Author Topic: One Hour One Life - Family Survival Game  (Read 736 times)

Sakra

One Hour One Life - Family Survival Game
« on: June 13, 2018, 11:05:14 PM »
I'm sure this will appeal to some of you. It's a harsh life trying to survive in the wilderness... unless you are born into a prosperous village.

http://onehouronelife.com/
Quote from: Bhagharva
What you don't know can kill you. What you do know, can kill others.

To the north
[Near]
A lanky, brown-skinned gith is here, humping the rusty brown kank.
The rusty brown kank to the north bleats miserably.

deskoft

Re: One Hour One Life - Family Survival Game
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 02:33:08 AM »
This looks pretty cool. Bought!

Marauder Moe

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 02:38:28 AM »
Kind of reminds me of a highly condensed FairyTaleOnline but with graphics.  Neat.  I'd be interested to hear about first-hand Armer experiences.

Sakra

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 07:39:25 AM »
I got this yesterday, so I'll tell you what I have learned.

1. Don't move as a baby. This makes you hungry.
2. Some moms suck. Some are nice about letting you die. I once spawned beside my dead mom and a rattlesnake. Note, I was not Hercules and did not make it.
3. This game can be hard. One time I volunteered to watch the babies, while our mom went hunting. A hungry bear showed up, and hunted all the babies down. Then ate me.
4. Much like Arm, there is great satisfaction in living to old age. I have had one character make it, and I got to give away the clothing I had made. (My village was naked.) So my great-grand children got the hula skirt and seal skin I acquired in life.
5. You can club seals.

I would kind of describe it as a less trippy version of Don't Starve Together, that you respawn in.

To the north
[Near]

Akaramu

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 08:30:58 AM »
I wonder if it's really possible to establish a sense of accomplishment in only one hour. Does the baby stage (and whether your mom takes care of you) even matter if it only lasts 5 or so minutes? What if your hour goes by without any of your family being online?

People being online or not was such a huge issue in Faery Tale Online...

Sakra

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 08:48:40 AM »
You don't survive as a baby if your mom doesn't feed you.

You spawn into a random family. Or sometimes you start as a mom in the wilderness.

I'm not sure if you can play this with friends, unless you keep suiciding until you spawn in the same village.

One time I respawned into a village that my children started.

To the north
[Near]

deskoft

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2018, 09:28:24 AM »
I've been playing it. It is pretty cool! Sakra has listed some of the key features. Some families, honestly, suck. Some lives are pretty routinary: farm, farm, farm, and farm. And you die. At the stage the game is in, food is a problem. It's interesting how improper management can shit the family. You can be full of food when you birth, but if your family doesn't keep nurturing the farms, you will end running around searching for a strawberry bush.

That said, the social aspect is pretty linear. It is there, and far more than any other games. You ask things such as: where is the farm? where is the water source? can you make this or that? etc. I have been playing since yesterday, and I did get one where there was some kind of vague lore (my mom had killed everyone and was establishing her own village). For now, I don't see any kind of leadership going around (except for that case), because all interactions are pretty rushed. You run around, oh there is mom, hi mom do you have a flint. Thanks mom. Hey mom we are running out of food. Yes, let's do this. Ok.

The game does advertise that eventually some kind of more complex society might form. I am curious to know how that will happen. It's not like there's enough TIME to hold any kind of elections (or maybe yes). It would be fantastic to be able to define roles, because as I tell you, in the range of one hour a base can go from OMG AMAZING to IT WENT TO HELL.

boog

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2018, 09:35:53 AM »
I miss the old FTO. Mrr.

I used to hold RP meetings on IRC for some of the...  Less, um, quality players.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

deskoft

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2018, 10:35:39 AM »
The dev rate seems to be absolutely incredible though. Part of it might be the fact that the graphics are drawn and the code seems relatively simple.

Akaramu

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2018, 12:44:18 PM »
I miss the old FTO. Mrr.

Me too.

This would look more interesting without the one hour lifespan thing.  :(

deskoft

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2018, 09:36:46 PM »
I have played this more and I am starting to learn the game. I actually had the chance to ask a character to help me learn farming and it was quite nice! It was in a huge village, so at that point farming is very important. Resources are designed in a way that the village needs to keep evolving and evolving or it fails. The experience of going as an adolescent to an adult character to get taught and see them age and eventually die is nice!

We had a huge plantation of berries which could've easily made my 30-years-so character survive however we ran out of compost, which worried me. I went out. I was a female. I gathered a bowl with fruit and tried to find a new area. I died starving -- I should've stayed. It seems the more you learn the game, the more interesting interactions can get.

deskoft

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2018, 09:40:39 PM »
I also want to reinforce, again, that development pace seems to be amazing. They will likely be adding more things this saturday. Quite a nice game!!

Marauder Moe

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2018, 01:41:35 PM »
Bought, though downloading off shitty mobile connection because I'm on travel.

Akaramu

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2018, 03:23:06 PM »
Bought, though downloading off shitty mobile connection because I'm on travel.

Let us know what you think!

Marauder Moe

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2018, 04:57:32 PM »
I was born.  People fed me.  There was corn.  Then people stopped feeding me and I died at 6 years old.

Akaramu

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2018, 05:22:14 PM »
I was born.  People fed me.  There was corn.  Then people stopped feeding me and I died at 6 years old.

Can't you eat by yourself as a 6 year old?

Marauder Moe

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2018, 05:55:19 PM »
Only if you're not too dumb to know how to do that.

I was born.  I was named Emelia West.  I lived in a big village.  I had one shoe.  I learned how to eat berries.  I learned how to till soil.  I didn't ever learn how to do much more before babies started popping out of me.  My first son ran away into the wilderness and I never saw him again.  I had many children after that, most of them better behaved.  I gave them each a tour of the village as my mother did before me.  As the village grew, the berries were eaten faster and faster.  One day the berry field was without any berries.  I had two young infants at the time.  I named them.  I fed them.  I walked off to find something to eat and starved to death at 37.

Akaramu

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2018, 07:07:06 PM »
I didn't ever learn how to do much more before babies started popping out of me.

Wait... just like that? Without any men involved?  :o

This game is weird.

Marauder Moe

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2018, 08:16:03 PM »
Yeah, pretty much.  I'd say men are useless in the game, except that they get to spend their whole lives building stuff instead of being a milk factory for 20-something years.

deskoft

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2018, 08:45:27 PM »
Yeah, in my last games, I've started to even go as far as debate if I should wait for a daughter to raise her, as they are the ones who will help me develop the lineage -- which is interesting if you think about it. As a man, I would hope my family is living in an establishde village and thus I can work my /ass/ off trying to make as much as I can for the future generations. i will avoid spending too many resources and kill myself in case the famines are evidently coming, which I wouldn't do if I was a female; I would likely grab bowls of berries and go someplace else to seek my luck and that of my children, while giving the rest of my family a chance to survive. What is informally a satellite village.

Marauder Moe

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2018, 11:45:01 PM »
Oh my god.  I almost lived to die of old age.  Then someone SHOT me.

Louise
59 years old
14 seconds ago
Murdered
Final words: "Ow"

deskoft

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2018, 02:02:29 AM »
Shot you how???

Akaramu

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2018, 06:08:28 AM »
Oh my god.  I almost lived to die of old age.  Then someone SHOT me.

Louise
59 years old
14 seconds ago
Murdered
Final words: "Ow"

:o

Sakra

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2018, 06:53:03 AM »
Shot you how???

Bow and arrow.

I like the final words thing. You can tell people who murdered you.

To the north
[Near]

Akaramu

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2018, 08:50:36 AM »
According to reviews, this game has some griefer issues... people who dedicate their lives to killing entire civilizations just because. And there appears to be no justice system, a killer can hide behind a tree and be virtually untouchable.  ???