Fighting

Started by rnix, January 16, 2003, 08:01:56 PM

Strength and its ties with Weapons...... And wisdom of course wisdom helps your learn quicker, but when you've been training at anything does you strength and wisdom play a role in for short time,

ex Your figthing and you have poort strength----- Does this make your character miss often.... I realize I can't give the exact example because its my current player but i've had players in the past who were awesome starting fighters just because they had good strength or thats how I presummed it..... Any insights?

From what I can tell, and my own limited fighting experience...

Your ability to hit something is determined -very- largely by your skill and offense (which is hidden).  Your beginning precision seems to be affected by starting agility, but skill is far more important.

Your ability to hit something HARD is determined by the same factors, although the base/beginning is related to your strength instead of agility through some arcane formulae.

Your ability to learn -is- more or less directly proportional to your wisdom, half-giants take forever to branch, which is perfectly ic, since they can barely grasp fundamentals.

Your ability to walk long distances, recover quickly, etc is more or less directly proportional to your endurance... though doing things that tax your endurance seem to help increase your staying power... this is pure observation, however.

Strength helps you hit through armor tho. I know I have had a char with not so good strength and although he could tag things easily with high agility s lot of times the strength made it bounce off of the armor.

[This is taken from my brief experience with coding in Diku]
Agility effects your 'To hit' and I believe 'To dodge'. Now thats if its the same as general Diku, then from personal experience, Agility seems to effect your rate of attack. Some people are slow, and others fast.

Applying this to game mechanics, if your hitting more (even missing) quickly you have a wider amount of chances to improve. Here is a brief example, using darts- Me and a friend start playing darts. He gets two darts, and I get 5. He misses both of his throws. I miss 4 of them, but hit on the 5th, and improve in darts. (there isnt a dart skill, so dont try :D) My extra chances to hit gave me the improvement.

So summing that up, the more you attempt something the more chances to improve. So good agility is good for an aspiring fighter. Where as wisdom might also play a factor.

[From the Diku code]
Wisdom effects your chance to improve, and by how much. So obviously someone with Absolutely Incredible wisdom will improve more often and by a wider margin.

Now one of the widespread rumors of Armageddon is that you can only improve in something every so often. Like if Im fighting, and my skill in swords goes up (which you arnt aware of anyways) further fighting right after will have no effect on the skill. Now this ties into wisdom, because the 2nd half of the rumor is that the higher wisdom the shorter amount of time you have to wait before your skills can improve again.

Now, strength as far as I know has nothing to do with learning, quickness of attacks or anything. But it does effect the amount of damage you do. So obviously if your trying to learn you dont want to kill your opponent to quickly, so in that essence I guess it could tie in.

So to sum up, a person with Exceptional Agility and Poor Wisdom might in the end, even out with a person with Poor Agility and Exceptional Wisdom, because the first person will be hitting alot, but not nessecarily learning as quickly, where as the 2nd person will be hitting less, but learning more when he does.

[but personally the 1st person would wallop the 2nd if they were even in all other aspects of a fight.]
Thats all
:shock:

This is all good stuff to find out ICly...  A skilled warrior should be able to give you a good run-down on the various things that affect combat, if they've been in combat a lot.  I think I have an excellent notion of the workings of the arm combat system, and I had written up a dissertation on it before I decided it was way too IC...  :)