Author Topic: My First PK - What about yours?  (Read 8810 times)

cabbage

pkilling!
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2003, 08:32:08 PM »
maybe im just evil and cold hearted....
but in game fighting is my favorite part of muds (ive playe countless godwars muds for countless hours). I have yet to kill anyone on arm (i have had no good rp reason to slay any one YET, but i did lose a fight to a badass gith once) but i eagerly await my new pc's baptism of fire.
and yes it sucks to lose a char you put a lot of effort into but you know its survivial of the fittest. Spoils of war, agony of defeat, you know all that good cliche shit. Tough luck i say.

the halfling

My First PK - What about yours?
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2003, 01:50:36 AM »
I've played enough of a PK mud that the heart pounding and all that other stuff doesn't even happen anymore.  I still will play on a PK mud(though they say they aren't one) when I want that kind of game.  Pking is fun but the problem with it is that alot of times it quickly becomes who knows the code the best and how to abuse it.  In Pking alot of times RP comes second and you will do whatever you can to pk that person.  This still of course happens in Arm I'm sure, but not to the same degree.

I've only pked once on Arm, and it was with a merchant character of mine.  The whole thing was rather odd.  The player was in my opinion suiciding, so I didn't really feel bad.  (they were subdued incase you were wondering how a merchant killed someone, it was still a shock)

It's the perma death that makes PKing people not as fun on Arm for me.  On Pk muds sure they lose some equipment or whatever, but their character is still kicking, I didn't really feel bad, I mean it was a PK mud.

Like it has been said already.
Reasons I would PK.
1.  They attack me first.
2.  I'm playing an "assassin" and I get -paid- to.
3.  RP is really strong.  The character is mines enemy and we had enough interaction that anyone would go, oh yeah I can see why you killed them.
4.  They are a magicker, and I'm from Tuluk or Red Storm.

Now I have no problem with people who PK for less reasons though, I just don't.  It's part of the game, according to the rules there is nothing wrong with it.  Regardless of how I would never play a raider like I've seen played, I do believe they serve a purpose, NPCs just don't do it for me.
 don't eat everyone.

Carnage

• Posting Privileges Revoked
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2003, 10:31:20 AM »
and yes it sucks to lose a char you put a lot of effort into but you know its survivial of the fittest. Spoils of war, agony of defeat, you know all that good cliche shit

I wonder if you'll be saying that when your 20 day old character with a rich history is killed by some n00b because he's got nice equipment.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

Rindan

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2003, 12:06:52 PM »
Quote from: "Carnage

I wonder if you'll be saying that when your 20 day old character with a rich history is killed by some n00b because he's got nice equipment.

Equipment means very little in Armageddon.  At most, it is a determination of how fast you can whack someone, not if you can whack someone.  I know that my last 20+ day warrior could have killed any newbie of any class naked if he was just armed with a single training weapon.  That is not to say that a newbie couldn't kill a 20+ day character, just that it won't be because of his/her equipment, unless a delfier sword of death is included in that equipment.

Carnage

• Posting Privileges Revoked
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2003, 04:29:17 PM »
You interpretted my statement wrong. I meant that the newbie killed the warrior for the warrior's equipment.

Equipment goes a LONG way in Armageddon, as far as bluffs and stuff go. If someone is loaded with tattoos, rings, and armor, you know they're pretty buff. Why? Because they've been around to amass enough money to get all of that stuff.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

cabbage

« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2003, 10:20:11 PM »
well i finally got my first pk on arm..and it wasnt at all as i expected it would be like. I was in Tuluk in a sandstone plaza when this dirty elf character tried to steal from me. he tried twice and failed and i caught him both times. I yelled at him and said i would run to get a templar if he didnt leave, and you know what he tried again and i caught him for the third time. So i hit with my club. He died rather quickly (i think i only hit like 3 or 4 times with my club) Then after his death I was looking through his stuff to take his sids, when a pc guard came by and stabbed me to death. I felt no shakes or rush in fact i was sad that my first pk was over something stupid and that i died so quickly afterwards

« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2003, 10:22:15 PM »
Okay, cabbage, I only got through the first sentence of your post and that was WAY TOO IC. Look up to the top of the page.

no IC-sensitive information.

Please do not post such things on the GDB concerning your characters.

