an exit south into the antechamber?  The Barrel itself is a very elaborate place that the original owners put a lot of thought into decorating. I can't really see their kitchen, even though they don't offer a full menu, not having some bit of decoration.

Proxie

The Kitchen of the Bard's Barrel

Little more than a crawlspace where food happens to be kept warm, this kitchen is inundated with the sounds of the gaming hall upstairs and the barroom past the antechamber. The walls have been painted a cheerful yellow, though the brightness has faded due to smoke and time. Simple designs were obvious through out the yellow, of trailing vines and simple vivid flowers, now barely visible through the grime of smoke and grease. A functional hearth holds a hearty fire, keeping pots of gith's eye soup bubbling, while an occasional batch of hot brandy cakes bakes or cools. A few threadbare servants hurry to run food and drink to the populated areas of the tavern.
For those who knew him, my husband Jay, known as Becklee from time to time on Arm, died August 17th, 2008, from complications of muscular dystrophy.

Bogre

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2005, 10:23:20 PM »
Yeah, I would think it would be some tiny space that is designed to take up as little of the volume of the tavern as possible.  And don't have it opening into the antechamber...thats silly.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2005, 10:52:54 PM »
Would you really have the kitchen in the basement? Allow all the smoke to drift up and choke the patrons?
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
You find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
A staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

Maybe42or54

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2005, 11:35:48 PM »
I'd prefer if it wasn't open to the public in any case.
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Manhattan

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2005, 11:45:09 PM »
the kitchens of any tavern should not be accessible to the public. i mean, a complete fuckhead is strolling into their businessplace lollygaggin. there should be a coded script where the cook and servants usher the PC out. there's a script in the 'rinth where the npc ushers the PC out for barging into that private room.

to reiterate, kitchens are private areas. are you allowed into the backroom of Black Angus and watch em make steak? I think NOT
A foreign presence contacts your mind.

Scarborough

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2005, 11:55:35 PM »
Heh, I wrote one too this afternoon.  So many choices now:

Name: A Small, Cluttered Kitchen

Desc:
   A thick, grey linen curtain hangs from a bone rod, seperating the noisy common room from this dually noisy kitchen.  The windowless walls are smudged grey and brown from years of cooking smoke dulling the white-painted stone walls.  Bone and wooden cooking implements dangle from hooks and racks hanging from the slightly domed ceiling where a covered vent at the apex allows smoke and steam to escape.  Lanterns are hung from the walls over cooking stations that, with the added light from fires, fill the room with a warm glow.  Along one wall, deeply curving pots of chitin hang over fires smoldering in dirt pits.  Along another wall smaller fires burn beneath small kilns of earthenware where bustling servers and guests do their baking.  Servers rush by shouting orders to cooks bent over pots and kilns.  Next to the kilns a large, rustic bowl of clay is filled with sand while another similar bowl next to it holds dirty dishes to scrub.  A work table sits in the middle of the small room.  Small shelves below it hold clean serving ware, wooden mugs and carved utensils.  

Extras:
chitin, pots, pot: Thick-walled, curving section insectoid chitinous shell has been hung from bone hooks over a smoldering fire.  In one, soup bubbles and balls of tough cheese float on the surface. Another is empty, the fire beneath it glowing coals waiting to be stoked.

kiln kilns: Several earthenware kilns, thick walled and box shaped, are set low to the ground over pits of hot coals.  A cord and a half on all sides, the kilns have a loose, square slab of pottery with a round knob for a handle, and can be removed from the front of the kiln.

table: A roughly carved wooden table is deeply scarred from years of sharp knives biting into its surface.  Various stains from meat and spices color its surface to a mottled, aged brown.  Several skinning knives lay on the pitted surface.

racks rack: A small round rack of carved bones tied together with oiled twine hangs from the ceiling. Bone and chittin pots and pans, carved wooden spoons hang from s-shaped hooks of more carved bone and wood.

rustic bowl sand:  An enormous rustic clay bowl, two cord in diameter, sits on the ground.  It is filled with relatively clean, pale, tan sand.  A small wooden water cup sits in the middle of the bowl, half filled with sand.  A second clay bowl, as large as the sand filled bowl, is half filled with dirty dishes and even dirtier sand.

Night Desc: none, since it's indoors and no windows

Smell:  
A smoky scent of roasting meat in the air, tinged with cooking spices and the tang of ale simmering in chitin pots.

Exits: north to the common room (closeable and named "a linen curtain")
es, Narnia, the film that teaches kids that Jesus is a lion that kills people by biting them in the face...

LauraMars

• Helper
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2005, 01:49:12 AM »
I wrote a cook.

Code: [Select]
Fenna, dreadlocked, blonde, human, female, cook

the dreadlocked blonde cook

Stirring a pot of soup, the dreadlocked blonde cook keeps a watchful eye on the kitchen.

