Show me the sids!

Started by Chronicle, January 01, 2003, 07:53:20 PM

Alright here's an idea:

How about having everyone in a clan that has salary-based pay get thier sids deposited in thier bank accounts instead of giving it to them directly? Just something the clan imms can handle instead of putting it in a PC's hands. Sometimes conflicts arise in the PC's playing times and it's hard to get pay. Anyway, it was just an idea, mend it and twist it into whatever works:)

-Chronicle-

By my understanding of the system, for money to be added to your account, the clan imm or an imm would have to be on-line at the time to handle it. That could be a VERY demanding task as they would in a sense, be required to be on-line, watching for the character to handle such a mundane task. If you're having problems with pay and it's becoming serious, you may consider e-mailing the PC leader and seeing if a meeting time may be arrangable to deal with pay sometime or e-mail the clan imm if that (those) person(s) is/are not available and ask for the money to be handled sometime if they have the time or set up a time for it or better yet, have them drop it into your footlocker (if it's secure enough) sometime.

A script for a paymaster or something may work out better but that could be a LOT of work and could be negative in some regards. Imagine the guy who hasn't been on-line much at all, comes on for 5 minutes a week to accumulate a stockpile of cash and then at the end of a long-period of RL time, takes the money and runs off to buy himself an obsidian mansion. They wouldn't have really earned the cash ICly or OOCly but they have it and if they aren't fully committed with a life-long job, they could now be rich for having done nothing and sever all relations with the clan which has in essence, lost a lot of dough since the PC didn't do anything to earn the money.
ree as a bird and joyfully my heart
Soared up among the rigging, in and out;
Under a cloudless sky the ship rolled on
Like an angel drunk with brilliant sun.
                                       - Charles Baudelaire

I disagree with this idea, though obviously it could make life a lot easier for a lot of people. The trouble is when you get PCs who don't log in and do their share of clan work, or worse if they do log in and don't do their share of clan work. IMO if you're in the game and active you get 'hard' sids for 'hard' work ... if you OOCly have to be away from the game a bit, you get virtual sids for virtual work. If someone's having trouble meeting a clan leader to get paid, then IMO either they're not trying hard enough to arrange a meeting or maybe they even aren't interacting with the rest of the clan much. Most clan leaders I've known of (self included) bend over backwards to try to accommodate people's log in times for things like pay. I guess if it's really troublesome for some strange combination of things, you could e-mail your clan imm and ask to have your pay added to your bank account as a lump sum each RL month or something? All IMO.

Swordsman

It's not always an OOC inconvienance that leads to not getting payed. Sometimes it can be IC things, that you should be getting payed even if it's from someone else, but because there's only one PC in charge and they are off some other place... You can't get payed.

One reason I like the Byn, you get payed in food. You don't have to worry about not getting payed. The cook is always there. Also they Byn is rarely in lack of PCs, during the day Pacific time.

Problem with all the other coded orginizations, is lack of PCs mostly leader PCs, and it causes problems, but, although it's a pain, it can't really be helped, if you have more leader PCs you have even less PCs they are in charged off and it wouldn't be much change. Everyones a leader PC, everyone now gets paid but it's not worth as much because their isn't any one to acctually do the work.

Also... Yeah, I think a coded way of payment is a good idea, but the fact of people not logging in for long periods and still getting payed I don't much like the idea. SHRUG. Don't got anything that can solve the solution.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

Quote from: "Swordsman"... if you OOCly have to be away from the game a bit, you get virtual sids for virtual work.

And then your character goes down to a virtual tavern and blows most of your money on virtual booze and virtual whores.  You were planning on saving some of it for that new obsidian breastplate, but some virtual pickpocket came along and stole the last of it while you were on your way to the bank.  I hate those thrice-damned virtual thieves!   :evil:

Ahem.  I actually do have something potentially helpfull to add.  If you are having trouble meeting up with the person in your clan who is in charge of paying you, try emailing your clan imm.  He may be willing to help you get together with your boss, or to animate a clan NPC that has the authority to pay you.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Im not having trouble! It was just an idea for the people who -were-

-Chronicle-

I think your idea could be easily implemented using the clan bank account. Let's say the person that is supposed to pay you is not on when you are, but instead of handing you the sid, he deposits it into the clan account. Then you (if you were high enough in the clan) coud go ahead and get your salary from the clan account. There could be some sort of OOC means of the person paying to let you know he has your salary in the clan account. If you are not high enough in the clan to use the clan account, I would say you are out of luck.

Quote from: "Eclipse"By my understanding of the system, for money to be added to your account, the clan imm or an imm would have to be on-line at the time to handle it. That could be a VERY demanding task as they would in a sense, be required to be on-line, watching for the character to handle such a mundane task.

There is already at least one IC group I am aware of that has automatic bank deposits.

Personally, I'm all for it, especially in the case of guard PCs who outlive their employers.