'Bleedin all over the place'

Started by Alnir, July 11, 2005, 05:14:39 PM

Quote from: "CRW"
Quote from: "spawnloser"How's this for an idea, if you're not above 80% hitpoints, DON'T GO TO THE TAVERN, YOUR CHARACTER SHOULD BE IN PAIN!
That makes no sense, most all taverns in the game have sleeping commons, so why wouldn't a character seeking shelter go there?

Because everyone will undoubtably steal his belongings.

- Demonaire -

Quote from: "CRW"That makes no sense, most all taverns in the game have sleeping commons, so why wouldn't a character seeking shelter go there?
I think the issue isn't so much the people that go to the sleeping commons.  In my experience, those people are left alone.  It is the people that come sit at the bar and start chatting that would be more the issue.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

simple thing, really. here's the rule:

when the raw code doesn't accurately reflect the "reality" of the world, use the tools available to you to describe what "really is."

For instance, you're at half health from starvation, though you've just filled yourself up on gruel at base. You go out to a tavern . .  . (no, you're still weak from starvation, thats why your HP is low.) You're lying on your cot in your barracks, with the default ldesc "is bleeding profusely" or whatever. This is bad. You are not bleeding, you are emaciated and weak. Therefore, use change ldesc.

Of course, newbies might not know how to change ldesc when they walk into a tavern bleeding. Teach them well and teach them politely. And try not to use OOC. Making general rules for deciding who is noob and who is experience is much more difficult, as is deciding when they mean to be bleeding profusely and when they just forgot to change ldesc again. Each person just has to use their judgment. Do they look and act noob? Then maybe they forgot or don't know about change ldesc. Don't assume they're bleeding, then. See if you can get them to explain what happened. "hey, ya look bad. you feeling alright?" If they're decked out and looking experienced, they probably mean to be bleeding.

also, as mentioned earlier, blood on armor is a good indicator for making educated guesses.

If you're half-starved and that's causing your hps to drop, I think a tavern (y'know, that place where you can sit and buy food and eat it) is exactly the right place to go.

Great, so eat.  People that come in and chat with people or stalk around all mysterious-like?  Not so much.  Also, starving, in my experience, lowers your MAX hp not your current, so your current would match your max and you would not be bleeding while starving.

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

So basically people that are hurt and bandaged shouldn't find shelter.  Got it.  Makes perfect sense.

Quote from: "spawnloser"Great, so eat.  People that come in and chat with people or stalk around all mysterious-like?  Not so much.  Also, starving, in my experience, lowers your MAX hp not your current, so your current would match your max and you would not be bleeding while starving.

But like once you eat, you start to regain your MAX hp and so then it looks like you're injured.  Your MAX and your actual hp don't go up together. :D
You do know that MUDsex is not a coded skill, right? -Nidhogg

I didn't say get no shelter, I just said that going to a crowded place where bleeding on someone could get you killed, not to mention the discomfort of being jostled and the like.  Now, compare that to the sleeping quarters.  Oh, or maybe one of a million other things that aren't public gathering points.

Oh, and yes, your max and current hps wouldn't necessarily go back up at the same rate, but whenever you get max back, no matter what position you're in, you should be regenning, being only a few hp under your current max.

I've died of thirst before.  Eventually.  Just thirst, not injuries, but towards the end I looked injured.  Well, I assume I looked injured, I kept passing out so I didn't really look at myself,  :P  but my prompt numbers indicated that I would look injured.  So yeah, you can take actual damage (not just a lowering of the max) from dehydration and starvation, but only when it has been going on for a long while.  By the time you've been starving or dehydrating long enough to start taking real damage you should look like hell, but you probably are not bleeding.

Burning may cause bleeding, but it usually doesn't.  Oozing maybe, but not bleeding.

It would be nice if the messages were either made more general, or more specific.  Either say that you look varying degrees of unwell, or else actually tailor the message to the kind of damage.  <sdesc> is here, bleeding lightly.  <sdesc> is here, looking crispy.  <sdesc> is here, looking dehydrated.   The problem with tailored messages is if you happen to be damaged from combat, dehydration, burns, and maybe some kind of psionic attack all at the same time -- of course at that point it could just say "<sdesc> is screwed" because you must be the unluckiest man in the world.

Angela Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Quote from: "Angela Christine"
Burning may cause bleeding, but it usually doesn't.  Oozing maybe, but not bleeding.

As for a sunburn, peeling is the worst that will probably happen, and when that happens you're exposing the part of your skin that's actually alive, so oozing is possible, but it would have to be an extreme sunburn, which I don't think would happen on zalanthas because a) the sun is red, not yellow, and b) the dust in the air would scatter light. Sigh to runon sentences. Fire burns would probably ooze, or blister then ooze, not bleed, but if it was bad enough to remove skin or flesh you might get blood.

QuoteIt would be nice if the messages were either made more general, or more specific.  Either say that you look varying degrees of unwell, or else actually tailor the message to the kind of damage.  <sdesc> is here, bleeding lightly.  <sdesc> is here, looking crispy.  <sdesc> is here, looking dehydrated.   The problem with tailored messages is if you happen to be damaged from combat, dehydration, burns, and maybe some kind of psionic attack all at the same time -- of course at that point it could just say "<sdesc> is screwed" because you must be the unluckiest man in the world.

I vote for changing all ldesc injury descriptions to "is here, a bit screwed." "is here, rather screwed." "is here, screwed."
...so instead of stealing an uneaten one, like a normal person, I decided I wanted the one already in her mouth."

Best movies EVAR:
1. Boondock Saints
2. Green Street Hooligans
3. Fight Club

Norman Reedus is my hero.