16 too young?

Started by Anon, July 18, 2005, 03:11:16 PM

I sought to an organization with a new character that I wanted to see go from 16 to 60. Unfortunately, upon hearing that I was 16, the recruiter told me to bugger off as being a kid.

Now, I think this is seriously fucked up. In a society like Armageddon with such an atrocious death rate, 16 is practically middle aged. 16 was considered an adult until the 20th century.

And yet this bastard gives me 15 seconds, hears my age, and leaves.

It was a rather annoying and frustrating experience.

This is IC.
As a norm, though, sixteen should be old enough for most simpler roles.  I doubt I would ever see a sixteen year old merchant or advisor working for a House, but an assistant, fighting recruit or lower aide could make sense.

Some characters may feel differently about this.  Also, sixteen years for a human is much older than sixteen years for an elf.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

I have edited your post to take out a few IC things, annon.  Edit for hal correction. I don't personally think sixteen is too young to become a recruit of any clan, but the other person may have IC reasons besides your age not to hire you.

THey also may have left in a hurry to deal with another situation which might not have anything to do with you. You could just roll with it IC and try and be persistant.
Sometimes I feel less like an immortal and more like a drug dealer.

In the past, I've been told explicitly about it being 16. (again, edited by Qetesh for content, please DO NOT site specific examples on the GDB)

Lie your ass off.

Say you are 18. If he says you look younger, tell him to get the kank piss out of his eyes.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Part of my complaint is that I wasn't given much of a chance to RP anything. I went in under the impression 16 was more then old enough. And then he just told me to bugger off and immediately left. There was no RP after that nor the briefest chance for it.

That gets me more then anything.

The best advice I can give you is to hunt him down and kil- Uh.. no, wait..

Well seriously,

What you could do is -make- the effort to Rp with him. When you see him again, approach him again, with the same vigor and emoting you had planned the first time.. And keep at it. Make it fun for yourself. If anything it will annoy the crap out of him that you are so persistant and perhaps promote a bit of good Rp on his end, who knows.. you might even get hired.
Sometimes I feel less like an immortal and more like a drug dealer.

I think it would have been better if you had handled this IC'ly instead of immediately emailing clan imms and whining on the GDB.  I'm sorry if you don't like the way you were treated IC'ly, but Zlanathas is a harsh world.  You could have started pestering the guy trying to convince him you were good enough.  Or bribed him.  Or who knows what else.  There are a lot better options than the one you've chosen.

Now, if you'd like to discuss what ages are considered adult, etc. in a reasonable manner, that'd be great.  I think it's a topic worthy of discussion.
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

What age is too young, you ask?
Depends on my pcs, but here is my overall thoughts.

If I am playing a mercenary, do I see a young man that has the potential to have a strong arm, that I can corrupt to make them pretty much worship me?

Am I playing a mercenary that doesn't see the future past his nose? So do I really care what this young shit can or can't do?

Am I in a bad mood? Do I want to recruit right now? Maybe I want to get a free drink but this kid hasn't gotten that idea yet.

Is the kid lieing? Maybe he is thirteen and not 16. Do I want to take a chance to have a kid that will try to rape me in my sleep just to have his cherry popped?

Do I see any benefit to myself to hiring this kid? Maybe he reminds my pc of his childhood and how he never really had one.

Is the next recruit in line a half breed or someone I don't like? I'll hire the kid.

Can I hire that hot man/woman/it/ghoul thing instead of the kid? I'll take a shot and be back later if I fail, because man, I want to get layed. Hey. Maybe this kid will help me out in that department.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Quote from: "Anon"I think it would have been better if you had handled this IC'ly instead of immediately emailing clan imms and whining on the GDB. I'm sorry if you don't like the way you were treated IC'ly, but Zlanathas is a harsh world. You could have started pestering the guy trying to convince him you were good enough. Or bribed him. Or who knows what else. There are a lot better options than the one you've chosen.

Now, if you'd like to discuss what ages are considered adult, etc. in a reasonable manner, that'd be great. I think it's a topic worthy of discussion.

Far be it for me to rush to someone else's aid but... without having read the original unedited version of Anon's post, I don't think what he posted was "whining" in my book.  In fact, I find that the excessive use of the word "whining" on this dicussion board is becoming somewhat annoying.

I may be wrong but the original poster of this thread strikes me as somewhat of a new player.  I'll bet you any amount of money if you, Halaster (or anyone else reading) were a new player and this situation happened to you, you'd march right over to the GDB to remark on how it made you feel.  It's a perfectly legitimate feeling.

Now maybe (s)he didn't go about it properly (or as properly as you would have liked) but it's not very fair to simply label them a whiner.  Calling someone a whiner is generally reserved for debasing insults.

My grandfather left home to do a man's work when he was twelve years old. He caught alot of shit for his age, but most people shut their holes as soon as they saw the tenacity and work ethic of this skinny little cowboy. I don't doubt that he had a rough time getting the work due to his age, but he managed. So will you, but not like this.

I also think that 16 is easily old enough to join up with most clans, as a fighter or wet behind the ears recruit.

I dislike the idea of someone saying,"No" And then leaving without another emote. He should have at least said 'Get some more experience then come see me again' or 'Fucking kid, go away. There's no room in the ass-stompers for anyone as green as you.'

Standing and leaving with no emote just seems cheesy to me, but as a few others have said, the GDB isn't the place for things like this. If you felt he was being an ass or OOCly hurting the game's atmosphere, a mail to the mud account or his clan Imm's wouldn't have been amiss.

However, posting on the GDB in a near-rant isn't going to get you anywhere.

-WP
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Do not post forum threads regarding what you view as poor RP in recent scenes.

To summarize this thread before I lock it (yes, I'm pulling the trigger and only a few hours after saying I'd chill a bit -- but this one is over the line :x

• Don't post about recent IC events on this board.  (Not even in your clan boards)
  • Don't post about a particular person's poor RP on this board.
  • You have the option of taking your greivance up with the person's clan staff and the mud account via e-mail.
  • You have the even better option of seeking resolution ICly.
  • Don't post about recent IC events on this board.  (Not even in your clan boards)
Grumpily,
-- X