Author Topic: Smoking spice and reacting accordingly  (Read 32656 times)

Anonymous Spicehead

Smoking spice and reacting accordingly
« on: October 01, 2004, 08:25:21 PM »
While the majority of people do a very good job at roleplaying out the effects spice has on them, I've noticed that there have been people who don't seem to pay attention to the coded echoes that smoking spice gives.

For example, smoking zharal is not going to make a person relaxed and giggly.  Spice is not marijuana, people!  Each type of spice has a different effect or effects, and those effects should be roleplayed out according to what the coded effects are.  It's not that difficult to figure out.

Angela Christine

Re: Smoking spice and reacting accordingly
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2004, 10:25:14 PM »
Part of the problem may be that there is no persistant indication of what affect you are experiencing, and no indication of how strong it is.  A single puff off a smoke shouldn't give you the same intensity as snorting a whole knot, but for most spices there is no indication of how strong the effect is.  It isn't as big an issue with spices that have an obvious stat affect, but even there I could use more feedback.  Sometimes you can stay affected by spice for a really long time if you keep logging in and out.  Sometimes there is screen scroll that eats the transition message from the "good" effect to the "bad" effect.

Through all that, the only thing the code tells me is that I am affected by spice.  It doesn't tell me what spice, what effect, or how strong.  

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

mansa

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2004, 10:56:10 PM »
Well, yes, there's a problem with the code and telling you what you're experiencing.  

The code lets you have your 'high' - then you have your 'low' - and then you settle back up to your normal feeling, but all the time it will just say that you're affected by spice, and that's it.

The code is very, ambigious, in order to promote the largest creative sense possible.  When it gives you a message, 'You feel elated' and 'You feel aggressive', you can choose to be stoned out of your mind and sexually aroused, or tired and physically pushing people around and angry.

The original poster is making reference for when people get a coded message that spice gives you, and acting contrary to what it is, and how people -should- act like what they are told.

When you feel elated, you're relaxed, and almost stoned.  You're not aggressive.  When you feel aggressive, you're active and perhaps, sexually aroused, and you're not elated.

Learn more about your spices from your local Kuraci dealer, and dictionary.com!
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Bestatte

• Posting Privileges Revoked
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2004, 12:11:45 AM »
SO, when you're feeling elated AND aggressive because you just smoked one of each...

Does it mean you're SO happy that you wanna go out and kill stuff? Or that you're so angry that you get giddy? Or do the two cancel each other out and you feel nothing unusual?

Or maybe - you're feeling really aggressive but are too stoned to do anything about it..

Or you're feeling really stoned but you twitch from the aggression..

Oh the possibilities.

sjanimal

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2004, 12:34:57 AM »
Dear Spice smoker,

While I feel that drugs can have different effects on different people, I for one will certainly try to role-play spice effects more strictly with coded descriptions, if it will help your enjoyment of the game.

Yours,
sjanimal
'm helpful to noobs, ask me questions, totally noob friendly.

"Mail mud@ginka.armageddon.org if you think you've crashed the game."

--Nessalin

Marc

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2004, 12:35:10 AM »
Quote from: "BeStaTTe"
SO, when you're feeling elated AND aggressive because you just smoked one of each...

This can be refered to as cocktailing.  Maybe a couple combo's would cancel each other out but chances are you just get really f*&^ed up.
Quote from: Zhaira
I don't really have a problem with drugs OR sex
Quote from: Mansa
Marc's got the best advice.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
If getting loaded and screwing is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

Anonymous Spicehead

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2004, 01:16:57 PM »
Quote from: "sjanimal"
Dear Spice smoker,

While I feel that drugs can have different effects on different people, I for one will certainly try to role-play spice effects more strictly with coded descriptions, if it will help your enjoyment of the game.

Yours,
sjanimal

Armageddon is not the real world.  Pay attention to the echoes.

Armaddict

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2004, 05:33:39 PM »
Hey.

Not everyone acts the same on drugs.  Not everyone will act the same on spice.  Don't be a druggy-role-play police.  Some characters will not act the same way as yours, nor the way you expect them to.

Deal with it, bucko.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Anonymous

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2004, 06:29:19 PM »
Quote from: "Armaddict"
Hey.

Not everyone acts the same on drugs.  Not everyone will act the same on spice.  Don't be a druggy-role-play police.  Some characters will not act the same way as yours, nor the way you expect them to.

Deal with it, bucko.

This isn't my argument and I'm not all that wound up about it at all, but the code is pretty specific as to how you feel under the influence of the different spices.  What makes you think your real world pot experiences apply?

Marc

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2004, 06:36:24 PM »
Sorry CRW, but can't say I agree with you there.  The mud is NOT very specific on how you feel.  One generic feeling when you injest and one when you're coming down.  As someone mentioned earlier (Robo-Mansa) it gives you the player as much room as possible for your own interpretations.  If it says you feel elated react how YOUR CHARACTER would react and f&#% everyone else :-)

If you don't think that is how it should be handled (player interpretation) I'd suggest mailing the mud account with some new echo submissions for spice use.  Round out the messages and everyone will act more uniformly.
Quote from: Zhaira
I don't really have a problem with drugs OR sex
Quote from: Mansa
Marc's got the best advice.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
If getting loaded and screwing is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

mansa

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2004, 06:57:19 PM »
The real argument is people NOT playing elated and people NOT playing aggressive.  It's the people who smoke spice, where the echo is 'elated' and then you role-play feeling NOT elated, where you are aggressive and paranoid and angry.

At least, that's what I've gathered.  There are different intrepretations of 'elated' and 'aggressive', and we're definitely free to intrepret them in any way for our character, but don't play the contrary to what the code tells you what your character are feeling.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Anonymous Spicehead

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2004, 07:04:16 PM »
What I am trying to say, as some people have understood and some people haven't, is that people should have their characters react according to the echo given by smoking the spice.  If the echo says your heart is racing and you feel extremely energetic, then you should act accordingly.  If the echo says that you feel elated, you should not sit around all depressed and mopy.  If it says you feel aggressive, you should not sit there and giggle at everything.  I am not trying to say that everyone who feels extremely energetic should run laps around the city, or when elated jump for joy, or when aggressive go and punch holes in the wall.  I am saying that you should use common sense.  The echoes give sufficient information for how you should be making your character act.  Acting the opposite of what the effects would make a person is just bad roleplay.

Malifaxis

• Thoughts of the Sixth Age
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2004, 07:36:44 PM »
Armageddon is not the real world. Pay attention to the echoes.

Yeah, terrific.  I seriously doubt that under any circumstance there is one thing that will affect everyone the same way.  That spiced kank antennae would give person X bad breath, and person Y bad gas.  Ale will quickly get person X drunk, while person Y needs twelve mugs to even feel tipsy.  The same stands for spice... CHEMICALS which activate and change the normal biorythm of the imbiber.

CRW:
What makes you think your real world pot experiences apply?

And what makes you think they wouldn't?  It's a more reliable source of information than "You feel elated."  "You feel elated" is pretty fucking vague.  There's a whole realm of different kinds of elation.  Some people are elated when they are happy and can't move... but another person could very easily feel elated, not be able to move effectively, and as a result get VERY pissed off about the fact that they can not act with coordination.

Just because the code says I feel agressive does not mean I'm going to leap across the table and begin gnawing on a barwench... just like when it says I kick someone's face in that it is MY choice whether I wanted my foot up there, or if I would rather deliver a quick headbutt.

I am my PC's keeper.  I remain the best judge of how they react to certain inebriants and occurances.  As do we all.  If you don't like how someone else plays a druggy, then go find someone else who immediately pulls an axe when they get a whiff of Zharal.  Enjoy.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Stop being shitty to each other.

Malifaxis

• Thoughts of the Sixth Age
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2004, 07:39:24 PM »
Just for the record, I do agree that someone who smokes a phat spliff of damn zharal SHOULD feel in some way aggro, and should react accordingly, but it may very easily not be in a way you would recognize.

Maybe the reason they are sitting there giggling is because they're running through different scenarios of how to kill everyone in the bar, and it's amusing them greatly.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Stop being shitty to each other.

Anonymous

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2004, 09:20:41 AM »
Quote from: "Malifaxis"
Quote from: "CRW"
What makes you think your real world pot experiences apply?

And what makes you think they wouldn't?  It's a more reliable source of information than "You feel elated."  "You feel elated" is pretty fucking vague.

Drugs in the real world and spice in Armageddon are not the same, so I don't see how you can consider them a more reliable source of information.  My spectator's understanding is that real world drugs can have pretty drastically different effects on people.  Not everyone gets lazy and happy on pot, not everyone gets a red nose and a cheerful smile from alcohol.  I've never read or seen that your reaction to spice is completely up to the player.

You feel elated might be somewhat vague, but it is clear enough to indicate that you shouldn't emote getting pissed off and easily agitated.  Within degrees, sure.  But you are still, ultimately, happy or aggressive or whatever the effect is.  Maybe one person will be jumping up the walls aggressive, and maybe someone else will be dirty-look aggressive, I don't know and I don't care.

To me the point is that if the code tells you 'You feel aggressive' that it's pretty presumptuous of you to just decide that instead of being aggressive, you are going to arbitrarily decide that this spice makes you feel relaxed and chilled out.

There's a whole realm of different kinds of elation.  Some people are elated when they are happy and can't move... but another person could very easily feel elated, not be able to move effectively, and as a result get VERY pissed off about the fact that they can not act with coordination.

That's weak.  There's nothing that says you lose coordination when you are elated.  The point is the code clearly indicates that if you smoke this certain type of stuff you become happy or whatever the indicator is.

Just because the code says I feel agressive does not mean I'm going to leap across the table and begin gnawing on a barwench... just like when it says I kick someone's face in that it is MY choice whether I wanted my foot up there, or if I would rather deliver a quick headbutt.

I am my PC's keeper.  I remain the best judge of how they react to certain inebriants and occurances.  As do we all.

No agrument here.  But you are talking apples and oranges.  Treating 'kick' as a general strike is completely different than treating a spice that makes you aggressive as one that makes you relax.

A better comparison would be to say that you are going to emote smiling happily and being healed when that mage casts a fireball at you.

If you don't like how someone else plays a druggy, then go find someone else who immediately pulls an axe when they get a whiff of Zharal.  Enjoy.

Oh god.  If I don't like the politics in America should I get out too?  Relax, smoke some Zharal, dude.

I'm just saying that acting in a way that is completely contrary to what the code is telling you is stupid.  Within degrees is fine, but the original poster's reference wasn't regarding people not acting aggressive enough or not acting relaxed enough, but, again, opposite of how they should.

But rather than have a civilized discussion, let's turn this into another episode of 'Oh My God, The Roleplay Police Are After Us!', since that's way more constructive.

Angela Christine

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2004, 06:45:25 PM »
While I agree that the effect from the spice should be in-line with what the code says the effect is, there can also be other elements in play.

:arrow: As others have mentioned, your personal body chemistry will influence how "elated" "agressive" or "in tune with the elements" manifests.

:arrow: The doasage should also be a factor.  You won't get completely toasted on a single grain, that would take at least a pinch for most people, I think.  A grain might make you just a little elated, or a little agressive.  Snorting a whole knot at once ought to make you VERY elated or VERY agressive.

:arrow: Pre-spice mood.  If you were warm and sleepy before you snorted a little "agressive" spice, you might still be warm and sleepy enough that you just become a little grumbly.  If you were severly agitated and angry so you took some "mellow" spice to calm down, you might not get as mellow as a person who was calm before they took the spice.

So someone who was giggly before they took a single grain of non-giggly spice might wind up somewhere between giggly and agressive.  It could happen.  But someone who was nuetral before they took agressive spice shouldn't become giggly and mellow, that would be weird.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Armaddict

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2004, 10:31:25 PM »
Spice and drugs are completely different.  Ooookay.  But hell, at least people use them the same way.  At least we made pipes to smoke them.  At least we snort them.  Shit, they're in no way similar.  Not as if a lot of people use them for -entertainment- or -anesthesia- or anything.  I don't know where -I-  was coming from.

Point is...'dopy and depressed' is how you described the people who were role-playing 'elated' wrong?  I could be wrong?  I would take it that's the way you see 'stoned' people acting.  Sometimes.  Not all the time.  Yes, well...-I- would call that 'dopy and depressed' feeling...'elated'.  That's right.  I feel -elated- when I smoke pot.

Everyone will interpret their own personal meanings of the spice messages.  If you want everyone who feels 'elated' to be all hop-skippy, bunny-loving smiling asses, then you're going to be disappointed.

The same with the other messages.  An 'aggressive' person doesn't necessarily wish bodily harm to anyone else.  One might smoke 'aggressive spice' right before playing some Kruth.  They might do it before going into political negotiations.  You're thinking of all these spice messages in an incredibly narrow-minded way.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Cenghiz

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2004, 08:34:47 AM »
I'm sorry... I'm too tired to read all... But; sniff self may give you an idea about what you smoked, what the 'spiced' word in your stats mean. I hope I didn't just repeat someone.
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

Anonymous

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2004, 11:00:32 AM »
Quote from: "Armaddict"
Point is...'dopy and depressed' is how you described the people who were role-playing 'elated' wrong?  I could be wrong?  I would take it that's the way you see 'stoned' people acting.  Sometimes.  Not all the time.  Yes, well...-I- would call that 'dopy and depressed' feeling...'elated'.  That's right.  I feel -elated- when I smoke pot.

If you are responding to me I don't know where you are getting this from.

There are a range of responses that I consider appropriate to a spice that makes you feel elated or aggressive.  Just not the opposite reaction.  Puffing on Zharal and acting all chilled out is just plain silly and is obviously the result of someone wanting to treat every roll of spice like a big fat joint.

As for looking at it in a narrow-minded way, hows about you reread my posts.  It just comes down to acting completely opposite of how the spice is supposed to make you feel is cheesy.  Spice that winds you up shouldn't result in you acting like you joke toked a big fat bowl.

Agent_137

• a crapy clawn
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2004, 12:39:14 PM »
Elated has a pretty narrow definition, actually.

Everyone know's that there's an online dictionary, right?

www.dictionary.com

e·late
tr.v. e·lat·ed, e·lat·ing, e·lates
To make proud or joyful: Her success elated the family.

adj.
Elated.

Delirium

• Helper
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2004, 02:25:47 PM »
Okay, I see a few main points being made here..

-> Different spices have different base effects on people. Agitation, relaxation, alertness, and so on.

-> The strength of the effect on the person depends on how much they smoke and their mood beforehand.

-> The messages are fairly broad, but should be adhered to in some fashion to keep your character's reaction within the realm of believability.

Okay, so what's the problem?

A very angry person might smoke some spice to feel "euphoric" and still be somewhat on edge, but much calmer. An already easygoing person in a good mood might smoke some spice to feel "euphoric" and walk around with a big, stupid grin plastered on their face and try to hug strangers. Not everyone is going to react the same, but I don't think anyone in this thread is arguing the fact that the messages should be taken into account and used when deciding how to roleplay the effects. Just that the effects WILL vary within their set range, since our characters are unique, not cookie-cutter representations.

As for me, I like to assume that everyone around me is the best RPer I've ever met, and just roll with things as they happen. You'd be suprised how little I end up running into things I can't smooth over.

Now everybody go smoke up a fat one and chill already.
"Our whole lives are just stories." - Vikings

Armaddict

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2004, 02:58:20 PM »
You didn't read mine very well either.  There is no spice that makes you feel -angry-.

Aggressive and angry are two different things.  Read the kruth example.  He can be -very- aggressive, but still be a damn likeable person.  Just very aggressive in his actions.  Never does it say he wants to kill everyone around him.

As to the elation definition one, you left out something.  "Exaltation."  I won't copy and paste, but the second definition is this:  a state or feeling of intense, often excessive exhilaration or well-being.

Thus, that -is- the way I feel when I am high.  That doesn't mean I'm gasping and orgasming in my pants.  That means I feel good about where I am, what I'm doing.  I'm not likely to move.  I'm feeling good, I'm feeling 'well-off'.

You can play it however you want, but playing it like a stoner isn't out of the question.  I simply go back to my previous statements...the messages are very -broad- and allow a large amount of different rp, which will vary from player to player, and the only problem is that you are viewing their roleplay with spice with a narrow interpretation of what spice roleplay can be.

Ayashah

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2004, 03:07:49 PM »
Just to toss my 2 sids in on spice. I know most think that Zharal, making a woman aggressive, means she's instantly sexually turned on. Though that MIGHT be the case, depending on pre-mood or what goes on after smoking said spice, that is no always how I, personally, play it.

Someone pointed out aggressive can be many different things. Someone that might not take chances could all of a sudden try to get this job the wanted on that spice, etc. I have played a pc in the mood from that spice and a lot wilder than she had been with her bf then she got instantly furious when this other guy strolled into the scene and try to get a grope in. If I remember right, she tried to bite his hand off. (This was a LONG LONG time ago, so I figure it's safe to speak about in reference)

I think, as others have said, that the coded messages give you a 'feel' as to how to rp reaction to the spice. I also think that the longer one 'does' the spice, even though they get the same message, that they should start building up a tolerance and need MORE of the drug to have the same effect. Everyone and every situation is not the same.
 staff member sends:
     "The mind you are trying to reach is disconnected or no longer in service.
If you feel you have reached this recording in error... trust us. We know. = message A-16"

Scarborough

feeling and acting
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2004, 03:06:33 AM »
You -feel- elated.  You -feel- aggressive.

All this debate over a feeling?  It's a FEELING, it's internal, it's in a characters head.  Whether or not a character ACTS on that feeling is another story.   For those of you who feel that a character should always act out the FEELING, consider whether you've ever exercised RESTRAINT in real life.  There was a comment about not comparing RL pot/drug reactions to game drugs... good point.   But I can easily compare real life feelings vs. action or restraint to game feelings/action/restraint and act however I want and my RP would be perfectly ICly logical.   Unless of course the "high" message is "you feel a lack of restraint."  *chuckles*
es, Narnia, the film that teaches kids that Jesus is a lion that kills people by biting them in the face...

Anonymous

Re: feeling and acting
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2004, 11:53:21 AM »
Quote from: "Scarborough"
All this debate over a feeling?  It's a FEELING, it's internal, it's in a characters head.  Whether or not a character ACTS on that feeling is another story.   For those of you who feel that a character should always act out the FEELING, consider whether you've ever exercised RESTRAINT in real life.  There was a comment about not comparing RL pot/drug reactions to game drugs... good point.   But I can easily compare real life feelings vs. action or restraint to game feelings/action/restraint and act however I want and my RP would be perfectly ICly logical.   Unless of course the "high" message is "you feel a lack of restraint."  *chuckles*

So what you are saying is that people who smoke aggros and then act like they are high on pot are doing it becuase they are tremendous actors who, through the might of subtlety, have ulterior motives and, at the crucial moment, will spring from their seat, take hold of their blade and shout, triumphantly -

"HAHA!  I was not smoking Thodeliv but aggros, the advantage is mine, have at you!"

Because, honestly, I think people who treat all spice like marijuana aren't acting that way because they have a compelling IC reason to hide how it makes them feel.  It's just cooler to smoke a big fat bowl.

WarriorPoet

« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2004, 01:20:48 PM »
I think reaction to a drug should be based on the character in question. You can use the coded echo to give you a starting point as to what the drug might make you feel, but it's up to you, the player, to decide exactly how crazy that little puff of smoke or snort up the nose might get you.

IRL I've done my fair share of drugs and seen alot of people do alot of them and if I've learned anything it's that you can never be quite sure how a particular person will act to a particular 'high'.

I've seen people snort a small line of coke and flip out, jabbering like an idiot and twitching and grinding their teeth. This is the generally accepted reaction to coke. It makes you skitz. However, when I do a bit it makes me feel gooey and relaxed. I don't like to talk, I don't like to grind my teeth, I only like to sit and watch, mebbe smoke a few cigarettes quietly.

Most people I've seen who smoke a hooter get lazy and smily, kinda goofy. I've seen people get melancholy or giggly-happy. I, on the other hand, do not fit into the stereotypical 'pothead' mold. I like to get high and read my book or write a story over at NS, or if I'm feeling particularly energetic, to work out a bit. I've been getting high regularly for almost ten years and I can honesly say that not one single time in this time have I slapped on a stupid, hazy-eyed goofy ass grin and wandered off, mumbling about the killer new emo tunez I just heard or looking for cupcakes. I just don't fit into the mold and I never will and I refuse to believe that any of you, save for possibly staff, or a vague echo sets the tone for my character's spice induced episodes. They may give a starting point, but *I* decide where it goes from there.

I could go on, but I won't. Broad generalizations about 'that pot-head' or 'this rinth-rat spice-fiend' don't float, RL or Zalanthas.

Scowling fiercely up at the blazed-out, hairy-backed human man that perches on the bartop, the uncomprimising, hard-ass Nakki templar says, in sirihish:
                "NO MUTHAFUCKA! You won't be drawn and quartered for smoking spice, it's not smoking spice the "RIGHT WAY" that you will be punished for. Prepare yourself for the Fury of the Highlord!"

Covering his bare crotch with one hand while waving his spice-pipe in the other, the blazed-out, furry-backed human man says, in sirihish:
                 "Damn! I knew I should have acted 'euphoric'. Damn it all! Now I will pay the ultimate price..."
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Anonymous

not quite
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2004, 01:27:20 PM »
No, what I'm saying is that a reason for people smoking aggrevative spice then acting non-agressive could be that they are roleplaying exercising mental control, consciously supressing the aggrevation and not acting on it.  They are perhaps internally feeling aggression, but are just not physically acting on it because they have a higher level of control.  

Real life example, good friend of mine: man drinks, he -feels- angry aggression (a common side effect -- mean drunk), but as he hasn't had a great deal to drink yet, and recognizes the feeling, so he exerts a conscious effort to not act on the aggressive -feelings- and make an ass of himself in front of his girlfriend.  He made the choice while his senses were still only moderately impaired and slowed down his intake that night.

A mind can overpower the body if a person is focused.  This is my defense of contradictive roleplay when it comes to spice and the game-generated messages.  Now, if MY character were to smoke spice, I couldn't supress the feelings because my character has little control over her feelings in general.. she's meant to be emotional.   I would follow the game generated suggested feelings.

So, following the "high" messages or contradicting them-- either way could be ICly correct if you take into consideration self control, and conscious supression of feelings.

Scarborough

whoops
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2004, 01:29:30 PM »
*points up*  That last post was me.  Didn't see I wasn't logged in.  :)
es, Narnia, the film that teaches kids that Jesus is a lion that kills people by biting them in the face...

Armaddict

« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2004, 01:44:49 PM »
You're still thinking of aggression as 'offensiveness'.

Being aggressive does -not- mean you're suddenly a mean motherfucker.  Sure, for one person it might.  But another -could- be a giggly little guy, who is now much more aggressive at hitting at that woman to his right.  He is also now more aggressive with his alchohol consumption, drinking faster and more than he used to.

I'm not saying I role-play every spice as similar to pot.  I'm just taking -your- example and saying...it can make sense, sometimes.  The game gives you -one- effect of smoking the spice.  Who's to say it won't have side effects on someone?  What about a placebo effect?  Sure, they might not -really- be fucked up in the head, but they might not know that.  They can start acting stupid and high as hell, even though the spice had nothing to do with it.

People who are looking for one -specific- reaction to each kind of spice are going to get sorely disappointed.

Agent_137

• a crapy clawn
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2004, 01:52:37 PM »
Gee . . . i always figured that the spice made me feel a certain way. Since, you know, it SAYS that.

And then, I as the player am obligated to translate that feeling to actions, which would differ from situation to situation, and character to character.

But if you say that you -feel- something different than what the CODE tells you is true . . . you're fucking nuts. That's like getting dropped to 1/10 your hp and saying, "it's just a flesh wound!"

sarahjc

« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2004, 01:55:06 PM »
Yeah, but I think that we are going over the exception thing here. Also I don't know how subtle spice is.. Some are. Some aren't.

I will use a couple modern day examples and a Zalanthian example or two:

I buy an 8 ball of Coke.  I then use all of it.  I may be doing my best to try and not show the fact that I am high as a kite, but as I grind my teeth uncontrollably and involuntarily talk at the speed of light, It's kind of hard. In fact I may even think that I am doing a good job of these things, but really, I am far from fucking normal to other people.