Wild, corded blonde hair, tied in a loose tail and darkened with smoke, cascades from the head of this tall, spare looking woman.  Her tanned skin, rippled with the hint of toned musculature, is similarily smudged and marked with the smoke and grease of kitchen fires, the smoke collecting in and emphasizing the thin lines around her eyes and forehead.  Jade green eyes, set above high cheekbones, stare sternly out from her taut, lined face.  A long, slightly crooked nose tops a pair of pale but full lips.

Eager to assert her independance and provide for her large, hungry family, Fenna immediately seized the chance to work at the Bard's Barrel where she has been since the age of 16.  Though many of her siblings are now dead, her mother lives still with the last four of her brothers and sisters.  Fenna cares very much for her family and the state of the kitchen in the Barrel.  She realizes that a well-ordered kitchen is easier to attend to and manage, and is very strict about enforcing this.

human, 34, female, warrior, house servant

Highly advanced cooking skill, and a moderate throw skill.  She hits people with her ladle.

<worn in hair> a multicolored leather cord
<worn in right ear> a twisted earring of yellow bone
<worn in left ear> a red stone earring
<worn on torso> a faded cotton shirt
<secondary hand> a wooden ladle
<worn as belt> a black belt
<worn on legs> a blue and white sandcloth skirt
<worn on feet> a pair of thin black leather sandals

southern accent, would say things like "The name's Fenna.  Welcome to the Bard's Barrel." or "Highlord preserve me, the buns are burning!"

I went through my logs and found some likely clothing on npcs, so if that makes things easier, great, if not, that's ok.

Comments, criticisms, concerns, changes?
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

RunningMountain

• Posting Privileges Revoked
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2005, 04:12:34 PM »
Quote from: "FiveDisgruntledMonkeysWit"
Would you really have the kitchen in the basement? Allow all the smoke to drift up and choke the patrons?

Read the description, the grills have bone pipes that allow that catch the smoke and take it out to the chimneys.
ďA man's reputation is what other people think of him; his character is what he really is.Ē

Maybe42or54

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2005, 07:07:18 PM »
Bones pipes are a bit much. Please tell me they don't exist IG.
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Socko

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2005, 07:10:54 PM »
There are (if my memory serves me correctly, there's one example of this right outside The Barrel) clay-cast pipes out there. Bone wouldn't be much of a stretch if they were plenty crude and made out of a large enough creature.
"The most important thing is to find out what is the most important thing." -- Shunryu Suzuki

Larrath

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2005, 01:26:09 AM »
Quote from: "Socko"
There are (if my memory serves me correctly, there's one example of this right outside The Barrel) clay-cast pipes out there. Bone wouldn't be much of a stretch if they were plenty crude and made out of a large enough creature.

Those are sewer pipes (or something), though, and they're covered in filth if I remember correctly.  They're not used for moving smoke.  I can think of one place in Allanak that has a large bone funnel used to trap smoke, though that place was an expensive, valuable and small kitchen.
I also don't want to really see these things become common.

First it's the smoke trappers, then we have special ceramic thermoses to keep our tea grr hot, and before we know it a blue-robed templar is riding around on a bone scooter doing some phat trix before throwing a traitor into a giant man-shaped microwave.

Low tech is best, and I wouldn't want underground either.  Just a place with lots of ventilation.  Remember that the Barrel isn't half as fancy as most people seem to think.
The Bard's Barrel is a dusty, overcrowded tavern with scratched multicolored tables that can't sit right that stand on [painted] red ceramic floor which is bordered by enthusiastically paint-splashed mudbrick walls that have a large wooden bench that surrounds the entire room holding vividly painted skulls of every race imagineable.

I'd like the kitchen to look like a Fale threw up on it, too.  And then it can puff in rancid smoke into the common room to make the nobles realize that while they can go there, it's not really normal and not really pleasant.
Quote from: Vesperas
...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Socko

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2005, 03:51:20 AM »
I agree that low-tech is best -- as far as I'm concerned, just a couple of gaps in the ceiling or a fireplace-type chute works just as well. I think that the Barrel should either have an equally chaotic and cool kitchen, or a very plain and utilitarian one.

After all, if only cooks and servers are going back there, what's the point in decorating? It could be more fun if it did have some decor, though.
"The most important thing is to find out what is the most important thing." -- Shunryu Suzuki

path

• they fight crime
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2005, 07:35:54 AM »
Maybe thats where all the bones which once accompanied the painted skulls are stored ;)

Sanvean

• My Website
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2005, 02:39:17 PM »
Added in.  I agree that most people won't need to go back there, but it makes the world feel a little more complete.  If it gets abused as a place to hide from the militia or something like that, we can see about adding in something to make that less abusable.  

I ended up using a medley of everyone's suggestions, relying most heavily on Proxie and LauraMars' descriptions.  Thanks, guys!