Zharal

kill kill kill...
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2003, 03:13:50 PM »
My favorite is finding the sleeping Byn guy..... hurt from sneaking out the gates... Gotta love sliding the blade to the hilt and hearing the beep....
 :mrgreen:

borif

Re: Suspension of disbelief
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2003, 09:38:14 PM »
Quote from: "marko"
Easily explained - when we are playing seriously, we tend to get drawn into our characters and the world by suspending disbelief - in other words, we believe it to be real.

Therefore, the actual act of murder is one that gets our adrenaline going.  Some people even become addicted to killing others.  

Why is it worse than say, a first person shooter?  Well, because you _know_ the other character won't ever come back, you know the player behind the character spent a lot of effort developing it, etc etc.. basically, you know deep down you just, literally, killed a character forever.

The few times I've killed characters, I've had to remind myself that Armageddon is a game and not real.  Still, the reaction can be powerful, especially if the mark was long lived.
is youre name really marko?????

hatashi

« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2003, 09:49:06 PM »
hey that remind me of last night some dood said he would help me go hunting he waited till we got tired told me to sit then he attacked me i killed him in the end heh.  :twisted:

gretous

« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2003, 09:52:11 PM »
Quote from: "Samoa"
Though I have never been involved in a PK situation, twice now adrenaline has sunk into me and left me with blurred vision and trembling nerves of finely-crunched glass.

Once, during my first defiler encounter, I was terrified.  I have playlists set up for 'scary things happening on Armageddon' so I queued that up and it really only made things worse (better?).  I had more or less expected to die, and everything simply added to the mood of horror.

The second time was during a staff-driven plot with interaction, and aforementioned playlist working in the background.  Much the same reaction from my body, though here I am, sitting in the darkness of the dorm room at like 2am when my roommate came in... he must've thought I was nuts the way I was acting.  Anyway.

Both were very memorable, and in the past when I played on PK muds I felt the same things... it's the life or death rush that sometimes gets added to excitement.
hey that reminds me when this dood said he would help me go hunting he waited till we got tired told me to sit and attacked me (the bastard) i killed him in the end though  :twisted:

« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2003, 10:56:50 AM »
Please, refrain from posting IC info on this board.

Twilight

« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2003, 11:51:56 AM »
My first PK.  I had a noble guard, and an elf had been harrassing my employer, several times.  Another guard, my character and our employer walk into the Gaj, and there is the elf.  I suppose we could have left him alone, but my character wanted him dead.  Lets just say it was quick enough he basically had no chance.  I didn't particularly feel bad, as the player either had to know acting how he did was going to get him killed.

Its funny, but looking back over my character list, other than gladiators, of all the times I was PK'd, nearly every single time has been by a magicker, except one time, when I was the magicker.  I think five or six deaths to magickers, and one death to raiders.  And lots and lots of deaths to NPCs, falling, killing myself when typing a spell, poison, drowning and other assorted methods not involving other PC's.

One thing I love about Armageddon is the edge it puts you on.  After you figure out how to not die to a scrab, you still have to worry about other players.  After you figure out how to mostly avoid dying to other players, you still have to worry about dying to those things that make you go from 3/4 to full hps to dead in like 2 seconds or less.  I have yet to figure out the next stage.  As long as that potential for loosing my character is there, whether to PC or NPC, I'm sure I'll be hooked.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

Khorm

« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2003, 05:17:15 AM »
Been playing a little over a month, have yet to kill someone's character. I came fairly close with my first character, and even really beginning to plan something out made me very jittery, giving me a hard time as I tried to come up with something that would work.

And just recently I witnessed a situation where someone else was attacked and killed in the same room as me, which scared the shit out of me, to say the least. Even though I knew my character had nothing to fear, I still got shaky and my head got all cloudy, I probly started to type about 10 different emotes in response to the fighting, but would lose it 2 words in and just forget what I was writing.

I guess I could probly post this in the thread about emoting things like flee, and battle/attacking. If I know my character even has a remote -chance- of dying I get not just emotionally upset, but even physically incapable of typing anything but basic commands. And those effects generally last about a half hour, where I'm just not able to participate in any in depth rp situations.

I dunno, maybe that's just me.
Her head is average.

