Author Topic: all PVP is surprise attacks. Not lame, but what do we do?  (Read 4557 times)

kahuna

Re: all PVP is surprise attacks. Not lame, but what do we do?
« Reply #125 on: November 22, 2019, 08:30:37 PM »
It isn't my fault if I run away from a raider and it isn't a raiders fault if they immediately pkill me regardless. Both sides are right. The choice to engage in a collaborative scene is simply that, a choice that's decided on by both sides. If one person decides not to that doesn't make them wrong.

Brokkr

• Administrator
« Reply #126 on: November 22, 2019, 09:40:40 PM »
It isn't my fault if I enjoyed watching one character totally bait raiders with their newbie clothes then completely destroy them.

Krath

« Reply #127 on: November 22, 2019, 10:40:50 PM »
I feel that, all pvp/pk is a surprise because everyone thinks their PC will live forever.
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

Alesan

« Reply #128 on: November 23, 2019, 10:26:25 AM »
I feel that, all pvp/pk is a surprise because everyone thinks their PC will live forever.

That is an unfair generalization that is not true and I think you know that.

sandandblood

« Reply #129 on: November 27, 2019, 12:37:18 AM »
I agree with what someone else said earlier in the thread relating to hiding mdescs with cloaks/masks/other clothing items.
I'm not sure why it was removed but I think it would be a good addition if added back to the game, especially involving PVP.

GetKanked

« Reply #130 on: December 01, 2019, 11:14:49 PM »
This is in addition to the raid target being a grebber.  I rode up on them, emoted a couple times, then said - stay away from the bug and you'll live - only for them to immediately type 'mount beetle;w;w;w;w;w;w;w;w;w;w'

He did RP, He got up and ran for his life. Just as valid as you appearing right next to them and telling them to stay away from something when you did not know how far away he was from the "bug". (And no it was not me)

He was sitting down.  And I get what you're saying, but you worked REAL hard to ignore the rest of my post (and the other issues I had with the interaction). 

You're absolutely right, in real life surprise attacks/etc. are definitely a thing.  I've no problem with surprise attacks.  There's just not a situation where you can move from a seated position to riding your bug at a run to the west before the other person can react, except that it's a text based game with text based limitations.  I find it a little lame, as I said.

Also, you aren't the arbiter of what threads should exist.  You'll have a much happier life if you just accept that sometimes people want to discuss things that you don't want to discuss, and have opinions that are different from your own.  You seem to want to dismiss the problem entirely, but there are clearly many people who see it as a problem worth talking about.  The weird, oldbie GDB poster urge to shut down all discussion that you, personally, see as pointless is one of the most toxic things about this place, and has been irritating since I started playing, decades ago.

X-D

« Reply #131 on: December 02, 2019, 02:02:46 AM »
Moderated my own post.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 03:23:29 AM by X-D »
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Krath

« Reply #132 on: December 02, 2019, 09:36:25 PM »
Simple Solution to the Mdesc issue: Staff Bring back the Mdesc Hiding Mask
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

JohnMichaelHenry

« Reply #133 on: December 04, 2019, 06:39:57 AM »

I'd be alright with this, as soon as someone figures out how to force a person from the 'shadows' who is in a room full of people and know that you are standing right there, but can't in any way interact with you.
“Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.”
― Michael Scott, The Warlock

ShaLeah

« Reply #134 on: December 04, 2019, 07:12:06 AM »

I'd be alright with this, as soon as someone figures out how to force a person from the 'shadows' who is in a room full of people and know that you are standing right there, but can't in any way interact with you.
I've said this for years and even posted it May last year:
http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,53671.msg1011878.html#msg1011878

I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

rinthrat

« Reply #135 on: December 04, 2019, 07:18:41 AM »

You can attack a shadow, you can steal from a shadow, and you can interact with them in the same manner that you would with a visible PC once you manage to start watching them. I'm not sure what the brawl code does in taverns if you try to 'hit' a shadow - maybe there's room for improvement there? But shadows are hardly invulnerable once you spotted them.

Riev

« Reply #136 on: December 04, 2019, 09:35:51 AM »
You are missing the point.

If Shaleah spots Rinthrat hiding in the Gaj, Riev cannot in any way interact with Rinthrat.
Even if Shaleah APPROACHES Rinthrat, and says "He is standing right here. Look. See this here? This is a person."

Its not about being "invulnerable", its that Riev will never be able to see Rinthrat, unless Shaleah performs an aggressive, likely unlawful action.
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

kahuna

« Reply #137 on: December 04, 2019, 09:46:12 AM »
On SOI I think you could reveal hidden people if you could see them, breaking their hide status.

triste

« Reply #138 on: December 04, 2019, 10:21:18 AM »
On SOI I think you could reveal hidden people if you could see them, breaking their hide status.

yep via the `point` command, the mechanic was not awkward and intuitively makes a lot of sense.
I don't have much time to play currently but will do my best to maintain https://tristearmageddon.github.io/arma-guild-picker/, message me if something there needs an update.

X-D

« Reply #139 on: December 04, 2019, 06:38:57 PM »
Point...One of the few things from SOI that I agree with. That and what is it, study? The method to get the sdesc of hooded/masked people.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Delirium

• Helper
« Reply #140 on: December 05, 2019, 07:53:10 PM »
I moved a reported post and some associated responses to moderation. Please play nice, y'all.
"There are no happy endings, because nothing ends." - Schmendrick