A rant

Started by Delerak, December 22, 2002, 11:50:30 PM

I actually remember some Dark Sun figurines that were released about the same time as the original product that had 2 ratlons pulling a ben-huresque war chariot.

Always thought chariots would be interesting in game.

Acctually, if small people road ostriches they would make mean calvary even without stirups, horse archers are mean, but so are people riding smaller, really quick horses that are trained for combat, being able to side step in and out and all sorts of nifty movements. Although not heaviely effective against heavier armoured people it tends to slowly widdle armies down from the outside, but again it's with smaller animals that are able be be moneuvered easiely, and with the smaller animals I don't think it'd be far fetched to see something invented that lets your keep on the animal better, probably in the form of a riding harness. Basically a few straps of leather that either have holds or you stap into with some sort of buckles or some such, of course still giving you the ability to quickly release it. Also a saddle without a stirup I think is ALOT worse then bareback on a horse thats used to a rider.

Creeper who doesn't know a damn thing but thinks it all sounds somewhat right.
21sters Unite!

:wink:  One problem with the ostrich theory... hollow bones.

Little, light people can ride just about anything, and I swear I remember something about people riding Ostriches or something like that.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

Ostriches could be ridden by 100 lbs and less maybe.  They are fucking strong but anyone over 150 lbs I think would just be pointless.

Geez, hasn't anyone ever watched Swiss Family Robinson?
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

Acctually, I've asked around. And i guess in Australia they have Ostrich races or emu races or something like that. And also that they are built to handle quite abit of strain. Couldn't say how much though. Would have to talk with someone that acctually knows something.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

Like AC, I actually have gotten a mount to flee while it was under attack.  When I got the message about it not being able to break away or whatever it is, I took it that it failed its flee check and kept on trying.  After several attempts, it worked and my character was out of there atop his kank and all.  I'm not sure if flee self does a better job of this - I don't remember if my character was also under attack at the time - but I used flee, for what it's worth.

And for what this is worth, I've always thought poorly of the state of mounted combat in the game, heh.  Definitely an old kank, though..
ife, like a dome of many-coloured glass,
Stains the white radiance of eternity.
 --Percy Bysshe Shelley