Dying for dyes!

Started by Bestatte, December 26, 2002, 08:54:54 AM

Okay not literally dying, but here's the thing:

Learning to dye things in real life isn't exactly rocket science. I do, however, understand the need for regular failure in the game before someone can be any good at it, so it's all good on that account.

What I don't understand, is why you need to destroy the same amount of dye to fail on a feather as you do on a length of cloth big enough to make a greatcloak.

So here's my idea, and yes I did "idea" it in the game:

Let packets of dye be craftable for people with the dye skill. You'd

craft dye

You think you can make a couple of small packets of dye with that.

craft dye into couple of small packets

(with hardly any failure, since you already have the failure built into the feather thing):

You now have 2 small packets of dye, that can *only* be used to dye very small things, such as feathers. If you try to craft fabric or anything bigger than that, you get a "You don't think you can craft anything with that" message.

OR...maybe you'd get "You think you can make a length of red striped fabric" since you're using half the normal amount, thus able to make stripes, but not solids?

It would give dyers another thing they can do with dyes, and offer just a tiny bit more variety for those of us still in the learning phases, and give us twice the chance to fail (or succeed) in getting those danged feathers to turn purple.

I think that's an excellent idea, and would probably work with what I've seen of the crafting code... you can craft logs into things, or smaller planks, etc.

Neat idea!

For some reason I think I've seen this subject and same exact first line before. I might just be insane though.

Otherwise, yessss, I do like that, since well, being a dyer is sure boring. The only interesting thing I got to do was dye like... 20+ feathers to fill an arrow order. Wooo, luckily the fletcher was really good and I didn't have to waste any more of that precious precious silver dye ;->

Oh yeah, back to the point, good idea. But here's the question, would the stripes be vertical or horizontal?

Good idea. Or perhaps dye 2-3 feathers at a time?
Quote from: BhagharvaWhat you don't know can kill you. What you do know, can kill others.

To the north
[Near]
A lanky, brown-skinned gith is here, humping the rusty brown kank.
The rusty brown kank to the north bleats miserably.