How do you tell an item's condition now??

Started by Confusolato, January 19, 2003, 10:41:07 PM

I agree that having new attatched to every peice of armor could be a little jarring.  Especially 'rinth armor that is designed to look crappy, but still has "new" in the description.   :P  On the other hand, I can also see where people want be able to tell if something is protective or not; there are some items of reinforced sandcloth that are armor, and some that aren't, and you can't really tell by looking at them.  A fighter will want real armor, but a trader, hunter or crafter may want something light that still has a chance of turning aside random animal attacks.

I think the best of both worlds could be had by moving the condition flag to the long description.  Only 2 stain flags show up in the sdesc, but if you look at the item you can see that it is dusty, bloody, sweaty, muddy, stinky and stained.  Why not have the armor condition flag show up here too?  Instead of "new" an item that used to have the new flag could have a line that says "It is in good condition."  And everybody is happy.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

But why can't CLOTHING also have the "Good" condition. Like it's been said, I think if it's such a close thing... You probably SHOULDN'T know. It's not going to make a grand amount more difference.

Thats why I like systems that don't differenciate between armour and clothing, EVERYTHING has some sort of protective value, clothing just really low, armour higher.

Because, if you can't tell by a decent solid description, I'd say it's too close to tell. When it comes to lighter armours, normally you'll see 'reinforced' and such, and more often then not, I see little or NO reason why you should be able to differenciate. Does it really matter, if you know for absolute surity, that that piece of clothing is going to be protective? I'm thinking if it's that close, your probably not going to see any extra protective benefits, and I see the sure ways like the armour flag as changing what your character would pick for alittle bit of OOC security.

And if people are having so much trouble with it, there is asking other people ICally, even if the person your asking takes the peice to show to a couple crafters and asks their clan imm about it rather it's made for protection or not.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

I keep seeing people say that its not going to make that big a difference if an item is armor or clothing.  I'd like to disagree here.  Even minimal armor in the right locations, on the right character (not necessarily a combat character), has in my experience, meant the difference between dying in one or two landed hits, and five or six.  And by minimal, yes I mean stuff that could be regarded as clothing or armor.  Maybe it is all my warped perception.

My second point is that all people are talking about is loosing hitpoints.  There are other things I would worry about loosing out there, sometimes more than hitpoints.  At least one of them is also influenced by armor.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

Rindan, if you think there is nowhere in the help files that stated that clothes and armour could be told apart by the condition flag, you need to check again. I don't think you bothered to check before posting.

I'm getting tired of seeing repetitions in this thread, so I'll let what has been written by me and others so far stand as reply.

I'll just mention this to people in general, and it's been said before: if you want crappy armour, get some crappy armour--particularly in the Rinth. If it's not offerred, it ought to be. It ought to be dirty, smelly, and in bad condition, given the socio-economic conditions in the Rinth. And to those people who absolutely can't live with [new] because it's ugly and distracting--oh my god!! Don't look at your prompt and don't type "score" or you might actually see numbers! Your experience will be ruined foreever!