stats/race question

Started by serpant, January 18, 2003, 11:14:18 PM

ok i think its a bit dumb. say you are an elf with average agility then youre a dwarf with exeptional i might be wrong but oh well

It's a dice roll, sorta.

Your second character has no relation to your first. Not even remotely. There's no reason for anyone to expect their second character to have better stats than their first, no matter what race they pick. It is just as acceptable for an elf to have lousy agility as it is for a mage to have lousy wisdom.

The best you can do is to work with what you have, and hope for the best. You might actually find yourself enjoying your character, lousy stats and all :)

Quote from: "Bestatte"It's a dice roll, sorta.

Your second character has no relation to your first. Not even remotely. There's no reason for anyone to expect their second character to have better stats than their first, no matter what race they pick. It is just as acceptable for an elf to have lousy agility as it is for a mage to have lousy wisdom.

The best you can do is to work with what you have, and hope for the best. You might actually find yourself enjoying your character, lousy stats and all :)
yeah what i mean is why not just pick any race? because they are all random stats anyway.

They are all random rolls, yes. However, race does affect your stats. I'm not sure exactly how it works, but I would guess it's like this: Your race determines what range of stats you can get. So even if you were a dwarf and had 'exceptional agility' that might mean 'exceptional for a dwarf' and not be anything like what 'exceptional agility' would mean to an elf.

IMO stats are not nearly as important on Armageddon as they are on just about any other MUD, but I'm sure some will disagree.
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

Stats are in a range determined by race.  So, if an elf's agility can range from 100 to 125, then a dwarfs agility ranges from 50 to 75.  A dwarf with exceptional agility might have 70 agility.  An elf with very poor agility will have 100 agility.  So, when you see 'good' or 'poor', it means 'good' or 'poor' for that race.  An elf with poor agility will still be much more agil the a dwarf with exceptional agility.

I'll add to crymerci's post that you shouldn't be considering this or that race because of the stats you might get. You should be considering it because of the chance to roleplay something different. Yes, stats -do- play a part in the mechanics of the game, and -do- affect your coded skills. But there's no rule in Armageddon that says you have to even USE any of your skills. There are some players who have characters with mondo kewl skills and stats and don't even use them. I know, because my first character was one of them <g>

Stats should be the last thing you consider when picking a race to play. How you wish to roleplay in Armageddon should be the first.
Everything else should fall somewhere inbetween.

Something else to point out is that unlike in other games, the stats of the race have a very minor effect on how you play compared to the RP of the race.  A mul will make a better warrior then anything else under the sun.  However, a mul would never be allowed freely into Allanak to join up with any Noble House he wants to join.  The same goes for elves and dwarves.  The RP of a race will drastically restrict who you can work for and who you can be friends with.  The RP of the race will restrict you regardless if you want it to or not.  Even if you flat out choose to ignore how a race is played, others won't and will discriminate against you regardless.  I highly suggest sticking with humans until you get a feel for the ropes.

Yes -- stats are rolled within a given range specific to a given race.  When you see "poor" or "good" or "exceptional" as a descriptive term, those terms apply only to THAT RACE.  Thus "very poor" strength for a half giant is still much, MUCH stronger than a "very good" strength for an elf.

-Savak
i]May the fleas of a thousand kanks nestle in your armpit.  -DustMight[/i]

If stats are so unimportant, and affect so little, why even show them to the player? Why not take that info away from them so they can focus on RP?

It's still important, to know what your character is. Already to often if you go to make a big burly guy and end up with an infants strength, it'd be even worse if you DIDN"T KNOW THAT. It still matters enough, you can RP out on either sides of coded issues but you can't exactly RP the complete opposite of the code very well.

I tend to not make my characters personality and really WHO he is untill I start playing him. I take into his accounts. Everyone would know there weaknesses and their strengths. If your a strong slow fuck, why would you want to play it off that your a nimble circus freak? It wouldn't work very well.

Stats don't matter that much code wise that I've seen, they do matter to a certain degree in my mind when it comes to RP, more often then not I don't get the arrangement of stats that I want, and it throws in a twist on things that makes it interesting, so it's not exactly how it was planed. Got to have some spice, if everything went how we wanted we'd get bored REALLY quick.

And taking away stats... Well you'd end up seeing people RPing the opposite of what their character is coded, could be a hardy strong stupid fellow that's RPed as a scholar that isn't strong enough to left a handful of sand. Or even worse, the opposite... RP as a big strong guy, but you aren't coded. It'd be quite obvious when you can hardly lift up your weapon, or drag that guys corpse away and so on and so forth. And it just doesn't fit together.

Stats don't make a character GOOD or BAD, thats more of a RP thing and time spent invested, but stats can break things up abit when you don't follow them at least as a basic standard.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

Stats are a random, ugly thing that Im supirsed hasnt been faded out by now. It and the other stat numbers (hp/mana/etc) seem to be one of the only lasting numerical intricacies that people always stress over.

Without these gameplay would be so much simpler, because you wouldnt know. But since we do have them, of course we have to deal with it.

There will always be fast dwarves, even if the norm is sluggish and bulky. There will always be not-so-fast half-elves and elves, even though the norm is agile and lithe.

There are stat stereotypes, a few of which are hard-coded. I think Muls will almost always have a strength bonus, while alternately a wisdom detriment. And this goes on to half-giants, etc.

The topic of giving players a choice in their stats has come up, but the pbase as a whole is too underevolved to not max out their stats. If given the choice in these areas, everyone (well at least almost) would max them. If people were mature enough, Id think some would base them correctly. Picking lower wisdom if they were devising a stupid character, or lower endurance for a frail person, etc. But until then we deal with the dice roll, and move on.
thats all
:shock:

Yeah, but an exceptionally agile dwarf is still nowhere near as fast as an average to below average elf.

Quote from: "Eternal"Yeah, but an exceptionally agile dwarf is still nowhere near as fast as an average to below average elf.
hey what if a half-elf had poor agility compared to a dwarf?
et the sword be youre guide let you guide the sword.

A half-elf with poor agility (in score) would still be at least a very good to exceptional agilty compared to a dwarf.  Your stats are not compared between races, so theoretically, your elf with absolutely incredible strength may translate to a 20 numerically, a human with the same has a 30, and a half-giant has 60.  (These numbers are completely pulled out of the rear of the last elf to insult Lord Templar Hard Nose.)