Author Topic: Arena Emotes  (Read 3117 times)

proxie

• Moose and Squirrel
Arena Emotes
« on: November 19, 2005, 05:21:40 PM »
So I was thinking, would it be worthwhile to have some emotes in the arena running randomly from time to time, to reflect activity within it?

In order to make the arena a place of congregation, instead of just a place everyone runs to when a templar rings the bell?

Such as:

Random emoted matches between criminals that are just running throughout the day.

Training between virtual militia soldiers.

Zalanthan football involving two teams of soldiers chasing down a criminal.

Even arena cleaners scraping up pieces of offal and carnage with rakes.

My reasoning is... the arena is highly underused, but I could easily see it as being a place to congregate to watch random acts of justice by the Highlord. People take their kids and spend the day watching the games.

With a switch so the templars could turn off the echos for one of their events.

Discuss?
Proxie
For those who knew him, my husband Jay, known as Becklee from time to time on Arm, died August 17th, 2008, from complications of muscular dystrophy.

Rhyden

Arena Emotes
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2005, 05:32:21 PM »
Just a step further, maybe there could be random gladiator NPCs who spawned in the arena much like wildlife and combatted each other in usual equal-matched combat (although the random braxat vs. two elves would be worthwile as well). Of course, like proxie suggested, Templars would be able to switch the NPC gladiators spawn off if they wish for only PCs to be in the arena. This would most likely make the arena more popular for PCs to hang around on a regular basis.

-Rhyden
Quote from: Malifaxis
One thing I'd like to see in arm is more people focusing on how to make the game intriguing, by filling
it with murder, betrayal, and corruption, instead of arguing about how combat isn't powerful enough.

RogueWarrior

Arena Emotes
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2005, 07:25:58 PM »
I have to say, this is a wonderful idea, I think anyway. I've been playing for... well, probably a year or more, and I can't say as I've ever been to the arena, due to the fact that... well... there is just never anything worthwhile happening.

bloodfromstone

Arena Emotes
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2005, 07:33:08 PM »
Good idea, proxie. I actually really like the sound of this a lot. As Rhyden said, it would be especially fun if there were some basic scripts that sets of NPCs ran, rather than just echoes, so the outcomes and actions wouldn't be the same every time.
eeling YB, you think:
     "I can't believe I just said that."

jcarter

Arena Emotes
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2005, 08:07:53 PM »
I like this idea. I think it would be great if the bell would ring about five or so minutes before they spawned so folks would know it was going on.

Marauder Moe

Arena Emotes
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2005, 08:28:07 PM »
Brilliant idea!

I think it'd be great if people could just casually stroll over to the arena and chat while watching gladiator training or a petty execution and such.

I don't think the bell should ring before an automatic match, though.  You'd force people to get up and go to the arena on the off chance it's your best friend being put to death or whatnot.

Sanvean

• My Website
Arena Emotes
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2005, 08:33:11 PM »
I'd like to see this as actual scripted events rather than random echoes.  Would people be willing to write up actual scenes in enough quantity that they don't start feeling tedious?

Dan

Arena Emotes
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2005, 08:42:45 PM »
I think the Arena is an untapped resource as it stands, personally.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Northlander

Arena Emotes
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2005, 03:36:14 AM »
Quote from: "Sanvean"
I'd like to see this as actual scripted events rather than random echoes.  Would people be willing to write up actual scenes in enough quantity that they don't start feeling tedious?

What would this submission look like? NPC:s and emotes, with the speaker thrown in?

Spiegel

Blah
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2005, 02:57:07 AM »
I think that a random sort of arena-based conflict could also lead to an excellent opportunity for a wide range of RP.

The thing that sticks out most clearly in my mind is a buncha 'rinthers watching, or maybe even something set up mechanically for gambling. So that people would be able to bet on the outcome.  

With that said, it could easily be done now in a sort of 'Which one do you think it gonna do him in? How long do you bet he'll last?" sort of fashion, but it would definitely create a more solid foundation. Where a more shady PC might even be able to survive off being an arena gambler.

Even if this couldn't be done, atleast seeing it amongst the audience would place a little realism in it. I mean, watching people kill eachother is fun and all, but making 'sid and watching people kill eachother is even better!

Just an idea.. That, along with more audience-based echos within the random fights. Just so you don't feel like you're the only bastard watching them. It'd be nice to see the audience reactions at certain points within the fight, itself.

proxie

• Moose and Squirrel
Arena Emotes
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2005, 01:34:45 PM »
I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is and write some scenes since I suggested it. Hopefully a lot more people will too.

Email these to mud? Post them here?

