Author Topic: How I feel about Armageddon...  (Read 3720 times)

Anonymous

How I feel about Armageddon...
« on: December 18, 2002, 01:28:39 PM »
Hi, I'm a very long time Armageddon player, we're talking eight or more years of it and I've seen a lot of crazy cool stuff.  Recently though, I've been quitting the game because of a trend I think I am seeing.  Now initially I thought I would just leave it be and go quietly, but I was talking to someone who said I'm not the only disenchanted player for this reason.  Instead of just leaving, I thought I would put up a thread of disscussion so we the playerbase and you the staff can determine if this truely is a problem and how to best solve it.  I've had some great times on Armageddon and I would hate to lose it.

My problem is, I have gotten to a point where I feel, what is the point of putting a lot of time and effort into a char, if an imm might just mess it up for me.  Now before you judge, let me continue.  I don't mean animating an npc and killing me, or even telling me I can't have something.  These are all in my mind perfectly acceptible ic behaviors as it is the imms jobs to run the world and vnpcs and npcs should react to us.  No, I mean in an ooc way.  This is a message an ex imm sent me once.

><censored> is crazy bad, worse than you might think. They abuse players
>nonstop, they put shitty things into their pinfo's, they pretty much assume a
>player will never get any better than they are currently, they kill players
>like mad just because, and they give their favorites all kinds of jacked toys,
>even when they are shitty RP'ers.

Take into account, this message is old and the staff has probably weeded out a great deal of the people who might have been doing stuff like this message suggests.  But in the last two chars I've experienced some of the things mentioned in this message.  I learned via emails that the things that happened to me were a breach of policy as imms are supposed to inform players when certain things are done to their char.  But in my case I was never informed.  The staff attempted to make it up to me, to their credit, but a long time char to learn had been screwed with in a way that breaches policy isn't something that you just take a lolipop for and move on.  The question is, if these things have happened in the past, what is truely in place to say they arn't happening now?  We have a lot of paraniod players out there who might be assuming every fail is an imm lowering their skills, but I don't mean that.  My question to the players are, who else is leaving arm or thinking about it for similar reasons?
And my question to the staff is, if this is some sort of trend, what is going to change it?

I don't mean to attack the staff, we have a great staff on arm and a great game.  They work hard and I appreciate that.  But players also work hard, they develope dynamic personalities and put their time into the game just like the staff does.  While for us it might be more fun than work it is still time.  And finding out later that your time was wasted is sure to kill even the most dedicated player's interest in Armageddon.

Halaster

• Legend
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2002, 01:59:04 PM »

imms are supposed to inform players when certain things are done to their char.

I'm not too sure where you get your information from, but this is not necessarily true.  If there is something done to the CHARACTER, there is no policy stating we must inform the player, because this could be a thousand different things.  Someone's parry skill could be hosed, so we fix it.  We add a "secret" skill to someone.  We fix a typo in their desc.  And so on.

Now, if you mean that if we leave a note in someone's character info about their performance, we typically let the player know that we have, and what it was about.  For instance, if Bob goes around randomly whacking npc's for no reason and no roleplay, just to max skills, we'll leave a note in their character info and comment the player.  But not every note we leave needs to have a comment sent to a player.  If I notice that Joe kills Tim, I might make a note in Joe's info, just so other imms will know what happened.  This does not mean I need to leave Joe a comment about it.

My guess is that what you're thinking about is that it is (new) policy that we leave a note for a player if we've added a note to their account that has to do with their performance or play.  If I think Jack is playing a templar poorly, and I leave a note on his character, I need to inform Jack that I think he's playing a templar poorly, and why.

So, simply put, based on what you stated, you're misinformed.  Or, perhaps need to clarify?
Halaster

Anonymous

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2002, 02:02:42 PM »
That's part of it yes.  But there are other things imms can do too like flag pcs skills.  This is completely useless for an imm to do except out of malice if they don't tell the player why so the player can learn from it.  Same really for skill lowering.  If you lower a skill for powergaming or what have you and said player is never informed well guess what, they're just going to keep doing the same mistake every char untill they realize the imms are doing things to them and will then quit the game.  I'm sure in many cases the player even if they are informed, unless they are told imidiately rather then after their char dies, there is little chance the imm will remeber why they did it.

Sanvean

• My Website
Bullshit
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2002, 02:19:18 PM »
><censored> is crazy bad, worse than you might think. They abuse players
>nonstop, they put shitty things into their pinfo's, they pretty much assume a
>player will never get any better than they are currently, they kill players
>like mad just because, and they give their favorites all kinds of jacked toys,
>even when they are shitty RP'ers.

This is total bullshit. I can name a score of people that were considered bad players that have gone on to be good or even great players. No one kills players "like mad just because" and there's no giving out "jacked toys".

At one point, yes, this was true. That was before I came on staff and it's just oh so pleasant to still be taking shit for things other people did. But this doesn't happen anymore, and perhaps you realize the unfairness of the accusations, or you'd be posting under your own name.

The facts of the matter:

You were powergaming and a couple of your skills got no-gained. The immortal who did it didn't notify you, and that was wrong. The no-gain flag remained on until you wrote into the account to complain about a skill not branching. I looked into the complaint, I spoke to the person responsible, and I boosted your skills up a lot because of the incident. I also told you exactly what had happened and what I did about it, and apologized that it hadn't been removed after an appropriate time. You continued writing in about it and I still don't know what you expected at that point, because it seems that public crucifixion is about all that would satisfy you. And that's not going to happen. You were playing in an unrealistic manner, powergaming a child character, and the no-gain flag was appropriate. Not notifying you was wrong, and I've said that several times, and apologized for it.

The staff on this mud is better than any staff I've seen anywhere else. Are they human? Hell yes. But saying that they come home from a bad day at work and then zap players to relieve tension is a malicious lie.

Halaster

• Legend
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2002, 02:25:43 PM »
I realized that I never did actually answer some of your questions, heh.  Sorry.  So, here we go.

The question is, if these things have happened in the past, what is truely in place to say they arn't happening now?

They aren't happening now, as a pattern.  Plus, the staff contract (see other thread) is in place, which wasn't always so.

if this is some sort of trend, what is going to change it?

It's not a trend.

Based on what you've posted so far, I don't see where you brought these specific concerns up to the staff before posting on the GDB.  It looks like you must have talked to someone on staff because you said they tried to make it up to you, which to me means someone acknowledged a mistake and attempted to correct it.  So why bring it back up?

I guess I'm failing to see a problem here.  Someone perhaps did something they shouldn't have done (as an aside, I have no idea who you are what specific situation this is, so I'm having to make some guesses here), you pointed it out, and someone attempted to make it up to you.  I don't see a "pattern" or "trend" from that, though.  It sounds to me like an isolated incident?

How do you know something happened to your past two characters, if no one told you? :)  Have you emailed mud@ginka.armageddon.org and outlined your issue, yet, before posting?  Was it resolved?

Note, that if in replying to this you have to give out sensitive info, don't reply - Email.
Halaster

Gem

A defense
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2002, 02:41:47 PM »
Dear Guest,
I'm sorry you feel this way.  I don't think anyone will stop you from leaving Armageddon, thanks to a few other players who posted similar complaints on GDB.  However, I feel it necessary to point out a few things in the Staff's defense.  I don't want any new players who has just come to the mud to read your lovely post, and be turned off.  Be warned, "Guest", I tore apart your post.

1.  The so-called quote from a former imm - You yourself said that it was old.  It has been admitted that in the past, the old staff was not the most scrupulous, but over the years, the staff has slowly weeded out the "bad eggs", and improved on the profesisonalism and conduct.  I think it's unfair to repeat a quote that lost its validity years ago.

2.  Breaches of Policy.  Well.  Mistakes happen.  The staff is composed of humans.  "To Err is Human".  Everyone screws up.  And unfortunately, it's difficult to erase what happens ICly in the game, so the staff does what it can to ease the disappointments that might occur due to their mistakes.  Would you rather they did nothing, and said, "Sorry.  Tough luck"?  
If that's what you wanted, I wouldn't be surprised if the staff decided to oblige you, if you came back.

3.  Breaches of Policy.  Do you really think I would take your word at that, and take up pitchforks and torches?  If you want to claim that a staff member broke the policy, then for goodness sake, back up your argument!  You also said, in reference to breaching of policy, "...if these things have happened in the past..." That implies to me that whatever happened to you, happened some time ago.  Again, that weakens your argument considerably.  The staff has changed, policies have changed, the mud itself has changed.  If you're going to say this, get some more recent proof of the said breaches.

3.  "I don't mean to attack the staff" - What do you call your post then?  If you didn't want to attack the staff, you could've posted "I'm leaving", signed your name (as opposed to posting anonymously), and left it at that, or emailed the mud to explain your reasonings instead of taking it onto a public forum.  
In fact, I strongly encourage you to email the mud, instead of posting here again, with solid evidence or explanation on these so-called offenses on your characters or yourself.  Too often, I've heard players complain or pass on rumors that I later found out were untrue and slanderous.  Did it ever occur to you to check with the staff themselves to see if these alleged claims were true?

In whole, "Guest", you failed to provide a concrete support for your claims.  If you want to claim that the imms are out to get you, fine.  Show the support.  Explain to us, my dear, that your character suddenly couldn't understand allundean, or failed all his kicks, or whatever it is you think your skills were lowered for.  Explain to us what exactly these breaches of policy were.  DO NOT depend on heresey for your support.  It's weak, it makes your arguments seem like you're just running your mouth off (which I'm sure wasn't your intent).  

Everytime I read this post, I become angrier.  One too many people have been taking the staff and the mud for granted.  It's a volunteer-run game.  Volunteer.  That means the staff puts in their own time, literally hundred of hours, for your pleasure.  And when a mistake occurs to the player/victim, suddenly the game's gone to hell!  Suddenly the imms are out to get you!  Bullocks!

I want to add:  It's people like you who make it harder on the staff to give you a second chance.  When someone complains, rants, or make unfounded accusations, I'm less likely to give him a second chance.  I have no doubt that some of the staff feel similarly.
Dost thou love life? Then do not squander time; for that's the stuff life is made of."
Benjamin Franklin  (1706-1790).  Poor Richard's Almanack.

Carnage

• Posting Privileges Revoked
Comments in pinfo
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2002, 03:45:37 PM »
Personally, I'd like to see immortals leave more positive remarks on a player if they do something right.

I understand the whole redemption thing, where a bad player turned good and gets karma. I'm proof of that. But personally, I think that there needs to be more positive feedback left. The only real clue that a player has improved is it's been about four or five months later and they have no complaints on their file.

Just my li'l opinion, anyway.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

John

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2002, 04:44:05 PM »
Dear Guest,

I'm not going to rip into you or your thread. You have a concern that you want to rectify in our beloved game. Despite the fact you have been given outdated information, and mistakes have occured, and I think a longlived character has died on you in the not too distant past. I think you should take a break from Armageddon. Because you've forgotten the most important thing about Armageddon. It's to have fun.

It isn't to max your skills, live the longest, become the most powerful or anything. It's too have to fun. It's too have fun in your characters succeeeding, it's to have fun in your characters failing, it's to have fun in your characters living and to have fun in your characters dying.

Despite the bad things about this post, I'd like to compliment you on the fact you censored out the Immortal. And you have to remember about the old Immortal, they may not have been too happy when they left. Disgruntled Imms aren't the best source of information.

I also ask you not to judge anyone who replied to this thread. They've been hearing a lot of bad things about Imms, all of which is unfounded.

Good luck, and I hope you can come back to Arm a happy player in the future.  :wink:

Glowworm

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2002, 05:25:08 PM »
It's not my intention to bash anyone here, the guest poster or the IMM's.  That being said...

The question is, if these things have happened in the past, what is truely in place to say they arn't happening now? We have a lot of paraniod players out there who might be assuming every fail is an imm lowering their skills, but I don't mean that. My question to the players are, who else is leaving arm or thinking about it for similar reasons?
And my question to the staff is, if this is some sort of trend, what is going to change it?

Asking these sort of questions in a public board seems inflamitory, rather than a productive solution; I can understand your concerns, but I don't think you're really "bringing anything to light".  It *appears* these questions have already been answered to you in a private forum, so what other response from the staff did you expect here?

To answer your question to the players...I have known some players who have quit because of conflicts with the staff(and I think some staff who have left because of conflicts with other staff), but this was mostly limited to the player feeling that their vision/creativity/character was being restricted by the other staff's opinion of what should be happening in the game(on a larger scale, not their skills).

I think the basic premise of IMM and player inherently creates mistrust and conflict within the playerbase.  The players are being watched by ompnipotent invisible beings, regulated in what they can do, and controlled in a way suits the staff's opinion of how the game should be run.  What is important to remember is it's not *your* game, it's the *staff's* game - they are just allowing you to play with them...and I'm perfectly happy to play the game by their rules, because I think that they are mostly fair, because I'm still having fun, and because it's free!!  

