Author Topic: Armageddon MUD, now available in TECHNO(TM)color!  (Read 2581 times)

Glowworm

Armageddon MUD, now available in TECHNO(TM)color!
« on: January 17, 2003, 08:45:57 PM »
I'm sure it's been discussed before, or at least considered, but since I've never participated in the discussion...

Why doesn't the game support color?

I think if it was done as tastefully and carefully as the room descriptions are, it could add another beneficial element to the game.

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2003, 09:00:21 PM »
I always thought of it because the world.. just isn't very colorful, everything is either brown, yellow, red, grey or black (Typically speaking)

Also, it doesn't really seem to fit in, it would... colors are usually an easy way to identify things, usually important things, and we don't want people just walking around looking for important things.

I'm not really sure the official reason why though. If you want to do it, you can play around with zMUD triggers and whatnot, most common example is to set "morbid" to red, so you don't miss corpses.

crymerci

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2003, 09:00:26 PM »
I just use a MUD client that I can create highlight strings with. That way, I can give color to what I think is important. For example, I have the words 'soldier' and 'templar' in a reddish color, I have plants and herbs in green, etc. And I have learned that less is more where color is concerned, or you run the risk of not noticing something important just because it's not colored.
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

Savak

Personal color
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2003, 11:16:56 AM »
Personally, I've never been interested in standardizing colors for the game because.. well, it never seemed remotely important to me.  I like to think that everyone reads everything, every single room.  Ironically, sometimes things CHANGE.  In my younger days I had a number of players miss subtle changes I had made because, well, most players don't thoroughly read room descriptions every single time they go through a commonly passed room.  I -understand- why that is, but it was a learning point as a young staff member trying to be careful, thorough, & subtle.

I think that, by and large, colors are best individualized by way of your own set of triggers, if anything.  That allows you to set things the way you want, instead of the way someone else wants.  There's always people who prefer no color whatsoever, and there are enough free clients out there for everyone to freely/cheaply set their own without much fuss.  So.

-Savak
i]May the fleas of a thousand kanks nestle in your armpit.  -DustMight[/i]

Nineveh

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2003, 11:20:06 AM »
Every time I play a mud with garish colors, I feel like I've gone to a circus.

It takes a little getting used to if you're from a different mud that uses colors, but Arm's monochrome feel is one of the things I -like- about it. It makes Arm feel more like a living book than a game. It also really makes you have to sit down and read room descriptions, something I like to do anyways.
se K.Y. jelly to grease up your chihauha and set him loose in the sewers to establish a beachhead for your underground empire.

UnderSeven

Couldn't Agree with Savek more
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2003, 01:03:38 PM »
I presonally like color too.  When I look outside and see roses I think, pretty.. though it's winter now and that sucks.. But anyway..
Color doesn't belong on arm for two reasons,
One, it's someone else's oppinion then what gets colored and what doesn't.  I've played games with color that made me want to turn them off in a matter of seconds.  It's just that color is as artistic as any other aspect of the mud and there is no point in imping it just so people can go, oh, thats nice... but I don't like it.  If you want color, grab a client and put it in yourself.
Two, color can actually give away ic info.  It's crazy but true.  I've seen a mud that had color that made certain actions a different color than others.  What is so bad about that? Well it was an rpi mud and it meant you couldn't EMOTE doing certain actions becauase the color would be off.  Now I imagine arm being such a high standard mud would try to avoid having color do that if they imped it (which they hopefully won't).  But even so, it's nearly impossible to tell how someone might look at game mechanics and figure something out they shouldn't have.  My two sense, arm highlighting getting hit and nothing else is the best way to do it.

Rindan

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2003, 03:27:52 PM »
I am not a big fan of colors myself.  A lot of MUDs just seem to use them to the point of annoyance.  I do like using triggers for highlighting important things.  For instance, any time someone talks at the same table as me, it gets highlighted red.  It makes it easy to follow a conversation in a full tavern.  Words like Templar are shown in different colors.  I have the game beep for me whenever I enter a gate to a major city so that I remember to sheathe my weapons.  There is a lot you can do with a mud client.  I would prefer that it be kept minimal colors and let people do their own.