Author Topic: How do -you- roleplay a broken arm, or other bone?  (Read 5037 times)

Ouch . . .

How do -you- roleplay a broken arm, or other bone?
« on: November 09, 2004, 02:14:07 PM »
Just that, assume you've decided that your character has broken a bone fore whatever reason, or one of your characters. How would you go about roleplaying it out?

Cheers!

Tamarin

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2004, 02:27:08 PM »
I limp a lot and yell at people.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

sarahjc

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2004, 02:46:57 PM »
Hrm.. I've never actually emoted a broken bone. I suppose you could emote a splint or sling object of some kind. And maybe a makeshift crutch

Be interesting to see in game, as I have never actually seen a person emote out a broken bone either.

I think I will submit a splint object
Quote from: jmordetsky
Sarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant
"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."

Spud

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2004, 02:58:12 PM »
I'm pretty sure there is a splint object.
Quote from: Saikun
I can tell you for sure it won't be tonight. So no point in poking at it all night long. I'd suggest sleep, or failing that, take to the streets and wreak havoc.

sarahjc

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2004, 03:04:06 PM »
You're not better than me Spud!

:D
Quote from: jmordetsky
Sarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant
"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."

Hicksville Hoochie

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2004, 03:13:46 PM »
Broken bones/concussions/stitched up gashes are fun to emote with, so long as you're either independent...

Or your PC clan superiors go along with it, instead of ignoring that for the codedly 'no broken bones' thing and send you to your death because you refuse to break character in lieu of the code... </bitterness> lol.

If a splint object can't be found, wear a bandage over the broken area, emoted it as being a splint of the sorts in your actions. Unless your character's a masochist, use a lot of pain, seeing as how pain killers aren't exactly -too- common. Unless you're not in Allanak, and then some spices could dull the pain.

Feel free to curse people, VNPCs NPCs PCs, who might bump into you in that crowded tavern, get some conflict started.  :wink:  If it's a broken arm, strip and fall on it, and proceed to roll around in the street screaming and cursing up  a sandstorm!

jhunter

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2004, 03:20:22 PM »
Yeah, what Hoochie said. I've seen -all- kinds of injuries played out in game. Broken bones, concussions, lacerations, burns, loss of limbs and such. Just have your pc do what you'd do in RL, minus the cast and modern surgery of course.

Spoon

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2004, 03:25:14 PM »
It depends how broken you're roleplaying it, too.

For example, if its got like.... bones sticking out and all that, you'd want to get someone else to apply the splint. Could generate some cool RP. Even if someone just kicks you in the arm and steals your wallet.

Ayashah

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2004, 04:00:52 PM »
I had a pc fall 4 rooms off a cliff and lived. She was laid up for an IC month healing after a mage was brought to 'heal' her as best they could. Just because the hps healed doesnt mean everything went together right sooooo, permanent limp for the rest of her life. (imm sent to me she would) She had to use a cane for a long time. Which was quite a cool twist as she loved to dance and couldnt afterwards. Made new things open up once she got over the depression.
 staff member sends:
     "The mind you are trying to reach is disconnected or no longer in service.
If you feel you have reached this recording in error... trust us. We know. = message A-16"

Armaddict

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2004, 04:14:57 PM »
Kind of a derailment, but I've always wondered...just -how- efficient of healing is magick healing?
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Larrath

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2004, 04:40:31 PM »
Every spell in the game is made up from five parts, the first one being the Power of the spell.
Seven levels exist, and I'd assume that a healing spell casted at Wek will be significantly weaker than a healing spell casted at Mon.

Just about any information past that, I'm afraid, is IC-sensitive and should be found out in-game.
Quote from: Vesperas
...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Armaddict

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2004, 04:43:05 PM »
This is to facilitate role-play.  I know about the different powers.  But you cannot tell, and usually aren't told 'I cast it at the highest power, you're absolutely healed'.

So, as a general basis, should you role-play the physical pain being gone, etc, or what?
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Larrath

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2004, 04:53:08 PM »
Even though this is not hard-coded, I think that the question "can healing spells mend broken bones and/or regrow limbs?" is still IC information.

Personally, I imagine healing spells as just instantly mending the damage itself, but not calming the piss-off nerve endings.  Maybe they dilute the pain a little, but unless you were healed by a healing spell by someone like, say, Tektolnes, I'd say you're still going to be in pain if it was a serious injury.

Then again, maybe they can use a lesser, virtual spell (or even a cantrip) to get rid of the pain.
Quote from: Vesperas
...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2004, 09:07:34 PM »
Booze. And plenty of it.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
You find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
A staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

Ayashah

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2004, 09:48:00 PM »
I think it depends on the severity of the injury. Its not an instant heal all even at the highest power if the injury was severe enough. I say that because though the mage COMPLETELY healed my hps, the players rp'd straightening my limbs, etc, my pc was permanently injured by the injury. Granted, her bones were probably shattered and to live through it, much less only end up with a limp shows that the healing of a powerful mage is pretty potent.
 staff member sends:
     "The mind you are trying to reach is disconnected or no longer in service.
If you feel you have reached this recording in error... trust us. We know. = message A-16"

Delirium

• Helper
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2004, 10:00:36 PM »
Yeah, I think it would be a case by case basis, just have to use a little common sense and guesswork. HOW you got the fracture or to negative hp would be important.

If you took multiple shallow slashes with a bad gash or two, I bet you're still going to be sore and woozy for a day or so after being magickally poofed all better, but you probably passed out from blood loss more than anything else.

Now, if you fell from a three story building and suffered multiple fractures and landed on midden heap full of sharp pieces of glass, I imagine you would be much worse off, even after being magickally healed...

And as for RPing broken bones - booze and spice all the way. Having it splinted up and bandaged is part of the fun. If you have buddies, you could make them carry you everywhere, too. Or hobble around acting grouchy. Be stolid and bear the pain in silence, or complain all the time until everyone's sick of you. Whatever. ;)
"Our whole lives are just stories." - Vikings

you've seen more than they could ever know
no matter what they say, you've earned the right to be so bold

My 2 sids

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2004, 12:41:36 AM »
Once you have a bandage around the area, you can always change your ldesc to reflect having an splint.

the XXXX man stands here, arm in a sling
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>