Author Topic: Mansa's Building Hints.  (Read 1677 times)

mansa

Mansa's Building Hints.
« on: November 30, 2005, 12:31:16 AM »
I thought I'd like to add my own pet peeve in here.

I believe sdesc lengths shouldn't be longer than 55 characters for items that are worn on a character.  The Telnet Terminal is 80 characters in length, and there is 25 characters of '<worn on ----------   >  ' and spaces before the start of the sdesc of the item when you look at someone.  

Therefore, I believe that the game should stick to a regular outline of having clothing items be no longer than 55 characters, because it looks bad to have one super long item that causes it to span onto the next line, just to add that special insignia on it.

What do you say, Sanvean?  Do you agree?
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Sanvean

• My Website
Sdesc lengths
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2005, 12:39:05 AM »
I split this off since I'd like to keep the other thread from digressing.

I'd rather not set a formal limit for sdescs, because invariably there is some exception and the possible state flags also vary according to object type.

amoeba

Re: Mansa's Building Hints.
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2005, 12:39:33 AM »
Quote from: "mansa"
I believe sdesc lengths shouldn't be longer than 55 characters for items that are worn on a character.  The Telnet Terminal is 80 characters in length, and there is 25 characters of '<worn on ----------   >  ' and spaces before the start of the sdesc of the item when you look at someone.

The standard dumb terminal is, but hardly anyone is stuck on a fixed dumb monitor these days.   It is a trivial matter to stretch your client out to longer than 80 characters, so the limitation is somewhat abitrary. I think 80 in some cases is a bit limited, but I do agree a limit of some sort should be there.
quote="Morgenes"]
Quote from: "The Philosopher Jagger"
You can't always get what you want.
[/quote]

Larrath

Sdesc lengths
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2005, 02:48:36 AM »
Even an object with 10 characters in its short description can end up with many many sdesc prefixes that would put it over 55 characters.

A certain object worn by certain people in a certain city-state is a good example to this, and mansa knows what I'm talking about, more likely than not.
Quote from: Vesperas
...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

mansa

Sdesc lengths
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2005, 12:49:30 PM »
Then how about this:

An informal limit of 55 characters max to describe the short description of items worn by characters.  There are exceptions to every rule, and I agree that sometimes you just need to make things longer to make them more clear, but I think that having no limit will become silly in excess and almost jarring in it's obesity.

When I make items, (and they are few and far between), I will aim for the limit of 55 characters, and if I go over, I go over.  But I won't ever make an object longer worn than 80 characters in length, no matter what, because I think an object worn that is 80 characters in length to be agaisnt the 'flow' of the game.

This is my own rules I make up for myself.  Perhaps you'll do the same.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Delirium

• Helper
Sdesc lengths
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2005, 03:15:00 PM »
I completely agree with Mansa, actually.  Not everyone's terminal is set for a max of over 80 characters, and even if it was - some standard is nice for uniformity.  There is plenty of room to get elaborate in the mdesc.

There's a certain tattoo that is a whalloping 72 characters long. That, to me, is a bit excessive.
"There are no happy endings, because nothing ends." - Schmendrick