Now, lets take the alcohol example. I would say that trying not to attack or yell at your significant other while drunk is not that hard a task, cause that is more of a mental thing. But.. Driving lets say.. Ok. A lot of people, some of which I know sadly have said.. I drive better when I have been drinking, cause I am more careful.  You may drive consciously slower when you drink, but your reflexes are shit.  A guy comes plowing don’t the road and blows a stop sign, you probably aren't going to notice in time to do anything about it.

You may not fight with the GF that night, but you are drunk and people can tell.

Why I bring up these points.. They are involuntary physical reactions to drugs. You cannot hide them. You can try, and you may think you are doing a good job, but most likely, you are not.

It's like that guy with the red slanty eyes that says really slowly.. "What?? I'm not stoned.." and then laughs.

Now On Zalanthas, we have spices that make you aggressive, placid, focused, elated.. All these have an behavioral side effect, as well as physical ones as soon as you smoke them. They are the coded effects of what you should expect to feel. Now yes.. some people my have an adverse effect, some people may even have a tolerance to them. But they will feel something.

Lets face is, nobody on Zalanthas is gonna waste a ton of money just to pretend they are -not- high. Life on that planet is too short and price is too high.

But here is what I would really like to see.  I would really like the spice code to be more like the drinking code, were.. over time, it takes a lot more shit to get you high..  While your tolerance goes up your high should go down.. but also, your coded addiction is now on the rise. I think we would get a lot more realistic junkies.
Quote from: jmordetsky
Sarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant
"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."

Armaddict

« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2004, 01:57:17 PM »
Hmm.  What's a way to explain this.

Okay, it says you feel elated, or whatever.  That's the word for the 'high'.  That doesn't necessarily mean it's -all- you feel...other feelings can be associated with that feeling.  Either as a result, or even the feeling it 'tells' you that you feel as a result of a physical feeling passed on.  Once again, it's all coming down to incredible narrow-mindedness in the interpretation of the messages coming to you from the game.

And even if this gets clarified by the creator or moderator of 'bad spicehead role-play' from staff...I believe you skipped over the placebo effect.  It all depends on role-play, bud.

Depending on what the character -expects- to get out of the spice, there can be vast impacts on the result of -smoking- that spice, or snorting it, whatever, and how the person feels afterwards.

Never went much into psychology, did you?

sjanimal

« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2004, 02:00:44 PM »
I've found this thread to be very interesting.  

It reminds me of this guy I knew when I was in highschool.  While I personally don't use drugs, I've seen this guy smoke pot.  I've seen him drunk.  I've seem him take "uppers" and "downers".  Regardless of what drug the guy was on, it didn't seem to matter.  The effect was always the same.  He'd get quiet.  He'd smile a lot and he'd laugh and agree with everything you say.  I think a lot of the people who are on the side of "RP the effects correcly!" are underestimating the tendency that many persons have to react to most drugs with one external response, regardless of what's going on in their nervous system, or what's going on in their heads.

To me this is an extension of the argument where people get mad if they see an elf and a gemmer hanging out together...usually there's more going on than the surface appearance of them just having fun hanging out.  They're probably using eachother for something.
Same thing with spice.  It's very possible to feel agressive...and to play it cool and smile a lot, or to feel euphoric...and to play it cool and smile a lot, or to feel inebriated...and to play it cool and smile a lot.

One more thing that I haven't seen examined a lot is that teenagers and adults react to drugs very differently.  When I would get drunk as a teenager, there would be an active competition to see who could down the most shots and to be the loudest and the stupidest.  While some adult cultures and subculters seem to encourage this, generally adults will have a few hits of their intoxicant, be it dope or alcohol, and then just relax and try to act normal.  They won't pop a handful of prozac and run around saying "Yay I'm happy."  They just try to relax and take their xanax, their paxil, their lithium and their viagra...to try to fit in.

--Nessalin

sjanimal

« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2004, 02:02:26 PM »
Oh, and just in case I'm seeming argumentive, since I've first read this thread I HAVE made a greater effort to RP spice correctly.

--Nessalin