Author Topic: Developer Request: Quality of Life improvements to the game  (Read 6910 times)

Delirium

• Helper
Re: Developer Request: Quality of Life improvements to the game
« Reply #250 on: September 08, 2018, 01:39:45 PM »
On a past PC that drew a lot I came to really wish you could add a short description to drawing objects.

Maybe with the same sort of code and limitations as the scribble code currently has.

So instead of 'a piece of paper' you might have "a piece of paper painted with a forest scene".

Probably shouldn't be able to short-desc things that have more than one page (so, only paper and canvas).

I don't think that would make sense to short-desc books or scrolls with the way this is meant to be used.
Will they tell your story in the end?
Who lives, who dies, who tells your story?

Cind

« Reply #251 on: September 09, 2018, 02:34:14 AM »
Take all those mysterious unknown recipes and 1. write them down in books and scrolls, 2. offer classes to learn them at the Atrium, 3. give them to the merchant Houses, perhaps also in the form of books and scrolls for leaders to teach underlings, and 4. make them somehow available to everyone else as well, perhaps in the form of a new stall or stand in the bazaar. Like that one tent that sells random items which are all at least vaguely patriotic and really cool, but are things I hadn't ever seen before that tent showed up.

For example, I've made two fruitcake recipes, which can be made by unclanned people all using items that can be bought from stores rather than riskily killed, and I bet you I could count on both hands the number of people who know how to make one of them. I know a third, but I had to message the player for an OOC recipe trade, and could have never figured out the recipe on my own, even though I didn't have to go kill anything to make it.

I also made a Kadian food, but it appears that Kadius at least keeps track of their nibbles and are able to make them available--- either that or that dwarven woman had a damn good memory from the time period that I made it when we were both playing different characters. You never know with other players, honestly.

MAKE UNKNOWN RECIPES AVAILABLE PLEASE
Look, a petting tregil.  So silky...Feel him.

Cabooze

« Reply #252 on: September 09, 2018, 03:52:36 AM »
Take all those mysterious unknown recipes and 1. write them down in books and scrolls, 2. offer classes to learn them at the Atrium, 3. give them to the merchant Houses, perhaps also in the form of books and scrolls for leaders to teach underlings, and 4. make them somehow available to everyone else as well, perhaps in the form of a new stall or stand in the bazaar. Like that one tent that sells random items which are all at least vaguely patriotic and really cool, but are things I hadn't ever seen before that tent showed up.

For example, I've made two fruitcake recipes, which can be made by unclanned people all using items that can be bought from stores rather than riskily killed, and I bet you I could count on both hands the number of people who know how to make one of them. I know a third, but I had to message the player for an OOC recipe trade, and could have never figured out the recipe on my own, even though I didn't have to go kill anything to make it.

I also made a Kadian food, but it appears that Kadius at least keeps track of their nibbles and are able to make them available--- either that or that dwarven woman had a damn good memory from the time period that I made it when we were both playing different characters. You never know with other players, honestly.

MAKE UNKNOWN RECIPES AVAILABLE PLEASE

Maybe message players that made certain unclanned mastercrafts and be like: "Hey, we noticed that no one has used this before, or hasn't used it in IRL years. Mind if we toss this around in some shops?".. Would give some love to some mastercrafts that never saw the light of day.

sleepyhead

« Reply #253 on: September 09, 2018, 08:55:19 AM »
Speaking of drawing, if it hasn't been fixed already, the bug that causes a drawing to adopt the skill level of the first person who "looks" at it rather than the person who draws it needs to be addressed.

KankWhisperer

« Reply #254 on: September 11, 2018, 11:32:05 PM »
>forage rock until ruby
>forage food until sac

You just type it once and your moves slowly drop down with each hidden forage attempt.

Delirium

• Helper
« Reply #255 on: September 11, 2018, 11:37:48 PM »
Just to make sure you're aware, you can type:

forage rock for ruby
forage food for sac

Yea you have to keep typing it, but I'm not convinced that automating forage is a good way to go.

WithSprinkles

« Reply #256 on: September 15, 2018, 10:46:34 PM »
Could there possibly be a way to sort objects in room by number for the er.. obsessive organizer types among us?

Say, there are 10 items in a room, and you want them in a certain order, you can SORT ROOM #3 DOWN or something, until it is where you would like it?

There have been so MANY times I have picked items up one by one or used the CRAFT command to get a room just right, then sat in my nice room and gone to get something from my pack, like a length of leather, but either derped and didn't actually get it or the command didn't go through. Then I go to CRAFT LEATHER to check for recipes:

CRAFT LEATHER
> You can't make anything from that.

Eh?

Now my leather pillow is at the top of room order.  FFFFF----

Now I either live with that pillow up there mocking me or I redo the process to move it back down.

Cabooze

« Reply #257 on: September 16, 2018, 02:52:15 AM »
Just to make sure you're aware, you can type:

forage rock for ruby
forage food for sac

Yea you have to keep typing it, but I'm not convinced that automating forage is a good way to go.

'Forage food for water'  should search for things which can be drank or things that can be crafted into that wad you drink from, if it doesnt already

Dar

« Reply #258 on: September 16, 2018, 03:06:43 AM »
It would be really great if

forage rock for ruby would not give failure messages, but simply made you keep searching until success, periodically giving a 'you keep searching' echo.
Less mind numbing repetitive actions!

Heade

« Reply #259 on: September 16, 2018, 12:44:19 PM »
is the "for" argument necessary in there? I had always thought it was just <forage rock ruby>
I used to have a funny signature, but I felt like no one took me seriously, so it's time to put on my serious face.

CodeMaster

« Reply #260 on: September 16, 2018, 12:48:35 PM »
Could there possibly be a way to sort objects in room by number for the er.. obsessive organizer types among us?

Say, there are 10 items in a room, and you want them in a certain order, you can SORT ROOM #3 DOWN or something, until it is where you would like it?

There have been so MANY times I have picked items up one by one or used the CRAFT command to get a room just right, then sat in my nice room and gone to get something from my pack, like a length of leather, but either derped and didn't actually get it or the command didn't go through. Then I go to CRAFT LEATHER to check for recipes:

CRAFT LEATHER
> You can't make anything from that.

Eh?

Now my leather pillow is at the top of room order.  FFFFF----

Now I either live with that pillow up there mocking me or I redo the process to move it back down.

[Never mind.  I suggested craft without reading your whole post]
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

« Reply #261 on: September 17, 2018, 08:39:34 PM »
When server-side settings page-length limit in Ginka is reached, [MORE] is displayed, indicating that there is more to see. On this display, any input at all other than a straight return-button press results in the game flipping and forgetting anything was being listed whatsoever (resetting to a neutral state therein, as though you had just typed ; on mudlet outside of a list screen, etc).

I propose that typing "more" should also continue the list, as countless times I've typed in "more" to see more of a list / continue the pagelength, but then facepalmed.

In short: On a [MORE] display, allow "more" to work the same as a blank enter/return button press.
It's always lizard time.

The Desert Bloom is a Greggs, tbh.

Cind

« Reply #262 on: September 18, 2018, 06:07:51 AM »
New players always have trouble with >fill templar waterskin water. If only there were a simpler way!
Look, a petting tregil.  So silky...Feel him.

MeTekillot

« Reply #263 on: September 18, 2018, 06:13:49 AM »
I feel like whoever made waterseller code made it with the intent that there would eventually be other liquid sellers who might sell more than one liquid at once but it just never hapoened.

number13

« Reply #264 on: September 18, 2018, 01:05:46 PM »
New players always have trouble with >fill templar waterskin water. If only there were a simpler way!

It should just be something like "fill skin fountain". If you have coins in your inventory, the water-seller takes them for the liquid. If not, the water-seller gives an error message and price.

"Offer skin" gives the price without attempting to fill.

Veselka

« Reply #265 on: September 18, 2018, 07:14:12 PM »
Have starting 'ranged weapons' available in the starter shops, including crappy bows more likely to break and cheap arrows.
Live your life as though your every act were to become a universal law.

--Immanuel Kant

mansa

« Reply #266 on: September 18, 2018, 07:39:22 PM »
Have starting 'ranged weapons' available in the starter shops, including crappy bows more likely to break and cheap arrows.

I know new players want to be the stereotypical 'ranger', so that might be useful.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Delirium

• Helper
« Reply #267 on: September 18, 2018, 08:42:53 PM »
One of the first things I did as a newbie ranger in 2002 was blow all of my starting coin on a bow and arrows.

So I agree with the above two posts.

Inky

« Reply #268 on: September 19, 2018, 01:38:17 AM »
Allow more than five separate tracks to be discovered while using hunt?

Veselka

« Reply #269 on: September 19, 2018, 03:20:36 AM »

I know new players want to be the stereotypical 'ranger', so that might be useful.

More often than not, when I play a new PC that says they shoot arrows, people are incredulous because arrows are so expensive, and they just sling stones. Why don't I just sling stones?

I dunno, mate. Sometimes when I play a character that like, has archery as a skill, and wants to use a bow, it just makes sense?

On the converse, if someone walks into the bar with a bow and quiver, people are like...Oh shit, there's an endgame ass motherfuckin' raider motherfucker. But it's just a bow. And a quiver.

It'd just be nice if cheap, crappy options were available -- Yes, even bows that break more often, but are cheaply replaced -- So that this skill isn't the 'rich person's commodity' or endgame ranger, but just a dude/dudette who shoots things, albeit not great.
Live your life as though your every act were to become a universal law.

--Immanuel Kant