Visualizing Zalanthas..

Started by Delirium, September 20, 2004, 05:37:47 PM

The Labyrinth (or 'rinth) is the common slang term used to refer to the northernmost quarter of the city of Allanak, due to its maze of alleyways that thread about the ramshackle buildings within it.

Once it was merely the quarter for the lower classes of Allanak. Before that, it may have even been an area of some affluence, but this past is only barely hinted at by some of the crumbling structures within.

Over the last several hundred years, as the rich became progressively richer and the poor became poorer, the quarter has completely degenerated into a decayed and disease ridden slum.

In recent days, the 'rinth has become more than just the home to the desperate, the unwanted, or racially undesirable. Generations of its inhabitants have been born, lived and died in Tektolnes' chamber-pot of human life.

Now, not only do the general citizenry of Allanak avoid this dark ghetto -- especially those well-to-do -- but the militia of the city dare not enter as well.

The Labyrinth has formed its own culture of sorts, apart from the rest of the city. Racial or purely random violence is a common occurrence. Street gangs roam wild in the winding alleyways, looking for the lone and unsuspecting.

Packs of children have been known to kill the unwary for nothing more than the hopes of a scrap of food; most are destined to live out their short lives in poverty, wandering the streets aimlessly, scavenging, and begging, until their luck runs out.

Darker, more unsavory organizations have also embraced the chaos and turmoil of the rinth and made it their home.

Geographically and demographically the 'rinth is made up of two distinct areas - the Westside and the Eastside. The Westside's population is, for the most part, made up of humans while the Eastside's is mainly elves. This has led to a futher sub-division of 'rinth culture as the two main population groups generally keep to themselves and view each other with mistrust and suspicion, despite the fact that the general social structure and day-to-day life for most occupants of the 'rinth is the same.

Since certain sectors of the Allanaki economy have gone underground, the 'rinth is where many of the city's small to medium-sized "business contracts" are negotiated, although detailed knowledge of this might not be well known to the average inhabitant. What is evident, however, is that money does trickle into the alleys and at least some of the residents can afford an ale or two occasionally in a local alley
tavern.

The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

Seconded, what a lovely post. This thread is one I ALWAYS check on because people take the time and energy to make fun things like this. Thank you Codemaster.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Uk6-iiVb0Y

Toe biters, or the Giant water Bug. Most painful bite in the world (but not deadly).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV9yhL6i2DE

Red Storm Village lies just north of the Sea of Eternal Dust (q.v.). It is a haven for desert travelers and wayward merchants who pass that far south.

A simple town, ruled by a mysterious figure called the Sand Lord, Red Storm Village offers some measure of security in the knowledge that criminals rarely have the nerve to stay long, as life is a little too hard for thieves and killers.

Many folk have made their homes in Red Storm, for the simple reason that it is far enough from Allanak to avoid the long reach of Tektolnes's law, yet near enough to support an easy trade with the city-state, including grain and spice.

The latter is a narcotic harvested on the shores of the Sea of Silt, and it is the main trade of House Kurac.  (While spice illegal in the city of Allanak, and carries heavy penalties if one is discovered carrying or using it, there is naturally an underground market.)

In the 25th year of the 20th King's Age, while the rest of the world's attention was on Allanak's successful assault on the northlands (including Luir's outpost, in which Kurac conducts much of its spice trade), Red Storm was quietly devastated by a tremendous wave of silt.

The ancient stone walls stood firm, but everything within the village had to be gradually rebuilt by the Sand Lord and his people -- with help from various "interested" groups.

Most of the main buildings were reconstructed from massive blocks of stone.  These massive blocks are rumored to have been supplied by giants from the Sea of Eternal Dust by way of some obscure agreement with the Sand Lord.  In a further effort to ward off future disaster, massive canvas tarpaulins were hoisted to better shield the village from the fiercest weather of the region.

The spice trade resumed...

The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

+1 for the post, +10 for the song from Natural Born Killers.

Amazing story and photos about life in the sewers beneath Bucharest.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2632858/The-ultimate-living-How-poor-carve-living-SEWERS-Eastern-European-city.html

It made me think of Arm, but maybe an Arm player sees Zalanthas everywhere ...
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

Quote from: CodeMaster on May 11, 2014, 03:59:23 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV9yhL6i2DE

Red Storm Village lies just north of the Sea of Eternal Dust (q.v.). It is a haven for desert travelers and wayward merchants who pass that far south.

A simple town, ruled by a mysterious figure called the Sand Lord, Red Storm Village offers some measure of security in the knowledge that criminals rarely have the nerve to stay long, as life is a little too hard for thieves and killers.

Many folk have made their homes in Red Storm, for the simple reason that it is far enough from Allanak to avoid the long reach of Tektolnes's law, yet near enough to support an easy trade with the city-state, including grain and spice.

The latter is a narcotic harvested on the shores of the Sea of Silt, and it is the main trade of House Kurac.  (While spice illegal in the city of Allanak, and carries heavy penalties if one is discovered carrying or using it, there is naturally an underground market.)

In the 25th year of the 20th King's Age, while the rest of the world's attention was on Allanak's successful assault on the northlands (including Luir's outpost, in which Kurac conducts much of its spice trade), Red Storm was quietly devastated by a tremendous wave of silt.

The ancient stone walls stood firm, but everything within the village had to be gradually rebuilt by the Sand Lord and his people -- with help from various "interested" groups.

Most of the main buildings were reconstructed from massive blocks of stone.  These massive blocks are rumored to have been supplied by giants from the Sea of Eternal Dust by way of some obscure agreement with the Sand Lord.  In a further effort to ward off future disaster, massive canvas tarpaulins were hoisted to better shield the village from the fiercest weather of the region.

The spice trade resumed...

Am I the only one crushing on CodeMaster?
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Quote from: Thunkkin on May 20, 2014, 01:07:43 PM
Amazing story and photos about life in the sewers beneath Bucharest.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2632858/The-ultimate-living-How-poor-carve-living-SEWERS-Eastern-European-city.html

It made me think of Arm, but maybe an Arm player sees Zalanthas everywhere ...

Man, if I ever play another rinther, it'll be based off Bruce Lee with a goal of starting a sewer community.
That dude would be epic in arm, especially with the metal chains. :D
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

I'm sure this can apply to some tribe, somewhere.

ATV.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

I know that this is Darksun stuff but some could be translated into Arm: http://www.crapyclawn.net/arma/darkSunArt/index.html
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Ahaha, wow. crapyclawn.net is the website for my gaming clan.

I had no idea Agent_137 uploaded all that Arma stuff there.

He did, it was in an old thread in the World Dicussion 20 + pages ago.
Fredd-

I found this guy and liked him...

Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Who though?
Fredd-

From RAT:- On bandoliers.

Historically speaking, Bandoliers are used for small loads of ammunition, shotgun shells, single load rifles, etc..  so Slings would make sense.

An example of a modern day bandolier, this I would assume would allow you to carry about as much, if not in size, in weight, as a newbie starting pack, but would restrict movement in combat with melee weapons significantly (anyone who's used one of these will tell you they're good, but mildly restrictive on front of body movement)

Around WWI WWII this would have been your more common bandolier, as you can see, it would allow for a greater amount of movement in melee combat, but allows for a lot less carrying space....

The first bandoliers we're AFAIK, actually pat of ritual and custom Native American dress, and used for tribal dances, and stringing weapons, quivers and kills on in everyday use. And were not much more than beads and leather thongs. Over time, these became more developed, and progressed into what you see at the top. The Native American, or possibly,  the WWI WWII styles are the more likely I see being used by people IG.

;D

Quote from: BleakOne
Dammit Kol you made me laugh too.
A staff member sends:
     "Hi! Please don't kill the sparring dummy."

(The below seems like a sort of gith encampment setup. I liked it.)

Oh damn, that first one is awesome. Nice find.

skull and toad

duskhorn

silt flyers?

Hammerhead dujat.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

I imagine silt flyers like pterodactyls.

I don't think I've ever seen this one on here before: