Author Topic: A bit of a quandry  (Read 2640 times)

Swapmeet

A bit of a quandry
« on: May 31, 2005, 01:55:39 AM »
I just made my first character, a child in the rinth, but the problem is that I started out with like 800 coins.  This seems like too much money for him to have.  On top of that, not knowing the merchant system very well I accidentally bought an axe in the bazaar.  It just seems to me that a person in the rinth with these kinds of wealth and belongings should realistically get torn to pieces in minutes.  Can anyone suggest an IC way to get rid of this stuff?  Or would they just let it slide if I OOC'ly tossed it aside?

Also, how much is 1 obsidian really?  Like, how many obsidians in a dollar, if you will.  I'm just wondering how much coin is realistic for a poor character to have.

Xygax

• Legend
A bit of a quandry
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2005, 02:15:47 AM »
Don't worry.  If you spend all 800 'sid on fancy clothes, you can rest assured you'll be torn to shreds in minutes, just as you seem to be hoping for.  In the meantime, I suggest tossing those coins in the bank...  you'll burn through 'em faster than you think on things like food and water, at least until you get the hang of things.

-- X

nameless

A bit of a quandry
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2005, 02:19:32 AM »
The reason you start with so much, is so you can get out of your newbie cloths, get all the equipment/tattoo's your suppose to have had already.  If you think you have too much left over, just junk'em.

It's easier to use the whole number system.

Instead of trying to buy stuff using the command "buy <whatever>" use instead "buy #<number of item>" command.

For example:
List
1.) Black sand cloth shirt
2.) Black sand cloth pants
3.) Black Steel axe of doom

Say you want to buy the black sand cloth shirt
Instead of typing "buy black" or "buy shirt"
Use "buy #1"

Keeps you from getting items you don't want.

Also if there are multi-able merchants in a room, just add a keyword after your argument/number.

Anonymous

A bit of a quandry
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2005, 02:22:08 AM »
Okay, I was just wondering if its realistic for him to have that kind of money, let alone a bank account.  And I'm actually hoping not to get torn to shreds, at least for a few hours anyway.

Xygax

• Legend
A bit of a quandry
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2005, 02:30:17 AM »
800 coins certainly isn't a massive fortune.  There are articles of clothing that sell for 3 or 4 times that.  For a 'rinther, though, and if you spend it wisely (which you probably won't, it's hard to really know what you need) you can live on it for several RL days, at least, which should be enough to find some friends and a couple ways to make more.

As some have said, it's also an opportunity to "style" your character as you see fit, both in terms of tattoos etc., as well as gear:  armor, Kruth cards, dark clothes, spice paraphernalia, etc.

Have fun, and please don't hesistate to ask for help if you need it.  On IC things, please either wish up or e-mail rather than posting here.

-- X

Anonymous

A bit of a quandry
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2005, 02:34:33 AM »
Ok, thankyou...sorry at the time I didn't realize I wrote so much IC stuff in my first post.   :oops:

Ghost

A bit of a quandry
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2005, 03:27:14 AM »
As Xygax already said, your character will know it all too well, what happens when you have something that looks -nice- in the rinth:  You will be torn into little pieces.

In the rinth, only the ones that look like a rinther survive.

And as already been said, 800 coins is not much.  You will soon realize it is not.
some of my posts are serious stuff

Cenghiz

A bit of a quandry
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2005, 09:00:32 AM »
Heh... more experienced players usually dump their beginning money except the amount they believe their characters should have.
But not knowing much about the game world, you'll need that money so you can keep on without starving till you learn to earn.
By the way, keep your money safe; read "help skill_peek" and know that NPCs can do that, too.
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

moab

A bit of a quandry
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2005, 01:48:40 PM »
I don't know - Cenghiz - maybe we should take a poll on that.  I never dump my starting coin when playing a rinther.  Need tats, a crappy weapon and something other than a newbie suit.

Now - if we could get all those things before we enter the game, then I would _love_ to start with like 2 freakin' sid.  :-D
quote="Hymwen"]
Code: [Select]
A pair of free chalton leather boots is here, carrying the newbie.[/quote]

Malifaxis

• Thoughts of the Sixth Age
A bit of a quandry
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2005, 02:01:14 PM »
I don't see 800 as being outrageous.  Another good way to think of it maybe is that you don't have 800 in coin.  You're a rinther... so maybe you have 200 in coin, and another 400 worth from a scattering of jewels you pried from some belt you stole from your mother, and some other assorted stuff.

You got all this newbie crap, and you need something 'less conspicuous' so you hustle off to trade those gems to the guy who deals in rags, because they're more useful. You wanna offload them quick instead of being caught by the templarate so you aren't worried about price.  You get your new threads and hustle off, keeping that extra 150 you figure you'll need tucked high up your butt.