Sandferret

« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2003, 05:41:57 AM »
I have had attempts on the lives of my characters and two were killed by a player. The first for a valid reason and after having been given the chance to try to run. I have nothing bad to say about that one. :)

When the unsuccessful attempt was made, I sat frozen, certain that my character would die. At very, very low hp I finally got my fingers under control. My character refused to die. It was one of the experiences I'll always remember.

A few days ago, I was in the situation that could have proved lethal to the other party or to me. Neither me nor my character wanted that, but there was no feasible option. My fingers shook and I watched in horror how my char's weapons sunk in the flesh of the other person. It probably took me that 30 minutes to recover.

I will attempt to kill only as the last resort. But if it comes to that, I'll do my best. With my shaking fingers... ;)
f time conversions are giving you a head-ache, visit: http://www.worldtimeserver.com/

Sephiroto

« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2003, 03:25:23 PM »
In two years I've had three PK's.  The first was the most cheesy and I regreat it.

The first, like many have stated, was the kill of a link dead pc.  I was a n00b, what more can I say.

Two years later, some time in 2002, my character was determined to end the life of one he saw as a problem.  The confrontation took place and my char's target fled into a well protected place.  Nearly dead and resting in a public place, my char pulled something from his belt and hurled it through his target's head.  But the whole time, knowing that the law would dispatch of him.   Oocly I knew that my char would die, icly my char was unsure.  I had the text entered throw <item> <person> <direction>...I hesitated.  I really didnt want to die, but I really didnt mind dying either for some reason.  I hit the enter button and heard my target's deathcry.  I suppose that kill was more of a trade for I sacraficed my pc's life to end that of another.

Not too long ago, my third and most recent PK was against a particular PC who had, as well, been a problem, attacking others and such.   There were several confrontations but he always managed to get away.  The fights douced me in adrenaline and my hands shook.  After all that struggle to kill one person....he was just gone...forever.

On another note, the thing that seems to get me more pumpped than anything is fighting in the arena.  Some time ago one of my char's actually had to fight for his life.  That, in my opinion, is much more adrenalizing than a simple pk.  Having countless npc's vnpc's and pc characters watch you battle for your life in the arena is the most intense feeling.  I was so shaky I had to wear a coat to warm up....and it wasnt even that cool.  My gladiator too, the randomality and unexpected things of the arena always keeps you on your toes.

To anyone who has never played a gladiator character, do it.  It is the most intense feeling you can have not related to the  plot lines of normal pc activity on Arm.  The first time is always the greatest.  You get to fight the most amazing things, pc and npc, and you get to kill them with the soothing thought that the gladiator was created to die.

Vwehehe...
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2003, 12:17:16 PM »
I was playing a noble once, a noble who was definitely NOT above doing his own dirty work.  He had quite a problem with another noble, and so he dressed in dirty clothes, put on some grungy cloak, and threw a poisoned dagger (that he had for self-defense) at the enemy noble before fleeing like a little coward.  As far as I know, the assassination attempt failed, but it certainly left the target feeling rather vulnerable and scared.  :twisted:

Plazgoth

« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2003, 04:52:53 PM »
I want to voice my opinion on PK yet again. Looking at it from a different perspective. In th epast when I PKed for survival sake I always got the trembling hands blurred vision thing. But when you PK someone because you truly hate and fear them IC I felt simply victorious. Especially if you plan it so that you know who would come out on top and you give only a small chance to escape to the victim. I did feel a little sad about the other PC investing time and energy in his character but the feeling quickly passed, after all I followed my IC motivations not my OOC feelings.I think the jittery hands symptome comes when we fear for our own character's life or we fear that the victim will escape and come after us one day. Well just some random ramblings that came to mind...

Hot_Dancer

« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2003, 06:42:30 PM »
After a point, other pc's lives just become sort of insignificant. Sometimes there's standards to keep that get people killed. There's huge lists of possible offenses they can trip and they ignore any notion of warning. Sometimes it's personal. *Beep* Armageddon probably wouldn't appear half as harsh as it is if pc's began showing a bit of common sense, with a large population of the mud has zilch of.

All characters have an element and, they stick to them at first. They develop, they get some consistancy, they grow strong. Then they get bored, wander out of their gig for a little excitement. *Beep*

One of my first PK's was (I don't remember if I had any before) foiling the attempt of an assassination in a tavern. But, I only got half the kill, the poor assassin tried his luck while two loyal 20+ day old Byn trained warriors were in the room..

