Elves, and weight

Started by Delerak, January 16, 2003, 11:44:21 AM

oh yea Wilt def wasnt 275 in his final years. go do some research to how much the man weighed just before he passed
 A G L E S EAGLES!!

I think this argument doesn't solve the problem with the weight system, some players idea of thin and waifish. Again and again I find the slender spindly 3 foot waif actually weighing 9 ten stones and being 6'3" tall. *BASH*. If players can't match their description to the right weight because of stats, then giving them more range doesn't seem to be any solution.

Quote from: "Delerak"Doesnt matter if they are skinny.  If you are seven feet tall, it is impossible to weigh less then 200 lbs.

According to RealmsOfEvil.Net: Dark Sun, while being an unofficial Dark Sun site, it is still considered one of the Best Dark Sun Sites by Burnt World of Athas (The Official Dark Sun Site):

Quote from: "The Elves of Athas"Physical Description: Elves are tall and slim, standing about 6 ½ to 7 ½ feet tall and typically weighs between 145 and 185 pounds with elven men being the same height and only slightly heavier than elven women. They are graceful but frail.

Much of the other documentation fits with Zalanthan Elves as well. I figured a Dark Sun reference would be better than a Tolkien reference, especially seeing as our world, including the races, is based on Dark Sun.

~Drunken Salarr & Sykotik Gith
When we found her Marnlee mornin',
Hoofprints walking up her back
There were empties by her war braids
And sixty-five dead carru in a stack.

~ Unknown - Heru Got Runover by a Carru

If elves weighed that much, They wouldn't be as limber and able to move as quick as they do. You would have some badass really strong elves instead of the elves that are usually really skinny and can run really far distanced and get places the way they are use to-- Heh since they don't use kanks right?

Has anyone thought of the possibility that elves are lighter for the simple fact that they don't hold near as much water as humans or other races?

Remember: IRL the human body is made of around 70% of water. Also, this game is set in a desert world. Therefore, would it not be logical to assume that elves have adapted to this harsh environment by not having to hold as much water in their bodies as other races. This would not only explain their weighing less, but also the fact that they can run longer distances.

They're all just Zalanthan camels!!!! :P

Heh, well, just regarding physics, Zalanthas isn't Earth, so you therefore can't really apply standard attitudes about Earthly weight to Zalathan weight, as Zalanthas most likely has a different (weaker?) gravitational pull.. if it's gravitational pull is indeed weaker, everyone would have a lighter weight (ala astronauts weighing less on the moon and such). So throw that 7 foot elf onto Earth and he may indeed weigh 250lbs or what have you. -shrug- Hrm.. maybe whirans don't use magic to float, maybe they're just really fuckin light. Blurg.
I hope life isn't just one big joke, because I don't get it.  -- Jack Handy

It is perfectly realistic to make the assumption that Elves are extremely skinny and can weigh what Arm says they can weigh.

They would have a lighter bone structure, which explains their greater frailty compared to Humans and Dwarves.  Their musculature is far thinner than Humans, which explains their strength.  Those two facts alone easily put an Elf in its weight range.

Just for reference, I know a marathon runner who is approximately 6' 5" tall and he weighs 155 pounds.  He is in his early 20s so he doesn't have the extreme conditioning that runners in the 28-35 range can have, so he is heavier than he will be if he keeps this up for the next 8 years or so.

This is evidence that even tall humans can weigh less than you would ever think.  However, if memory serves correctly, weight scales geometrically as height varies.

So at worst, Zalanthan Elves might need to be just a bit heavier, say 9.5 cords max weight, but my opinion is that their weight as is, is perfectly acceptable.