Author Topic: Statues (and a lack thereof)  (Read 4321 times)

Salt Merchant

Statues (and a lack thereof)
« on: November 08, 2005, 05:37:31 PM »
First, let me state that I haven't seen the new Tuluk yet. For all I know, Tuluk is stuffed with statues.

Otherwise, there is a surprising lack of these. It's easy to make a case they should adorn Allanak's streets. Statues of Hathor, Carlone and Ihsahn glowering down at the peasants trudging past. A heroic statue of the Fale templar of the blue that took command of 'nak's armies and led them to victory after her superiors fell. And of course, statues for every great (or vain) noble that could get them commissioned.

The urge to immortalize oneself is universal, and with the plethora of stonecarvers around, it's a mystery why master carvers can't be found tapping away at large chunks of stone with chisel and hammer.

Some Imm involvement would be required, true. An object would need to be created for the final product (automated intermediate states could exist, such as block of rock, partly chiseled block of rock, vaguely human-shaped rock, etc.) and it would need to be installed in a room.

The workload could be minimized by having the stonecarver submit the descriptive information, and by making the process lengthy and expensive enough so that they aren't a sid a dozen.

A quarry of some sort could be set up, with man-sized (or larger) blocks of rock being extracted and handled by teams of half-giants and mekillots, thereby explaining their presence in the market of Allanak (sounds like a Kadian sort of thing).

Where are Allanak's statues?
Lunch makes me happy.

Bogre

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2005, 05:39:36 PM »
Uhm, maybe something to look for in game?
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Larrath

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2005, 05:44:58 PM »
Allanak has a bunch of statues.  Ever walk down Templar's Way?

Not every Borsail nobody can just go and get a twenty-cord tall statue of himself put up in the middle of the street.  And most of those that could do that without any trouble (namely, black robed templars) probably don't care about that anyway.

I really don't see why Allanak needs more statues.  I wouldn't mind a few extra, but it's not like Allanak is without.
Quote from: Vesperas
...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Agent_137

• a crapy clawn
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2005, 05:45:08 PM »
uhm, maybe it's still a good point?

there are a few in 'nak that I can think of. It makes sense there might be more.

i doubt IMMs are going to go around dropping in statues left and right, but I'm sure you could work something out as a player.

Say, as a stonecarver, make a small gift to a templar and encourage him to choose you if he ever wants a statue built.

As a noble/templar/whatever, have one commissioned.

Savak

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2005, 07:10:08 PM »
There are some "vague" ones (most of them unnamed, to my recollection), but I can see an argument to putting a name on a few.  I don't think anyone is averse to other PC's trying to have new ones built, either.  Some could probably have a name put on them as "common knowledge," and you could decide if your character had been around the location long enough to learn it.
i]May the fleas of a thousand kanks nestle in your armpit.  -DustMight[/i]

moab

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2005, 10:02:02 AM »
There is also the option of playing a stone carver and making a bunch of statues for paying customers and to beautify the city, right?

Edit:
Beautify:  In Allanaki art sense this would tend to be dark and forboding (example: demon face on well known road)
quote="Hymwen"]
Code: [Select]
A pair of free chalton leather boots is here, carrying the newbie.[/quote]

Socko

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2005, 11:50:05 AM »
It's a concept I've thought about-- it'd be radical to make statues for the good of the city-state, and erect them in the busiest plazas. As a sculptor, you'd make your mint on comissions from the wealthy.

I, for one, have always dreamed of erecting some kind of statue that everyone hated and defaced when the city guard had their backs turned.

I've seriously wanted to play someone on both the creating and paying ends; but there might be more to take into consideration beyond the reasons that the people wanting to put up a statue want to do it-- even if they have the materials.

There might be regulatory and zoning laws on the Bazaar, for example, or on Meleth's Circle.

Either it's really very easy, or really difficult. And either way, you need to take the Imms into consideration-- I once played an artist character and had all kinds of crazy ideas where I'd send in item requests for paintings; I kind of felt bad because you don't want to flood the system, so to speak.
"The most important thing is to find out what is the most important thing." -- Shunryu Suzuki

Cuusardo

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2005, 12:34:35 PM »
If you play a bard in Tuluk, your bard can be a sculptor.  Talk to people (and your patron) about commissioning statues. :idea:
Quote from: Anael
You know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

Mr.Camel

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2005, 06:13:09 PM »
In Allanaki art sense this would tend to be dark and forboding (example: demon face on well known road)

While this may be true for some, I expect it to take the other way around for most people. Since Allanaki life is so hard, dangerous, I'd expect artistic beauty to be, for most, the opposite of their miserable existance.
Clear skies, peace and so on are what I would expect to see in art, if there is no interference from the powers that be.

moab

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2005, 09:11:30 PM »
I believe that I read somewhere in the docs that darker art was the preference in Allanak.

hold on...
damned if i can find a doc to back me up - but i'm pretty sure i read this somewhere.

excuse the punctuation (or lack thereof) there's a gi....
quote="Hymwen"]
Code: [Select]
A pair of free chalton leather boots is here, carrying the newbie.[/quote]

Sanvean

• My Website
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2005, 03:19:44 PM »
If people want to write up some statues for Allanak, I'll put some in.  Please include the location for the statue, which can be general (like "somewhere in the Nobles' Quarter") or specific.

Sanvean

• My Website
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2005, 08:35:55 PM »
Haven't gotten any of these.

Maybe42or54

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2005, 08:51:19 PM »
Quick questions. What kind of statues are you talking about? Naked people playing sports and holding a big ball?
Famous Templars?
Infamous Templars?
Nobles?

I'm lost.
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Sanvean

• My Website
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2005, 09:32:23 PM »
Post an idea and I'll say yea or nay, how about?  Any of those ideas, with the possible exception of the first, sound fine to me.

Salt Merchant

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2005, 10:53:12 PM »
I'd be willing to write up the statues, but I lack descriptions for these historical figures. If I could be supplied the sdesc and description of, for example, Lady Elaira Fale of the Blue and Lord Ihsahn (Kasix) of the Red, it would be straightforward to create and return their descriptions in statue form.
Lunch makes me happy.

Dyrinis

• Legend
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2005, 01:23:04 PM »
There are statues of the most famous templars in Allanaki history on Templar's way and in other places around the city.  If your character could read maybe you could understand the inscriptions on them.  Other statues would be cool, but I think there are enough templar statues, at least until another PC templar becomes as legendary as Aquila or Faust.  

I would like more artistic statues like the demon face on Tradesmen's road.  They don't necessarily have to be as dark.  There are also spaces for other objects like plants, arches, etc.

Dyrinis

RunningMountain

• Posting Privileges Revoked
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2005, 02:56:34 PM »
What about more statues dedicated to the RULER of the city? Heh. More tektolnes statues and dragon statues.
A man's reputation is what other people think of him; his character is what he really is.

path

• they fight crime
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2005, 06:57:01 PM »
I'd like to see statues for favorite, obscure pets, mistresses and gladiators. Even concubines. That sort of absurd, over-the-top kind of thing is what I really love from the nobility. It's so out of touch, especially in Allanak, with the poverty of the people. Such a "Let them eat cake!" sort of gesture.

Plus, if the current and future nobility comissioned the pieces with a bit of sense, they could be some great clues or insight into the houses. Not to give away anything secret, mind, just another venue with which to flesh out the personality and history of a house.

Maybe42or54

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2005, 12:20:56 PM »
Sanvean, did you get my ideas for statues? Are those types of statues ok?
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime