A Newb Without a Clue

Started by SpartanHelot, December 25, 2004, 04:08:24 AM

Now before I get down to the questions, I would just like to introduce myself.
Helyo. My name is Spartan... I've been an alchoholic for around four years now. However, I've been limited to those small, black chocolates with the brandy insides, that are normally available only around This Festive Season (I cannot say its name without the small chance of being labelled as Politically Incorrect- I don't want to taint my image forever, now do I? ... :oops:)... Except for that odd one I might find forthcoming from underneath my couch cussions... I'm sad, arn't I? :twisted:

That aside I'd like to mention, that I'm no one new to harsh, roleplaying expectations, anyone who has played Anchordeep (for those that who havn't heard of it, Anchordeep involved three cities, Algorin, Englen, and Cranswrath, duking it out in semi-organized PvP skirmishes...) on NwN, can agree with me on this. I remember leaving that server in the wake of multiple IP bans... And the way GM's went around harrasing players that either looked at them the wrong way (one friend of mine got banned for arguing with the lot of 'em over disagreements on the definition of Roleplay- if for extended periods...), or did not live up to their demanding expectations...
I'm not that new to Muds (if playing on Achaea for a week can qualify for that), and I have some experience with harsh death penalties aswell.  What more can I say...?

...You are certainly blessed with a saintly patience if you have managed to make it this far, let me say. Guess it may just be the -holy- spirit of christ-o on this greatest of commercial seasons has rubbed off... :roll:

Alright, for the question- how come, when I point at Allanak on the map in that one chamber, at the start, it says that region is unavailable?? Too many players? Place is under renevations...?

First off, welcome Spartan.

There is no reason you should not be able to pick up Allanak.  You must be typoing something or such.  Just check it again, what you just wrote.
Other than that, it can be a bug or something.  You might wish up and ask about it.  If you do not know what is a wish up, see "help wish".  Basically, you would need to type something like this:

>wish all I am in the Hall of Kings, but somehow I can not point to Allanak.  Can you check if it is a bug or something?  Thanks.

That would be a basic wish up for a situation like this.  Other than that, if you find some difficulties, you might ask for help from Armageddon "helpers" from this link:http://www.armageddon.org/intro/helpers.html

I hope you enjoy the game.
some of my posts are serious stuff

<insert standard newbie greeting to Spartan here>

You might need to check and make sure you are typing "point allanak" not "point to/at allanak"

Also, be sure to check out the list of Helpers for some on the fly help or advise via instant messenger, or more extensive advice or help via e-mail.
When we found her Marnlee mornin',
Hoofprints walking up her back
There were empties by her war braids
And sixty-five dead carru in a stack.

~ Unknown - Heru Got Runover by a Carru

QuoteYou might need to check and make sure you are typing "point allanak" not "point to/at allanak"

You could possibly be using too many words with the code. In Arm, maybe the same with the previous mud you described, we usually don't use little words such as 'to' and 'an'. Perhaps you typed point -to- Allanak. In Arm, you simply need to type point Allanak and you're good. Yes, as mentioned, we have a wide helpfile covering everything anybody needs to know to properly function within our little word-world.

Welcome aboard Spartan...and you think alcohol is addictive, wait 'til you try this... :twisted:

I like this newbie.

Can I eat him?

Spartan,

Hope their ideas help you to log onto Allanak.  Welcome to the game.  Your post was funny.
'm helpful to noobs, ask me questions, totally noob friendly.

"Mail mud@ginka.armageddon.org if you think you've crashed the game."

--Nessalin

Oh, Spartan, I realised what it is you're doing wrong. You're pointing to Allanak when you should really be pointing to Tuluk.  :wink:

I'm just kidding. Tuluk or Allanak, either's good for noobs to begin. I wouldn't advise Redstorm Village or Luirs as you need to be aware how to leave them, probably. And I definitely under no circumstance would begin out in the Labyrinth or just the 'Rinth as it's called, if you want to know why starting there isn't a good idea, ask Dracul. Lol.  :wink:

Yeah, I got in, shortly after opening this thread. Didn't realise I'd get such a response at all, or I would've likely returned here to let you know in short order, and to thank you all for such diligent replies.

@Rhyden-
Yea, good prudence advised against trying anything fancy, or challenging my first go, particularly since I'm trying to stretch this first characters single life out far enough to master the basics of Arm... Least thats the plan. :D

P.S.: Its come to my attention that Allanaks' map- http://www.armageddon.org/slides/intro1.html, is totally out of date... Don't mean to be rude or anything- but would someone please have it updated...? :x  :o  :D I'm praying that there's isn't too much data in the help files that have been currupted by the winds of time... Guess thats what helpers are for. :P

Welcome, Spartan!

That map is kind of old, but still useful for getting an idea of where things are located.

'Help Map Allanak' In Game will show you another spiffy map, recently updated.

You'll find that our Immz are right on top of things, be they typos, out-of-place objects, incorrect helpfiles, etc. You won't find many, but there are a few outdated files and the like around, but if they're there it's because the Imms either don't know about it, or haven't gotten to fixing it when compared with the mountain of crap we pile on them every day. :) Try 'help bug' or 'help typo' or even 'help idea' for more info if you find something that's blatantly wrong.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Oh ya, if you are really stuck, don't rely on using urine as liquid supplement. We've went over this and it's bad for you, apparently.

That is... thanks to yours truly and my overwhelming knowledge of urine.

Sa'alam,

Dirr

Welcome to the game Spartan.  At the time of writing, I am pretty new myself so I figured I'd throw in some newbie to newbie advice.  

•   Read the docs!  I am serious, just about everything you need to know is found in the docs.  Some info is buried or otherwise not immediately absorbed (unavoidable with so much to read) which leads us to helpers.

•   The helpers are very useful.  I had problems understanding some of the syntax and was unclear about some setting details.  For each case, a helper was able to direct me to the relevant doc or answer my question himself.   They are an excellent reseource for the starting player.

•   Map map map!  Break out ye olde graph paper and map as you explore.  

•   I recommend printing key docs for easy reference.  For example, I found that printing help emote and help emote examples and posting it on a nearby bulletin board keeps me from looking like a total bumbling newbie when I RP with another PC.  

•   Start with a simple concept and background.  I believe the Armageddon site recommends that newbies try a human warrior-mercenary from the villages or farms just outside of Allanak (start location should be Allanak as well).  I am inclined to agree with that, as this setting differs from your standard fantasy setting in many ways.  Even a 'typical' character in Armageddon is fun to play and can have a style all their own, unlike other so-called roleplay MUDs.

•   Your first character(s) will probably die quickly.  Don't let it get to you, try to have fun and learn from the experience.  If you play conservatively (i.e. smart) and read your docs, you'll live longer.  You can be like me and run around solo without a clue and burn through characters like crazy- that just happens to be what I like doing while I get the hang of the setting.

Hey..., thanks, Sanity. That itself is alot to take in, heh. But I'm enough like a sponge, that I can manage- just need a bit more sponge juice- err water, I think... to help absorb it.

Yeah, I'm already thinking on my next character. Like how I'm gonna play him and that... And about the mistakes that I should try hard to not carry over from my first creation... Already have his background and description typed out.

>You hear unmistakable sound of a can opening with a crunch, and a hiss, and then all is silent...

Thanks for bringing that to our attention.  I have updated the map on the page as well as provide a link to the help files online.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff