conflict, action and suspense

Started by amoeba, August 13, 2005, 11:39:16 PM

I was thinking quite a bit about what I like and don't like about the game.  There is a tendency to focus on discreet events or issues at hand, or ones own pet peeve, But I would like to discuss a broader issue, that of conflict.  In any conflict that is enjoyable to play out or read, there are elements of action and suspense.  Action is stuff happening, Suspense is not knowing the outcome.  I found in looking back to what I have enjoyed about this game, and what I have not, each time I enjoyed the experience, there have been strong elements of both in play.  When I have not, one or the other was missing.  I see both action and suspense as dancers, with action taking a subordinate role to suspense.  Let me explain.

Take a typical scene that has been discussed quite a bit, that of a gemmer in the barrel.  It's easy enough to insert action. Insult them, walk away, mutter under your breath, etc.  It's all been talked about before ad nausium. Now if the only thing that happens is that there are only elements of action, in short order it becomes dull, lifeless, and somewhat tedious.  But insert an element of suspense into the play and it becomes a whole different story.  How do we insert suspense into a scene such as this? Well for one the eventual outcome needs to be uncertain.  To do this we need to take risks, on both sides.  Will this gemmer throw a cog and lash out in a deadly fashion at the crowd?  Will a paranoid patron, stalk the magicker back and kill him for the good of his friends at the barrel?  For the event to be suspenseful, the end result should not be a forgone conclusion.   I'm thinking of another thread there some said he emoted a failed steal from a templar, only to be summarily killed.   I suspect from the way the question was laid out, he didn't enjoy the experience as much as he thought he should.  In my eyes, furthering this argument, the end result was a foregone conclusion, hence no, or limited suspense.  How could the very same event be played out with more suspense on both sides?

I think there is a lot of emphasis on how to make more action happen. There is much less emphasis on suspense.  Think back on all the times that you really enjoyed, the events that really made you love this mud, I'll venture a suspenseful element was part of it.  My question to you all: How can we increase the element of suspense in our characters lives?

On a side note: You'll have to excuse my ramblings. It's these dull Saturday nights, sitting between characters that I find myself waxing philosophically. :)
quote="Morgenes"]
Quote from: "The Philosopher Jagger"You can't always get what you want.
[/quote]