Author Topic: I know I'm going to get flames for this one.  (Read 11370 times)

Anonymous

I know I'm going to get flames for this one.
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2005, 11:52:04 AM »
Quote from: "Qetesh"

And for special apps, what are you asking for? If you have 0 karma and have been playing the mud for less than a year and have no account notes, well, no.. we might not give you a magicker or mul. (Disclaimer here is that I am NOT Naiona and don't really have any say in why she does or does not accept people for special apps) [/size] If you are asking for a d-elf.. well, maybe if you've no comments against you. Be realistic in what you ask for and be realistic about what your true game world experience is.  One of the reasons why we have levels of Karma races is because we want those who play those levels of things to really -know- how the world works.  Some of those High-end Karma roles are mysterious and intriguing, but truth be told, it's not the role that is that way, the role is just a set of skills. It is the player behind that role. Because those are the very -best- players in the game that have consistently shown it over and over again and they have the knowledge and background to take those roles and make something extraordinary with them.

Well I'll admit, my attempts for special applications were a bit higher then level 0, I've learned a lot between these posts I've seen in reply to my original and will indeed try some stuff, and have already submitted a letter about the report card

I'm going to take part as mostly frustration and impatiens. As I have said on a past thread, (that I will string up here cause I spent a day writing the post) if you feel you have been overlooked and have superior RP skillz, email the staff to ask whats up. Explain that you feel a little neglected and would like to know what you can do to find out if your play is up to par. You are not a special little snowflake. There are some I don't know 200 or more active players we have to look at and only maybe 12-15 of us active. We -may- have missed you.

As for kindergarten roles, I have level 50 karma and can play a swirling vortex of clouds if I want. You know what I like to play? Human Rangers, best role in the game as far as I am concerned. Many of our big Karma folks actually enjoy those Kindergarten rolls a hell of a lot more than the Karma ones.

Also, this topic was just done to death less than a month ago.  Lets try to close this down if we can.

Well at least I don't feel too bad for being a ranger half the time, I too find them to be the most fun of the guilds available at the beginning.

and this is to answer the person who posted above about the "if you're not able to play a merchant, you won't be able to play a karma role"  Well, I'll never know till I try.

peace

Jarod

Cuusardo

« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2005, 01:21:50 PM »
Don't be worried so much about getting karma as thinking up new fun stuff to do with the other races and guilds you have access to.  The mundane guilds make for some really awesome RP, and the possibilities are damn near endless.  Humans are so versatile, and IMO they are the most fun race to play.  Hell, even when I play tabletop games, a lot of my characters are humans.
Quote from: Anael
You know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

joyofdiscord

« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2005, 01:39:47 PM »
People say that it's the karma'd players that always say "karma doesn't matter."  Well here's someone with no karma (last I knew...my current char is pretty long-lived) who will reiterate it. It doesn't really matter.

Now, I know someone might say, "Well joy, you enjoy stealth characters, that is what is fun for you, but I can only have fun playing magickers!"  Well guess what, I'm -dying- to play a magicker.  I've had my low-karma magicker concepts floating in my head since I started playing here.  But they can wait.  In all likelihood, they'll probably even wait until a char or two -after- I hit that karma. (Assuming I ever do.  I personally just don't like being the squeaky wheel and asking for it though I might end up inquiring eventually, some months down the road.)

But you know what, I can't see myself even coming close to exhausting even those particular mundane roles I find interesting even if a decade passes.  Later, if I got interested in something more fancypantsish, I could easily occupy another decade in all the roles available around there.

Non-karma chars have 99% of everything karma chars have.  They have the vast, detailed world of Armageddon to inhabit and discover (and you can have a character "discover" something you the player know very well, and it can be genuinely fun... I know this from experience.), they have the harshness, they have their personality, their racial quirks, their prejudices, their friends and enemies, their hopes and dreams, their failures and disappointments.  The only things they don't have are magickal powers or supercharged stats (or the particular racial quirks/RP opportunities of the karma races, which, granted would be fun to play).  

And you know what, if someone claims they can't have fun without magickal powers, I don't buy it.  That's bull.  They still have everything that makes Armageddon fun and incredible.  In my opinion, magickal powers aren't even the icing on the cake.  The cake already has icing.  Magickal powers or supercharged stats are like the purple sprinkles among the other brightly-colored sprinkles on the delicious icing on the savory carrot cake.  I don't doubt that playing a magicker can be an awesome, incredible experience, but so can any of the mundane classes, just in a different way.  Internally, I tend to question anyone who's over-obsessed with the purple sprinkles.

Myrdryn

• Legend
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2005, 02:28:43 PM »
Quote from: "Rindan"
I was totally blown away by the fact that at the end of all of this, over a RL year later, I had the same karma as when I started.  A couple of characterís later I had a character that I barely tolerated, last less then a month, and I ended up retiring him.  He got karma.

Many times we as staff don't award karma until after someone is dead.  Especially long lived and well known PCs.  And by the time we find out, usually they've already made a new character and don't see the new options until that new character dies.

-Myrdryn
-- Person A OOCs: I totally forgot if everyone is okay with the adult-rated emotes and so forth?

-- Person B OOCs: Does this count as sex or torture? I can't tell.

-- Person A OOCs: I'm going to flip coins now to decide.

Vanth

« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2005, 02:38:48 PM »
To the original poster:

I'm going to make an assumption that may well be wrong, which is that you started playing the game around the time you created your GDB account.  If that is the case, you have only been playing for a month, and it is entirely normal for even the most stellar RPers to wait several months at least for their first karma point.  One major part of this time factor is that we want to see you play consistently with the same character, or over several characters.  If you've had "well over" five characters in a month, there's no way for us to judge how consistent your roleplay is.

One of the clans you mentioned having been in is one of my clans.  It is a clan where many people die quickly.  I don't generally go out of my way to watch people who've just been recruited into the clan.  However, once they've been around awhile (like an IC year) I have a good feel for who their character is and how consistently the player is playing them (if they play when I happen to be watching).  If good, consistent play continues, I'll comment, and eventually award karma.

I hope you take some of the good advice in this thread to heart.  Don't worry about karma, and it will come.  Stick with a character you love for a long period of time.  Just enjoy yourself.  If you can't do that with "kindergarten" (your word) classes, you'll probably be disappointed with the karma classes.
Nyr: newbs killing newbs
Nyr: hot newb on newb violence
Ath: Mmmmmm, HOT!

Nao

« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2005, 05:17:32 PM »
Quote from: "Myrdryn"
I was totally blown away by the fact that at the end of all of this, over a RL year later, I had the same karma as when I started.  A couple of characterís later I had a character that I barely tolerated, last less then a month, and I ended up retiring him.  He got karma.

Many times we as staff don't award karma until after someone is dead.  Especially long lived and well known PCs.  And by the time we find out, usually they've already made a new character and don't see the new options until that new character dies.

-Myrdryn

That confuses me, do you have a particular reason for that? I mean, the player can't see it anyway, so why wait?
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

Yokunama

« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2005, 05:45:19 PM »
Jarod55, if you feel like you have been overlooked or deserve any karma, you can always e-mail the mud. This has been said many times, and it has helped a few people out in some cases.

Code: [Select]
>drop pants
 You do not have that item.

Myrdryn

• Legend
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2005, 05:47:58 PM »
Quote from: "Nao"
Quote from: "Myrdryn"

-Myrdryn

That confuses me, do you have a particular reason for that? I mean, the player can't see it anyway, so why wait?

It's not as if this is on purpose.  If I had to say the reason, I'd say it's simply an oversight.  We are human and aren't always thinking about players' karma levels.  When a PC dies it's just a reminder that a player's karma options might need to be reviewed (and the player sometimes doesn't see the results, positive or negative, right away).
-- Person A OOCs: I totally forgot if everyone is okay with the adult-rated emotes and so forth?

-- Person B OOCs: Does this count as sex or torture? I can't tell.

-- Person A OOCs: I'm going to flip coins now to decide.

Yokunama

« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2005, 06:02:25 PM »
Quote from: "Qetesh"

As for kindergarten roles, I have level 50 karma and can play a swirling vortex of clouds if I want. You know what I like to play? Human Rangers, best role in the game as far as I am concerned. Many of our big Karma folks actually enjoy those Kindergarten rolls a hell of a lot more than the Karma ones.

:D I Agree.  :D

Code: [Select]
>drop pants
 You do not have that item.

Sanvean

• My Website
Some Feedback
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2005, 06:42:35 PM »
Oh and to answer the part about the special application, I think I pissed of Naiona or something cause I've sent two and gotten slapped down on both of them with a canned e-mail responce

-Jarod550

Part of the problem here may be a difference in how special applications are viewed.  Here they are from my point of view: 1) added to answer the complaint that sometimes people had awesome character ideas that they couldn't play due to lack of karma, 2) something that should be relatively scarce (which they're not, and I was just trying to figure out a way the other day to cut down on them, since some people seem to be doing it with every other character app), 3) something that is not a high priority, 4) something that should have a compelling idea behind them beyond wanting to see a new guild's skills.  

I suspect players see them very differently, and I'd be glad to hear how people think we might reconcile the two versions a bit better.

You're getting canned responses, though, probably because there are a -lot- of special applications and Naiona already handles a lot of other stuff.  I myself would rather see her focus on running stuff in the game than spending all her time on special apps.  

Every time this has been mentioned in the past, at least one person e-mails me to say "Clearly you need more staff, and I'm willing to step up and volunteer."  That's not the case.  If we take on new staff (and I think there will be a round before the end of the year), I would rather have them focus on running plotlines in the game than devoting themselves fulltime to awarding special roles.  That process is something that should be mainly governed by karma; it is one of the reasons why the karma system is in place.

First, I never saw deleting an account as a solution to much. You are still the same person, the staff can tell just as easily thats it's you. Not much to be gained.
-amoeba

I will go so far as to say that it can even prove to be a point against you.  I would rather people try to work their way past bad comments (which can and does happen on a regular basis) than try to hide themselves.  Karma is based on trust, and lying about who you are is not something calculated to make people trust you.

At a guess, I would say 4 times out of 5 we can easily tell when someone is making a new account like this.  Sometimes they give themselves away by repeating names, or giving it a "clever" name, logging on from the same IP, repeating descriptions, naming an account after a character on a past account, repeating styles of play, repeating requests made to staff, repeating objectives, making or repeating typos in the same style, etc.  I think eventually it usually comes out, no matter what.  So if you want to try it and are smart about it, you can probably get away with it.  The problem is that you have to spend a lot of time pretending to be someone that you're not, and it gets difficult.

One of the reasons Armageddon is so engaging for people who really want an intense roleplaying environment is because the setting and theme are so consistent and high responsibility roles are only given to those people who've proven they can be trusted to take a shot at them.
-Jherlen

Yes, yes, and yes again.  We don't stick to the karma system because it's so much fun to have people writing in to say we are clearly unfair because they haven't gotten any, or posting passive-aggressive digs about it on the board.  This is a system that helps balances the game overall, and thus we stick to it despite the sporadic strife over it.

Armaddict

« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2005, 08:33:30 PM »
I will go so far as to say that it can even prove to be a point against you. I would rather people try to work their way past bad comments (which can and does happen on a regular basis) than try to hide themselves. Karma is based on trust, and lying about who you are is not something calculated to make people trust you.

I need to delete my account and start over.  Man...I fuck up way too much.

And no, I'm not serious with that.  Still trying, guys.

I've been a player here for six or seven years.  Karma and badass characters that couldn't lose were my focuse for four or five of them.  I didn't start doing well until the past couple years, when I've put more focus into influencing the game as much as I could with my characters.  You'd be surprised how much more fun it is.  And the karma comes with it.  I can pretty safely say I'm not a favorite of the staff for various reasons, and I don't even have a -lot- of karma.  But most of it has come recently, with this new focus to the game.  My ultimate goal right now?  I want to be a name in clan document histories, perhaps even the game history.  Kind of the same deal people in real life want...to be remembered.