If you, Guest, as a player feel that the staff's rules and opinions inhibit your enjoyment of the game to the point where it's no longer worthwhile for you, then I agree that you should quit.  Maybe I'm just ignorant of all the horrible things the staff has done to me and my characters, but I haven't reached that point yet.

Sanvean

• My Website
Brief reply
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2002, 05:43:59 PM »
Carnage wrote:

Personally, I'd like to see immortals leave more positive remarks on a player if they do something right.

I agree. I think some staff members are better about this than others, and Vendyra would be the champion of it. That's a useful takeaway from a thread that does seem (to me, at least) otherwise inflammatory.

Rindan

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2002, 06:17:54 PM »
I actually would like to see more negative remarks. A pat on the back is fine, but it doesn't do much for improvement.

As for the larger issue, it doesn't really surprise me that this has been posted, nor do I have any sort of reaction.  Pick any point in Armageddon's history... hell, pick any point in any MUDs history, and at some point some player is pissed at the staff for some perceived injustice.  If a few hundred people are playing a game, someone is going to not like the way it is being run.

As far as murdering PCs goes, from all that I have seen the killing of a player is a very well regulated thing.  I have never once seen a player get thrown into a no-win situation.  There has always been a way out from my experience.  Further, it seems the the imms go out of there way to avoid whacking people to the point of edging away from realism for playability sake.  If a group of Gith controlled raiders end up taking over that wagon you were riding alone between Luirs and Allanak, I would bet my last ‘sid that unless you do something die, you will live.  You might walk back naked, but you will live.  From all I have seen, they always leave a way out, and it usually has a flashing neon arrow pointing to it.

As to more subtle punishment of players, I am completely for it.  If you power game,  you deserve a good smacking.  It is unfortunate if for whatever reasons the player is never told, but I imagine that is the exception and not the rule.  Tighter enforcement of RP policies are a good thing in my opinion.  The imms generally give plenty of room to breath to newbies, but people who should know better get what they deserve when they get caught.

I strongly disagree with statements that once you are marked as a bad player you are forever stuck with that title.  One of the best RPers I knew started as a complete newbie with his first character.  When he started he was the most stereotypical newbie I had ever seen.  He power gamed, he had no understanding of the games controls, and had the RP skills of a rock.   Despite this, through the interventions of a certain clan he was taken in and lived a very long life (40+ days).  Over that time he developed into an absolutely amazing role player, easily one of the best I had ever seen.  Judging by the things he ended up doing in the later half of his life, it seemed pretty clear to me that the imms were happy to oblige in giving him a hand in his RP when it was requested, despite the fact that he started out completely inept.

I too started out on shaky ground.  When I think back on some of my earlier characters I have to cringe.  I am amazed any imm ever let me back into a clan.  Despite this, imms have never been anything but friendly, and as far as I know have never conspired to harm any of my characters.

So, perhaps you feel it is an epidemic.  I highly doubt it.  At any given time there are players who feel jaded.  It is nothing new to Armageddon or any other MUD out there.  In fact, I would say that considering the brutality of the game the power the imms have, it is amazing that there are not more complaints.  The current staff in my opinion is the best in the time I have played, as they are extremely friendly, very receptive, and go out of there way to avoid inflicting undue pain on the player base.  I think the moral of the story is just not to twink and you won’t get swatted.

Carnage

• Posting Privileges Revoked
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2002, 06:27:08 PM »
I actually would like to see more negative remarks. A pat on the back is fine, but it doesn't do much for improvement.

The comment system has nothing to do with improvement. It's about showing other immortals what a player might and might not play. The fact that you want more bad comments pretty much damages an improved roleplayer and hurts the redemption principle. It's easy to overlook or miss the date on comments. When comparing a sheet of two people to see who has a better reputation with the staff, you could say, "Well, this one has more comments than this one" when the 'worse' one had infractions when he was a newbie four years ago, and the 'better' one merely had several infractions spread out and is still twinking and screwing up to this day.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

Sanvean

• My Website
Actually
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2002, 06:31:22 PM »
Ness put together a web utility where we can look up comments and they are shown in chronological order. I see a lot of comments along the lines of "steady improvement", and I think staff do take that into account.

Brixius

• Legend
Just the facts
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2002, 06:36:23 PM »
There's a difference between a immortal 'comment' and an account/player note (ainfo/pinfo). Comment is a command that imms have specifically for giving feedback to a player. Comments are sent to the player through the MUDs mail system that can be access on the main page. Pinfo is used specifically for notes about a certain character, like 'Graduated Byn training' or 'Killed Alkyone in a well rp-ed assasination'. Ainfos are account notes, more for things like, 'Good player, contributes a lot' or 'Good-intentioned player, but powergames when left alone'. Neither ainfo or pinfo is available to the players directly, though emailing the mud account and requesting your notes happens quite frequently.

Just clearing up a possible misunderstanding.

Brix.

Fedaykin

Re: How I feel about Armageddon...
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2002, 11:35:21 PM »
Quote from: "Anonymous"
My question to the players are, who else is leaving arm or thinking about it for similar reasons?

I've been playing Arm since 95/96, and I'd like to give you some advice that I think could be helpful, something I've learned.

If you feel as you do, and you believe what you do, maybe take some time off.  You don't have to necessarily quit Armageddon forever.  Personally, I've taken two extended breaks from the game, a six month and a one year break.  This was not really because of anything anyone else did, its just that Armageddon can be an intense game and sometimes you need to take a step back, I think.

No matter how bad you may have percieved things to be (I don't want to get into what actually is or isn't true here because its more about your perception), sometime after you've left, you'll begin to remember past characters, great adventures, and the fun you've had RPing.  Then you'll thirst for more of it, like a man with an empty gourd in the Canyons of Waste.  Then you'll either fight the urge to return (haha, yeah right) or you'll return to Zalanthas refreshed and full of new ideas.  You may even return to find things about the world and game have changed, making you feel almost like a newbie stepping into the world for the first time again.

Just remember, while Zalanthas is a detailed, wonderful work of art, a world which damn near seems to live and breathe sometimes, this is still a game.  Try not to get too frustrated or fed up no matter the circumstances (yes, easy to say but not always the easiest to follow, I know).  We, I hope, all play Armageddon for the enjoyment of it.  Lose that, and maybe it is time to go...at least for a little while  :wink:
iva La Resistance!
<Miee> The Helper Death Commando is right.

Ghardoan

Re: How I feel about Armageddon...
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2002, 02:19:52 PM »
"My question to the players are, who else is leaving arm or thinking about it for similar reasons?"

I am thinking about leaving Armageddon MUD for a relatively long break, but I'll be damned if it is because of the same reasons. Someone made a mistake. The immortals have given you their support and have done their best to amend this mistake, and in return, you have publicly spit in their faces. Not cool.

So, with all due respect, go to hell. Have a nice day.

Ghardoan

Anonymous

Feelings...nothing more than feelings...
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2002, 03:08:16 PM »
Adding my (un?)enlightened opinion to this thread, I must say that I've been playing ArmageddonMud since WAY back when, as a newbie twink during the infancy of Arm's 'roleplay uber alles' policy, I used to have my pc whack the same NPC guarding the door to Tuluk's library because the guy was wearing a steel hauberk that I could then take and sell for butt-loads of 'sid.

Those of you who've been around that long know just how far back I'm talking and how much of an idiot I was!   :twisted:

So, like most of us, I was once a complete chimp powergaming and pkilling my way into glorious infamy.  Then, something happened to me.  I decided to treat ArmageddonMud like I do table-top roleplaying.  I got serious about portraying my characters and adding to the storyline of Zalanthas instead of taking from it.

Cutting to the chase, it seems that my disgusting past was fogotten...or at least forgiven in light of my new-found respect for
the storyline of Zalanthas.

I created and played for years a clan pc and was enjoying myself thoroughly.  The game opened up for me and as my respect for Zalanthas and my own roleplay grew, I gained the respect of other players and the staff.

Later on, I joined staff to discover just how fucking HARD the people on staff really work to make ArmageddonMud the greatest online roleplaying experience available.  Some people complain about how staff gets jaded and edgy.  Gods, people, you have to SEE it to believe IT when it comes to the twinkish crap human beings are capable of pulling in this game! We've all heard the most infamous stories, I'm sure.  My favorite is one player who knew about a bug long, long ago that existed in the spice code.  The bug, if abused by using a mud client's repeat action special characters would wrap increase stats and reset them permanently to max.  Well, this player didn't realize the bug had been fixed and when using sniff *100 spice or whatever silly fucking equivalent, gave the PC an overdose and subsequent massive heart attack and DEATH!  I just thought that was hilarious so I had to tell it.  As a staff member I saw people doing stupid shit that STILL boggles my mind.

Then the GDB complaints come rolling in about how staff is insensitive to player wants and needs.  Okay.  Granted that does occur...very infrequently, and even then usually with GOOD reason.

I can interpret the events of MOST of the complaints I hear about the 'meanness' of staff as follows:

Joe Blow twinks out on his first several PCs (getting them killed rather quickly as a result of what would be considered IC chaotic insanity).  Joe is commented heavily by staff at first (after all, Joe is new to ArmageddonMud and needs to know what he's doing wrong).  After a while, with no change in how Joe plays as a result of the comments, staff loses interest in Joe's rehabilitation and simply ignores his play, with the exception of making sure Joe's PCs don't ruin the storyline and game for everyone else.  Skills are no-gained, reset, what-have-you in efforts to this end.  Not out of maliciousness...out of damage control!
Maybe Joe gets temporarily banned from play.

In any case, Joe either quits playing ArmageddonMud (G'bye, Joe!), or his play eventually improves.  In both cases, there is a VERY human tendency to have a 'who cares?' or 'Thank the Fucking Gods!' attitude among the staff who have had to deal with Joe.

If Joe stays and his play improves, there is usually a period of time where staff just doesn't notice, or is updating player info (for staff only comments) with a 'we'll just wait and see if this keeps up' sort of mind-set.  I'm sorry, but I can't blame ANYONE for having such an attitude after the crap I've seen people pull.  More often than not, though, someone on staff will actually comment Joe with 'Kudos!' and 'Good work, keep up the improvement!'.

Well, Joe then sends a request for a special 'karma' character in.  More often than not, staff is willing to give Joe a chance and will either give Joe some trust in the form of karma points, or will approve the special application to see what Joe does with the PC before awarding karma which would let Joe create special PCs on his own without the need for staff intervention.

One of two things happens at this point:

1.  Joe abuses the opportunity he's given and loses the trust he's been building with staff.  After this, Joe either quits playing ArmageddonMud and begins badmouthing staff AND the game every chance he gets, or he vents his frustration and continues playing.  Sometimes, Joe will actually change completely and eventually become a respected player.  More often than not, that just doesn't happen.

2.  Joe uses the opportunity he's given and eventually winds up being trusted to play the most powerful, and thus most karmically protected, races and guilds the mud has to offer.

This may all sound contrite and childish.  Well, yeah.  It is.  In the words of the almightly Shade of Nessalin "If you act like a fucking child, you're going to be treated like a fucking child."

Staff is human.  We're ALL fucking human...well, most of us anyway....some of you lead me to make wild speculations.   :twisted:
We all have our good days and our bad days.  Many of us are so addicted we log in from work and in that often hectic environment sometimes roleplay badly in a rush, or do stupid things we wouldn't ordinarily do when completely focused on the game.

I know first-hand how problems are dealt with on staff and I can assure you that the 'Has it out for me' scenario is 99.9% of the time a myth.  A fable.  An ugly rumor.  Sorta like that one about licking envelopes could cause you to have roaches crawl out of your tongue.

Do I always agree with the decisions staff members make?  Hell NO!  Does ANYONE always agree with anyone else?  Unless you're a butt-licking loser you sure as hell don't!

When it comes down to my opinion vs the opinion of a staff member or staff in general, I have to take a deep breath and remember that these people sacrifice alot of time and alot of effort to make and KEEP ArmageddonMud enjoyable and fair for everyone and not just me.  I spend alot of time and effort as a player too, but that is 'play'.  Sometimes it is difficult to keep perspective, but I have learned to give the benefit of doubt and my time as a staff member and a player here has been enjoyable partially as a result.

naatok

Gah! Login was timed out?! Last post should be by me!
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2002, 03:10:16 PM »
:evil:
-Naatok the Naughty Monkey

My state of mind an inferno. This mind, which cannot comprehend. A torment to my conscience,
my objectives lost in frozen shades. Engraved, the scars of time, yet never healed.  But still, the spark of hope does never rest.

Frog Fairy

• Legend
    • http://bjerre.se
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2002, 09:57:40 AM »
One thing you could look at, if you consider quitting because of claimed immortal corruption, is how many ex-staffers that still enjoy playing the game. If the staff was really that rotten, the people who'd seen it up close hardly would give the game their time of day, right?