Hot_Dancer
Anonymous:  I don't get why magickers are so amazingly powerful in Arm.

Anonymous:  I mean... the concept of making one class completely dominating, and able to crush any other class after 5 days of power-playing, seems ridiculous to me.

Plazgoth

« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2003, 07:36:21 PM »
All characters have an element and, they stick to them at first. They develop, they get some consistancy, they grow strong. Then they get bored, wander out of their gig for a little excitement. *Beep*

I completly agree. In fact most of my deaths were due to the same phenomenon. But for me exploration always brings some excitment even in death. After all the excitment is what I call fun. Being on the edge of your seat wondering what will pop out from the next corner. As far as PK I agree with you as well.

« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2003, 09:57:49 PM »
I must be crazy. Or an odd ball or something. But I've never minded losing my characters. I have this weird habit of creating hundreds of different characters when I get a new game. I recently purchased the game Morrowind, and I've already burned through a good fifty characters, none of them played past level five. I'm just a nut job, I suppose.

So basically, when some one pks me, I obsess for a few moments over how cool or how twinky the death was, then get right to work on fleshing out my new character. I often have whole note books filled with ideas for future characters. I was even tempted to multi-play once after my sister abandoned her account... I restrained myself, and just said "Hey, I'll wait for my current character to croak." The little bastard is still ticking...

Of course, I don't assume that everyone else shares this mindset. But I know it's totally possible to get over a character's death. And you must admit, when writing up a new background and picking your starting guild, you can't help but feel a little excitement as you plot out your new character's life, can you? Therefore, after I player kill some one (Which only happens on the rarest of the rare occasions), I feel the tiniest twist of a pang of guilt, and then transfer it over to my character and sleep like a baby that same night. Am I heartless? Yeah, probably.  :twisted:  :wink:   8)

But I'd have to agree, you do get quite the adrenaline rush from Arm, espicially during combat. Krath, I sometimes get near orgasm just solo rping in an empty tavern! (Kidding, of course). But Arm's realism can get to you, make your fingers shake and your head pound. And it's at that point when you truly enjoy the game.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
You find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
A staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

John

Me PK? Neeeeeeever :roll:
« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2003, 05:31:43 AM »
Wow, this thread was certaintly different. I never knew so many people were averse to PKing, and they put so much thought into it. I'm also suprised to find out I'm not the only one who gets shaky hands when playing. That happened to me within hours of playing (I got confronted by a Templar and I knew enough to be scared), and I _loved_ it. :)

I never set out to make a character whose purpose is to PK people, I just don't get more enjoyment from PKing people then I do other things. I've only ever PKed twice, and one of the times was cause of my lack of knowledge on the combat code. I've also led someone somewhere and an NPC killed them, but that pissed me off cause it ruined all my plans I'd had, but I quickly recovered. I've also only PK'd a few "sentient" NPCs as well, mainly cause I treat them the same way as I treat PCs. Although I've killed QUITE a few animal NPCs, cause well, they're animals.

When deciding on whether or not to kill someone, unlike a few people here I don't consider "will this have an adverse affect on any plots" or "will the player get angry?". I think killing someone whose involved in  a plot for their money is perfectly acceptable. I actually tend to think NOT killing someone if it's IC too, because they're involved in plots that will be disrupted, is actually a bit bad (but I understand why people do it). My reasoning is, any plot the person is involved with will either crumble, and at which point everyone who was involved will react accordingly and probably have a lot of fun and cause new plots to develop, or someone will take over his role.

I use to care about dying, and was _really_ close to my characters, and got angry and upset when bad things happened to them. Then I realised I wasn't enjoying playing like this, and several bad traits I have were being passed onto my characters, so I stepped back a bit and stopped being quite so immersed. Now I have a ball, even if I do die. Sure when those first moments of dying an anonymous death are upon me I'll get angry, but it quickly passes and I just take some time to think about what will happen with the people I knew, how they'll react to my death, will they know about my death, etc. Then I start thinking up a new character and put in an app.

I also LOVE dying to another PC, ESPECIALLY when that PC throws me an emote or two before my death. It's so much more worthwhile dying to a PC then falling into the silt sea (don't ask  :roll:).