Don't worry so much about the advancement of your account.  Worry about the advancement of the game, and use your characters to do it by playing -as that character-, and I think you'll not only get karma faster, but you'll also reap the benefit of improved enjoyment of the game in it's purest form.

I hope it doesn't take you as long as it did me to at least -start- to figure out the true point of the game, but once you get there, it's worth it.  There's a reason I stick around, and don't restart my account, after years of being a hotheaded prick and dealing with the consequences of it.  This is a game, but it's the best one, which requires there be certain measures in place to keep the game the most intricate role-playing game available.  Karma is one of those measures, so just recognize it as such rather than a 'rank' that you'd like to get.

If there's a karma role that really interests you, and you think you can play a -good character- in that role (not a character that has sweet spells/skills that you want to mess around with), then special apply for it.  Sometimes (such as in my case), they watch the way you play and decide you can keep the karma for that role.  Strangely...I haven't used it since I got it.

Good gaming.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

amoeba

« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2005, 08:42:23 PM »
Quote from: "Armaddict"
My ultimate goal right now?  I want to be a name in clan document histories, perhaps even the game history.  Kind of the same deal people in real life want...to be remembered.

You hit it right on. To get your characters name on the main history page, wouldn't that be cool? Who cares what karma class it is that does it.  :)
quote="Morgenes"]
Quote from: "The Philosopher Jagger"
You can't always get what you want.
[/quote]

Sanvean

• My Website
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2005, 09:14:47 PM »
I'm going to archive this thread, since I think it will be useful to future generations of players.

AreteX

Re: I know I'm going to get flames for this one.
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2008, 07:20:10 AM »
I am a bit jarred by Karma as well.

I suppose, being a new player..  People say 2.arm is taking up alot of time for staff.  I'm not sure if my little newbie character is worth their time to watch, unless I somehow manage to get involved in something big.

I'm still new, so I know my roleplay isnt the best, I'm still learning the emote system..  But I am so very interested in playing certain races and characters.  Have no real thing for magick, but Half-Giants sound incredibly interesting to play, I could get into one of those characters and feel immersed moreso than alot of the starting races.

Halflings sound damn cool too!

I started off as a human to be able to interact with most people and not take IC hate so I could learn the game(aka elves).  But, dwarves interest me so that'll be my next character..

Perhaps I can try to submit a special app once I feel comfortable with the generics of the game, but I can see how the OP could be upset.  Its daunting to know you have 4 selections of MANY available to you, and you must "prove" yourself to be able to play them.  I understand the concept, but its daunting to a newer player to know that you may be proving yourself all the time, and just overlooked.

NoteworthyFellow

« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2008, 10:02:32 AM »
Perhaps I can try to submit a special app once I feel comfortable with the generics of the game, but I can see how the OP could be upset.  Its daunting to know you have 4 selections of MANY available to you, and you must "prove" yourself to be able to play them.  I understand the concept, but its daunting to a newer player to know that you may be proving yourself all the time, and just overlooked.

I've found that special apps are never a bad idea.  You really have nothing to lose for submitting one, so after playing a few characters, go ahead and special app a half-giant.  If you've proven yourself trustworthy (a good way to do this, by the way, is playing in clans, because every clan has at least one assigned staff member and you're more likely to be "noticed"), I'm sure you'd be welcome to play one.

By the way, I had no idea one could actually reply to threads in the Archives--I guess I always assumed they were locked.  Huh.  The More You Know.
"Life isnít divided into genres. Itís a horrifying, romantic, tragic, comical, science-fiction cowboy detective novel. You know, with a bit of pornography if you're lucky."

--Alan Moore

BreakBad

« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2008, 02:40:50 PM »
I always thought Archives were locked too...

And to AreteX, it's easier if you just don't thing about getting Karma, just play the game and instead of worrying about proving yourself, as you put it,  get into your character, his mindset/quirks/etc, and any plots he might be involved in...

It's been said over and over again, but it takes some people years to get any karma, so just play the game and have fun.

Nyr

• Red Fangs
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2008, 03:00:48 PM »
Well, the thread's locked now.  It's here for a reason.
Paint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.