wretching

Started by Deathtakeusall, January 06, 2003, 04:56:54 AM

i think u should be able to put ur hand down ur throat and attempt to retch to try get out rotton food and poisen ect
Go ahead take it what harm could it do"

Two things:

1) This has been brought up before, and while it's a neat idea, it devalues poisons. First of all, if the meat is so rotten that its causing your body to reject it, it should be visible. People eat maggot infested meat (mmm.. extra protein, plus the maggots eat away a lot of the rot), even slightly rotten meat that might give you a tummy ache. But if its squelching with mold and stinks to high heaven then YOU SHOULDN'T BE PUTTING IT IN YOUR MOUTH. The mold doesn't make it taste better.

2) I do not know if english is or isn't your first language, and I apologize in advance if I come off as harsh, but it is very difficult to read your posts. Lack of capitalization, combined with a lack of punctuation, combined with unintentional and intentional misspelling bring a brand of confusion to reading them that makes my poor teeth ache. Here's a slight hint: U is the twenty-first letter of the alphabet. UR was an city in the ancient Mesopotamian civilization. I believe the words YOU are looking for are YOU and YOUR.

Sorry.. it's just really hard to read your posts.
se K.Y. jelly to grease up your chihauha and set him loose in the sewers to establish a beachhead for your underground empire.

I generally believe that if you take poison, you shoving your finger down your throat is just taken into account.  So, if I were to drink a poisoned drink and then realize it was poison, I would RP out forcing myself to vomit.  You can pretty much assume the normal reaction of any person who realizes that they have been poisoned is to throw up as much as possible.  Why would you not throw up?  With that in mind, there is no need to add code so that you throw up, just make it so that the code caculates damage pretending that you are trying like hell to not die and making yourself vomit.  Some poison will slip into your blood regardless.

*once more flashes on the thought of trying to retch Terradin from your system*

HAHAHAHAHAHA...

Thank you, *finally goes to bed*

Oh something I forgot to add about poison. Many poisons are not introduced to your body by ingestion, but if they are, you should probably assume that the poison has little flavor or color to give it away, or that the food masks the flavor. Once the poison takes effect, it should be considered to already have entered the bloodstream.

Just a quick lesson on anatomy: Vomiting causes only contents of the stomach, I believe, to be expelled. The only two things that I know of that are absorbed in the stomach is water and alcohol. Different poisons may enter the body through much of the mucosal membrane that lines the mouth, esophogus and stomach. Even spitting out the food and throwing up by the time the symptoms of poisoning happen may not be enough to diminish the effects of the poison, since it is all or partially travelling through the blood stream. Poisons in fatty tissue, carbohydrates, or even protiens however may not even be assimilated until the delivery mechanism hits the latter part of the digestive system, specifically the lower portions of the small intestine: The jejunum and the ileum, which are specifically designed to absorb the nutrients into the body. At that point, vomiting would probably be of little help.
se K.Y. jelly to grease up your chihauha and set him loose in the sewers to establish a beachhead for your underground empire.

If you aren't confident that the food you are eating is wholesome, or you just want to extend the eating process rather than scarfing it down as quickly as possible, you can "taste" food and "sip" beverages.  This won't prevent poisoning, but eating a little poison is less likely to kill you than eating a buttload of poison.  If food looks rotten, weird, or was just given to you by a "nice elf," then it just makes sense to smell, taste it and ask all your friends "does this taste funny to you?"

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins