Hmm...

Started by Vesperas, November 25, 2005, 08:42:16 PM

I don't know where this really belongs, as its more of a "Should I try to suggest this?" kind of post than anything.  

How conceivable would it be for someone to find/invent an angelic harmonica in Zalanthas?  Obviously, due to the EXTREME amount of work that would have to go into making them, and the expert skill it would take to play them, they would be something that only the fanciest and richest of nobles would bother with.

Certainly not anything a character could simply craft or find in a store, or anything the Bard's Circle would let some newbish musician come within a hundred feet of, but just an idea.  I don't mind if this gets shot down any. XD

So, thoughts?

Why would it be difficult to make? It's just crystal glasses filled with different quantities of water. You'd have to have a good ear to tune them right, and I'm guessing it would be ridiculously expensive (since it's holding water, in a desert world). Plus you'd have to continually be adding more water to the glasses since water evaporates pretty quickly in a arrid climate such as Zalanthas.

But I don't see why someone couldn't come up with the idea.

Whoa!  I think that would be such a cool nobel thing or maybe really high-crest bards would be given the opportunity to learn how to use it.  I can just see some snooty nobels using it, specially northies.

Seeing that the Sanctuary seems to have an unlimited amount of glass wineglasses :roll:  , why not talk to the bartender about using some of them?  Pay him for them, and then get yourself enough water to fill them.  Or if you REALLY want to get fancy, use wine.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

Can you use glass?  I think it has to be crystal to eminate the noise yes?

Edit- I am guessing this because I always try to make noises with my glasses like that and it never works :lol:

I've done it with regular glass wineglasses.  I've done it with tumblers too, actually.  If you get it just right, you can do it with glasses that have thicker rims too.  You'll get a much deeper sound.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

It would be an easy enough thing to make up, sure, but it is an instrument that I don't think would be very "armageddon"-ish.
So I don't like it.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

I think it would be good for Armageddon's high-class society, most suited for the North.  What could be more beautiful to the ear of a true music-lover than the sound of singing water and glass, in a world where both materials are considered so rare and valuable?

As for Armageddon-ish, there are plenty of regularly "un-Armageddon" like items in the game, if you look around.  They are made to fit into the theme, however, by the way they are presented and the way the culture they appear in reacts to them.  (The best examples are some particular European-style foods that no desert culture would rightfully come up with.)

Quote from: "Maybe42or54"It would be an easy enough thing to make up, sure, but it is an instrument that I don't think would be very "armageddon"-ish.
So I don't like it.

I think it would be popular in the north, cause the bards will often describe it as "listening to water". Which the artsy types in the north will all have to experiance.
quote="Tisiphone"]Just don't expect him to NOT be upset with you for trying to steal his kidney with a sharp, pointy stick.[/quote]
The weak may inherit the earth, but they won't last two hours on Zalanathas

Great idea!  Took some time to researched it.  Looks like you could make a harmonica with a few plates of ivory, a reed, and some pitch for glue.  I see no reason why a harmonica couldn't be implemented, and I think it would be  an exciting instrument for the upper-class.
, / ^ \ ,                   
|| --- || L D I E L

This strikes me as a very northern, very noble type of instrument. Anybody can hire a bard to strum a guitar, but how many nobles have the resources to not only maintain this instrument, but also spend the money to train a bard in its proper use? What a waste! What a statement! Very cool.
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

Quote from: "aldiel"Great idea!  Took some time to researched it.  Looks like you could make a harmonica with a few plates of ivory, a reed, and some pitch for glue.  I see no reason why a harmonica couldn't be implemented, and I think it would be  an exciting instrument for the upper-class.

I believe Vesperas is talking about this. Either that or a series of crystal goblets filled with different amounts of water.  When the rims of the goblets are rubbed, it produces different pitches of otherworldly, ethereal noise.

However, a regular old reed harmonic would be pretty sweet too.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

::nods::  :)

Yea, I'm talking about the larger instrument.  (Not goblets on a spinning plate)

But yeah, a regular harmonica would be cool, too. :D  I didn't even realize we don't already have them.