: would love to see minor trade goods given at char gen on ~armageddonMUD
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Stop being shitty to each other.

Cenghiz

A bit of a quandry
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2005, 02:05:40 PM »
I don't know - Cenghiz - maybe we should take a poll on that. I never dump my starting coin when playing a rinther. Need tats, a crappy weapon and something other than a newbie suit.

Yey... I sometimes don't junk and keep it.. My first 'rinthi kept all his money, because at the end of his history he robbed a drunkard merchant then decided 'easy coins' were real sweet.. I don't think junking the starting money should be a must..
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

joyofdiscord

A bit of a quandry
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2005, 02:11:08 PM »
One of my first chars was a rinth kid too.  Despite what people say about the rinth not being a place for newbies, a scummy child beggar is a pretty decent role for a beginning player because it lets you be nice and ignorant, ICly.

Anyway, in regards to your question, I think 10 sids is about equal to a dollar.  This is based on the fact that I live in Mexico, and here, prices in pesos are -remarkably- similar to prices in sid, except for things like water (which -is- expensive here, but not Zalanthas expensive).  There's about 11 pesos to the dollar, so I estimate about 10 sid to the dollar.  If you're comparing relative buying power in the U.S., you might have to knock that figure down to 5 sid to the dollar (since things are generally pricier in the U.S.).  E.g. something that costs 80 sid in game might cost 16 dollars in real life (assuming it's something like clothing, and not a weapon, which are obviously priced very differently in RL).  So, your 800 coins is somewhere between 80 and 160 dollars.  As Xygax says, not a huge fortune, but nothing to sneeze at either.

Sometimes my rinth chars dump their coins, sometimes they don't.  It's not really -that- important, IMO.  Having a lot of coin in the rinth isn't the same as having a lot of coin elsewhere, because things are EXPENSIVE in the rinth.  This is very comparable to RL.  You don't find many supermarkets in the ghetto, only convenience stores that sell junk food.  So people in ghettos end up spending more for the basic necessities of life.  That's part of the cycle of poverty, more than simply not having a large number of coins.

To stay true to rinth poverty, maybe worry less about having only a few coins, and worry more about playing true to a rinther and only buying food and such things in the rinth instead of in southside shops where people will sneer at you.  That will eat up your coin plenty fast.  The exception would be buying starting things like tattoos or whatever things your char is starting with, which you can do in Allanak proper in a semi-OOC sort of way.[/i]

bloodfromstone

A bit of a quandry
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2005, 02:17:30 PM »
The starting coins are really there to keep you going so you don't starve instantly if you can't find a job. Well, aside from buying tattoos and starting trinkets, of course. I wouldn't junk your starting coins, I would just think of a way to explain them IC. Like someone else suggested, maybe you don't have 800 'sids on you. I'd say maybe you've got a few odd jobs you run in your free time (I.E. when you quit out) that someone is paying you a little for, and this is what is keeping you going for now. But your contact only needs so much done, so you've got to start looking for another employer or some way to freelance once that well runs dry...

Just how I would justify it IC... There's a thousand different ways, depending on yourself and your character. Junking the coins is acceptable, too.
eeling YB, you think:
     "I can't believe I just said that."

Yokunama

Re: A bit of a quandry
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2005, 05:07:30 PM »
Quote from: "Swapmeet"
I just made my first character, a child in the rinth, but the problem is that I started out with like 800 coins.  This seems like too much money for him to have.  On top of that, not knowing the merchant system very well I accidentally bought an axe in the bazaar.  It just seems to me that a person in the rinth with these kinds of wealth and belongings should realistically get torn to pieces in minutes.  Can anyone suggest an IC way to get rid of this stuff?  Or would they just let it slide if I OOC'ly tossed it aside?

Really, 800 sids will not take you very far, If you take into account the cost of living such as: stabling,(if your race uses mounts) food, water, supplies. These things cost money. If your race uses them, you'll end up buying a mount and more than likely, you'll have to stable each time you enter the town.

Code: [Select]
>drop pants
 You do not have that item.

sacac

A bit of a quandry
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2005, 05:15:28 PM »
Well, hopefully a rinther kid that doesn't know anything else is not buying a mount and going into the wastes.
l armageddon la mia aggiunta.

John

A bit of a quandry
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2005, 07:22:07 PM »
An easy way to RP your starting coins, if you're a rinther, is that you found 800 'sid on a dead body in some alley. You might have your character wonder why the person that killed the body, didn't steal the coins ;) Perhaps they're cursed (codedly they aren't of course, but nothing is stopping you from having your character believe they are). So now you have a choice, keep your cursed coins, or get rid of them, even when you need coins to survive.