Proxie
For those who knew him, my husband Jay, known as Becklee from time to time on Arm, died August 17th, 2008, from complications of muscular dystrophy.

Twilight

Arena Emotes
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2005, 04:24:11 PM »
Are we talking ideas for scripts, or ideas for a string of emotes?

Personally, I think it would be cool to put in place a master script that could be turned on/off by templars and would call other scripts randomly at various set times.

So, underneath the master script you could have it pick between various scripts at noon to a) show a scripted emote arena match b) load up two (or more!) NPCs and let them fight it out in the Arena and clear them c) show the Gaj getting fed some rinthers d) emotes to show gladiators practicing e) etc.  And then at dusk it could call on other emote strings to show the various body parts getting picked up by slaves or something.

So I guess my question is, are we talking about a completely emoted fight, or things like scripts to load up a couple (or more) NPCs and have them fight it out, or other things people could think up?
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

Sanvean

• My Website
Arena Emotes
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2005, 04:34:26 PM »
Dirr has sent in two terrific scripts; I'd welcome more.  His are completely emoted fights that would play out to the spectators as they watch.  That's what I'd like to see.  I like your idea of linking it to time, so if someone wants to write up the gladitorial traning exercises that might be taking place in the mornings, or the emotes for the evening cleanup, I'd be glad to incorporate them.

What I was thinking was this:

Have them run every other day (or specific days of the week) in order to allow templars and staff to still schedule their own arena matches or else have a way for a templar to turn them off temporarily.

Someone sitting in the arena could watch as the various canned performances scroll by.  They could be at random or in a strict schedule, I don't know - a lot of that's still up in the air.  I like the idea of being able to bet as well, but if the fights are scripted out, after a while people would know the outcome.  If you wanted to get -tricky-, you could try a fight with several possible endings and let the code pick one at random.

Send them to me at sanvean@armageddon.org and cc mud.

buzz

Arena Emotes
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2005, 04:50:21 PM »
Would it be possible to just load up 2 (or 3, or 4, depending on the type of match) NPCs, and then just have them duke it out, and let the randomness of the Armageddon Combat System determine the winner?  You could still use "scripted" emotes, each NPC would have a selection of emotes that reflects their particular style, they could be vague enough that even if one of them is getting his ass beaten down, the emotes of his style of fighting would still make some sense.  That way, you'd submit a set of NPCs, and a series of stylistic emotes for each one.  And at a certain day/time, that set would load up and do their thing.  It would allow for betting, as it's not completely scripted, and the combat system would take care of determining the winner.

So you'd submit an NPC, plus a couple skills he should have beefed up, maybe a combat skill (kick, bash, disarm, whatever) that he prefers to use more than the others, and a combat style (two handed bludgeoning, for example) that he'd have beefed up.

If that's possible, I can send in something along those lines.
We all become what we pretend to be.  -Rothfuss

Ender

Arena Emotes
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2005, 05:02:42 PM »
I would really like to see a regular schedule for arena games.  Perhaps games set on Detal and Ocandra at midday or dusk.

Perhaps even an NPC bookie could be set up for gambling on the matches if the scripts have a couple different semi-random outcomes.

What this would do is make people really care about the scripts if there was an easy way they could put hard coded money on the matches.
man
/mæn/

-noun

1.   A biped, ungrateful.

Sanvean

• My Website
Arena Emotes
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2005, 05:09:17 PM »
So you'd submit an NPC, plus a couple skills he should have beefed up, maybe a combat skill (kick, bash, disarm, whatever) that he prefers to use more than the others, and a combat style (two handed bludgeoning, for example) that he'd have beefed up.

Please remember there's female gladiators as well as male.

I'd rather not do it by loading NPCs.  Once this month from hell is over and I'm not trying to put out 3k+ words a day, lemme think about the best way to do it.  If you want to create scripts before then, I'm sure they will get used in one way or another.

Agent_137

• a crapy clawn
Arena Emotes
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2005, 01:28:51 AM »
I think it's vital for the outcomes to be random so we can BET ON THEM.

Which is vital. I think.

I think the "Choose your own adventure" type of emoted combat would be awesome. I might write something up in class tomorrow. Har.

Is it possible to randomly replace a variable in a string of script?

For instance:

>
X walks out and pumps his arms.
>
Z walks out and does a hip thrust.
>

(where X is joe, frank, bob, or zelda.

and where Z is jeffery, tina, or mack.)

And then after being being chosen randomly the first time, the sdesc would stay the same for the rest of the run of the script:

>
Bob drops his shoulder and charges at Tina.
>
Tina whirls, attempting to step aside and P
>

(where P is fails utterly or succeeds wildly.)

---

So, is that even possible, codedly?