Author Topic: RP'ing a bad command  (Read 2314 times)

Ueda

RP'ing a bad command
« on: January 08, 2003, 08:31:52 PM »
This is my first post. I was put in a sticky situation and I was wondering how would be a good ic way of handling it. We were in the desert and a black beetle arrived so I typed hit black, but someone I just met was wearing a black dustcloak. So I hit him, fled and then went back to him trying to think of a way out of this. If you could leave anything helpful I would appreciate it

thanks ueda's

Is there anybody in there?
Just not if you can hear me.

Bestatte

• Posting Privileges Revoked
RP'ing a bad command
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2003, 10:02:50 PM »
First, to the quote. It's "just noD if you can hear me." Had to point that out, sorry.

Second, you can let them know you are still not very skilled with your weapon and your aim was off so bad you missed the beetle and hit the guy in the cloak. Or tell him he got in the way (depending on how you wanna handle it).

As for why you fled, the beetle scared you maybe? Since it obviously DIDN'T get hit, it meant it had a chance to hit you. So you ran. Yeah, that's it! Or something.

Eclipse

RP'ing a bad command
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2003, 10:36:57 PM »
Say: I thought you were the scarier of the two so.... it was either you or him and I chose the not so scary one.

Say: Beetle? What beetle? Whoa, I thought you were a beetle, look at that, I made you so much prettier too.

:)
ree as a bird and joyfully my heart
Soared up among the rigging, in and out;
Under a cloudless sky the ship rolled on
Like an angel drunk with brilliant sun.
                                        - Charles Baudelaire

Anonymous

RP'ing a bad command
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2003, 10:41:46 PM »
I was in on this little incident, and I'd have to say, it was handled kinda poorly on my part, but thats life. I panicked and did what I thought would be ICly right, for an ooc reason.

Tough luck, but I enjoyed the hell out of it :)

I usualy just rp saying I missed enemyX, accidentally whacking friend Y...

Rindan

RP'ing a bad command
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2003, 11:55:12 PM »
If it can be RPed around without feeling foolish, then I generally make the attempt.  For instance, if you over shoot your group in your kank because you tried to move too fast, then just blame it on the kank not stopping.  For more serious things, I generally just go 'OOC That didn't happen' and leave it at that.

For instance, I was one practicing unarmed combat with a superior officer.  Accidentally, I forgot to unwieldy my weapons and tore into my officer.  After I realized what happened I fled and came back.  We sat around for a few seconds, then one guy spoke up OOCly saying he canít think of a way around what just happened, and we quickly agreed that it didnít happen.  The officer in question ICly complained of feeling faint (she was code wise hurt just above regenerating) and RPed backing out of the fight Ďbefore it beganí so that she could heal.  We carried on as normal.

I prefer dealing with it this way because it doesnít force people to be ICly accommodating.  With one character in the Byn I remember a similar thing happening.  The character in question that had weapons wielded during an unarmed fight said that ICly he forgot he had his swords in his hands.  To me, this felt far more disruptive then going OOC.  The officer was thrown into a position where he had to leave his character without actually going OOC.  The officer in question, ICly, would be pissed beyond words if someone Ďforgotí that they had two weapons in their hand.  He would probably have been damned close to kill the fool.   However, because it was clearly an OOC mistake, he broke his characterís personality and ICly said something to the effect of ďthat is ok, donít do it againĒ.  To me, this was far more jarring then if they had OOCed and just agreed that it didnít happen.

For the decision is always based upon what is the least jarring to the scene.  Some times, OOC is the better of the two options.  Some times trying to think up a story as to why your character did something exceedingly stupid is harder then just going OOC, agreeing it didnít happen, and moving on.  I suggest weighing your options, and going with whatever you think is the least disruptive, realizing that some times going OOC is better then bending the fiction of the world to absurdity.

witchman

RP'ing a bad command
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2003, 08:06:03 AM »
I don't know - sometimes it can be bad to "back things up" and pretend things didn't happen.  Suppose for example, Rindan, one of the soldiers present really hated your character and would have loved to use your apparent misbehavior as reason to get your character punished.  Then "erasing" your mistake would be improper.

Further, if someone had been spying on the situation and ran to report the actions to their superiors would they then be lying?  *ponder*

Much better to accept the actions and make an IC excuse for them.
 taste the sands.
I smell my death.
Is that the Mantis head?
Oh, fek!

Rindan

RP'ing a bad command
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2003, 09:58:17 AM »
I completely disagree that erasing that mistake would have been improper.  The simple fact of the mater is that my character would never have just forgotten that he has two very large weapons in his hands, and further, he would have never have beaten the living hell out of his commanding officer.  There was no way to RP out that situation.  If we had all just gone along with the fact that my character beat crap out of his commanding officer, then the next RP that followed would have been my characters execution because he had suddenly gone insane.

If there had been a soldier there who hated my PC, then I hope to hell that he would recognize that that hate is OOC, and that it is not their OOC goal to destroy my character, just his IC goal.  If someone had been there spying, they would have also seen the brief OOC conversation that followed explaining that it didn't happen.

How exactly would you have RPed out a soldier who is fanatically loyal to his commanding officer suddenly beating her up with lethal weapon?  I donít care how you dice it, suddenly having a character go completely insane and trying to kill his commanding officer is flat out disruptive to RP.

witchman

RP'ing a bad command
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2003, 10:39:04 AM »
Hrm.  In further consideration, I guess I would restate my argument thusly:

In general, pretending an ooc accident never happened is a bad idea.  The majority of the time, they should be played through.

The case you describe, Rindan, may be an exception.  I guess I'm just in fear that players will start using the "ooc: that didn't happen" whenever they accidently use talk instead of think or accidently emote pinching the wrong ass or whatever, you know?

I mean even pinching a templar's ass when you mean to get your character's SO could be resolved by "Sorry, I thought you were someone else, Mi'Lord" and some prison time.  Heh.
 taste the sands.
I smell my death.
Is that the Mantis head?
Oh, fek!

Anonymous

RP'ing a bad command
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2003, 05:57:23 PM »
Something like this just can't be set in stone.  The closest I can come to is whether or not it happened and how drastic it was.

Someone once asked one of my PCs for some chicken breast, meaning erdlu.  OOCly they asked me to ignore that.  Wish granted, it just didn't make sense that it would happen.

I once did a think and said it outloud instead.  Too bad, no "ooc that didn't happen."  I just F'ed up and so did my PC.

Another occasion myself and another PC were hunting two other PCs.  We charged in to take them out and I forgot room order and did a 'kill brown'.  Of course my partner in crime was also wearing brown...

BUT, realistically it could happen that my PC was in such a state of bloodlust that he swung out and struck his friend inadvertantly in a fit of rage.

So again, it all comes down to whether or not its feasible.

If I emote sheathing my weapons but forget and start a friendly round of boxing only to slice my opponent up, well, I'd be more inclined to ooc 'whoops forgot' and go from there.

Gawynn

RP'ing a bad command
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2003, 01:38:12 AM »
I OOCed when my character stuck his tongue out at someone, and then I promptly remembered that my character doesn't *have* a tongue ;P I don't know if they realized why I wanted them to disregard it, but I left it at that ;P
Ladies and gents, we're still alive
By the skin of our teeth, now it's killing time
Angel in our pocket, devil by our side
We ain't going nowhere, cuz' heroes never die!"

Blood of Heroes - Megadeth