Idea: Self Emote

Started by John, December 13, 2002, 04:07:00 AM

In a sentence here's my idea "make it so you can emote to yourself and it will only echo to you and not everyone else". Here's my reasoning behind it.

I find that my characters think a lot, mainly because I think a lot. And I love this command because it let's me get into my character better. Now I'm finding that I wish I could somehow convey certain things e.g. my mind becoming fluttered, my heart starting to race, feeling a knot in my stomach, etc. So I thought a self emote (something that only echo's to you like the think command) would be good, it would encourage people to emote more, let them get into their characters better and provide a way to emote all those things that you can't right now. It'd also allow hidden characters to emote.

Here are a few examples of some emotes it'd be used for:

Your heart starts to race as you remember the other day when you saw that hot stripper in the 'rinth.

Your stomach twists itself into a knot as you consider jumping over the cliff
    think Should I jump, should I not jump?

(When hidden) You silently follow a crowd of Bynners on their way into the Byn compound, before slinking off into the barracks, keeping close to the shadows

Your mind races at a million miles an hour, making it impossible for you to think

Now at the moment, people are forced too "think *silently moves under the desk*"
While it works, it's a messy way to do it.

All just IMO.

The physical sensations that occur when something unusual happens, I can understand you wanting to experience. But your character wouldn't consciously make them happen, so why would you want to type it out?

Why not just think your feelings about what's happening, without "emoting" the thought at all?

(While remembering that hot stripper in the 'rinth)

think Oh my, there goes my heart again, and that stripper WAS hot, wasn't she?

(While silently following the Bynners, staying close to the shadows)

think Hah, I bet they'll never noticed I'm even here! Now I just gotta step over to that little corner while they stop to talk about their weapons...

etc. etc.

Hmm... I'd say a "self emote" isn't needed, but an emote that runs of the hide/scan stuff is needed.

If your hiding and your emoting, there might be a chance that people that are actively paying attention might see you, because... OH, emoting tends to be some forms of movements.

Now if you want to do small movements that wouldn't really be seen. Like furrowed brow in thought, you can probably just go on about thinking with the think command.

But maybe your hidding thief needs to scratch himself, the fellow over then guarding the noble and keeping a watch on the room might catch the movement.

Trust me, it's needed!

Creeper who basically agrees with Besette(Was it her? And did I spell it right?) that you can just use thoughts for alot of "self emotes" that you could think of, it wouldn't be the "self emote" itself in the think command, but maybe a think command thinking about whats going on and why? Like Besette(Sp? Don't want to scroll) said.
21sters Unite!

What's interesting about this idea is the counterpart idea that someone might "watch you" to see your emotes.  (saving the room from the spam, but allowing you two to potentially share some signals, or your watcher to observe your personal habits)....  It would be too cool to be able to sit there fidgeting, or engaging in some strange personal behavior that might be too subtle to be seen in a crowded tavern, but could be observed by someone openly staring at you....

Okay, I agree with everyone, just an idea.

I don't like Krelin's idea because I think people should emote those anyway, and people just don't notice if they shouldn't. Have you ever watched someone when they don't think you are? They do -a lot- of things that they probably don't even realise and I'd love for people to do these things in Arm for everyone to watch.

Okay, I agree with everyone.  Except John.  ;)

I don't need to be in a tavern watching everyone fidget.  As much texture as that might add to the game, it would also add a huge amount of spam.  In a busy night at the 'Gaj, or at the Sanctuary, I've seen as many as 10-20 people all emoting, chatting, moving, eating, drinking, muddling with their gear, going AFK, oocing, etc.  It's a lot of scroll.  I think having "controlled radius" emotes would be cool.  "emote to table", "emote to room", "emote to self" might be enough.  Then allow people conditions in which to see other people's controlled emotes (and maybe find out who's looking at them?)

Bah, it was a busy night, it should be confusing.

Bustling bar with people shouting, drinking, fighting, drinking, laughing, drinking, scratching etc.

As opposed to a few regulars sitting around drinking, moping and drinking.

I personally like the idea.  I could see it being useful for RPing things such as listen skill... like when no one should *know* your listening.

The other thing is... in real life we do have these things.  I mean i dont think to myself im getting worried or i feel happy, but i do know them.

As for the other comments... one, i doupt these people spend a lot of time soloplaying (some of us who must soloplay because of IC happings need all the help we can get to build up our RP skills instead of sitting around doing nothing) and two... i dont understand what spaming issues it would cause if only you (the player) and maybe an IMM would see the emote.