guards sapping

Started by guest, January 06, 2003, 03:02:39 PM

I have recently had this happen several times...

Sandstorm kicks up, I pull out a torch, I try to get too neerest inn but between me and inn are several guarded gates...

So I estimate the number of times I have to type e n ect...(since ICLy my charactor has gone over this terrain millions of times so he should remember even in the dark general directions)
But end up walking into a gate guard who without further adu Knocks him cold in the middle of the street where he is robbed.
Just because he walked in the wrong directon...

Not very cool, if I were to sap someone on the street I'd be arrested, didn't matter what reason why, but these gate guards do it all the time.
If technically a gate guard is just an elite of the specific noble house they are guarding then Why dosn't the crim code flag them as wanted?
Since I've been an elite before I KNOW if I did that I'd be wanted

Quote from: "guest"I have recently had this happen several times...

Sandstorm kicks up, I pull out a torch, I try to get too neerest inn but between me and inn are several guarded gates...

So I estimate the number of times I have to type e n ect...(since ICLy my charactor has gone over this terrain millions of times so he should remember even in the dark general directions)
But end up walking into a gate guard who without further adu Knocks him cold in the middle of the street where he is robbed.
Just because he walked in the wrong directon...

I know this isn't your point, but how exactly can you tell which way is which in the middle of a snowstorm?

I mean, I know I've done it with PCs, but if you step in the wrong direction its a mistake on your part, period.

As for that guard, its dark out and some dark shape tries to elbow past and get to the gates, so *WHACK* better to be safe than sorry.

I'd say either huddle down and wait for sunlight, or be prepared to face the consequences.

Not very cool, if I were to sap someone on the street I'd be arrested, didn't matter what reason why, but these gate guards do it all the time.
If technically a gate guard is just an elite of the specific noble house they are guarding then Why dosn't the crim code flag them as wanted?
Since I've been an elite before I KNOW if I did that I'd be wanted

I'd imagine its a choice of reality vs. continuity forced by people spamming directions while sneaking.

I've seen people go north north north north north north before in front of barracks with guards that only growled at them, spamming to get past.

Personally, I'd just RP that guards positioned to watch over noble holdings are cleared by the City Ministry/militia/whomever to dispense with justice as they need.  Domain rights and somesuch.

First, Zalanthas isn't real life, so yes, while a Bouncer IRL would get fired, fined etc. for bashing someone's head in, these Gate Guards wouldn't. They're there for a reason, to keep you away from the gates. These houses likely have an arrangement with the Militia to allow their gate guards to take certain precautions with people screwing around near their gates. If you don't want to run the risk of getting lost, or sapped, which your character may, he may choose to stay the night where he is.

Maybe the guards with super autosap triggers should only do so upon so many attempts to move past and or on sneak/run attempts. I know I've had a few pc's knocked out just for trying to walk in the wrong direction, some which were not clearly guarded.  

Personally, I think the autosap guards are a big inconsistancy. A straight up twink guard that made me scared to go anywhere in New Tuluk that didn't have generic npc's infront of an opening/entrance to wherever.

Hot_Dancer
Anonymous:  I don't get why magickers are so amazingly powerful in Arm.

Anonymous:  I mean... the concept of making one class completely dominating, and able to crush any other class after 5 days of power-playing, seems ridiculous to me.

Quote from: "Hot_Dancer"Maybe the guards with super autosap triggers should only do so upon so many attempts to move past and or on sneak/run attempts. I know I've had a few pc's knocked out just for trying to walk in the wrong direction, some which were not clearly guarded.  

A single warning for people who try to walk by wouldn't seem so bad, but I don't know what sort of a joy that would be code.

Two quick points:

1) *Noble* guards generally ARE given much more leeway with what they do around the city.  It may mean some extra bribes or a piddly house noble coming out and saying they're OK with what the guard did, but stringently guarding a noble's ownings seems well within limits, per se.

2) If you see rooms/areas which are not "obviously" guarded if you take a moment to look at the room description, direction description, &/or ldesc of the NPC's (X stands here guarding the gate), please "typo" them.

3) The intention isn't to make getting around difficult.  But it is meant to make people consider options other than spamming past a guarded gateway, lest they wish to face the pain.

-Savak
i]May the fleas of a thousand kanks nestle in your armpit.  -DustMight[/i]