Author Topic: [Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead] Tales of the Apocalypse  (Read 3617 times)

Marauder Moe

Re: [Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead] Tales of the Apocalypse
« Reply #300 on: December 07, 2017, 04:13:52 AM »
The Awesome People Carrier stank of death.

It was parked at the edge of the small village of Standish.  Team Phi had picked over the place twice already, but it's distance from the farm made it difficult to fully loot.  They scrounged up some choice medical supplies and a few gallons of diesel from the local gas station.  What Phi needed most, however, was "samples" of the remaining undead.

Her research had shown a clear link between the infection and her own mutated state.  Reversing the damage would first require cultivating the infection, and what meant gathering rotting flesh of the undead.  From the dozen or so creatures they encountered, Phi distilled six doses of genetic "purifier" formula.  It was just in time, too.  Her metabolism had spiked again and her food supply was nearly exhausted.

Phi sat down on the bed and drank a bottle of the concoction.  The effect was fast and unpleasant.  She felt weak and slow.  However, she also saw the talons of her hand shortening.  It was working.  She gulped down another dose.  Her vision blurred.  Would this damned potion take all of her gifts but still leave her hideous animal features?  She kept drinking.

When her body settled, Phi felt almost... human.  She was still unnaturally pale, but her scales had shrunk leaving her with rough skin.  Her nails had shrunk.  She had a stub of a tail left, but her face was that of a woman again, not a lizard-like creature.  Her companions were guardedly astonished.

While she recovered, Thad fussed over something at the kitchen station.  "Here, try this."  He handed her something.  It smelled amazing.  It was a cookie.  She wolfed it down without thinking.  It was the first non-meat thing she'd eaten in a long time... but it still upset her stomach.  Too much processed sugar, perhaps?  She tried some of the canned pears and those didn't bother her.  She was back among the omnivores.

The ordeal was bittersweet.  She wondered if she'd lost something powerful and special.  She wondered if her impulsive vanity had hurt the group's chances for survival.  Most of all, though, she was exhausted.  They drew the curtains shut over the windshield and she tried to get some sleep.

Strange dreams were not something new to Phi, but these were different.  She dreamed about a zoo.  When she awoke, there was something on her face.  She tried to wipe it off but it was stuck.  Her stirring woke Rudy and he looked over, then jerked back with a yelp.

"Bfwhat?"  She flipped on the overhead light and looked at her reflection in the window.  It looked like the lower half of her face had melted, leaving flaps over her mouth.  "Fghrawgh!  No!"

Phi stumbled out of the back of the APC.  What had she done?  She'd tampered with something she did not fully understand.  She needed more.  More purifier.  More mutagen.

She spotted a zombie down the street.  Well, half of one anyway.  With a cry, she grabbed her bat and raced towards it.  Thad and Rudy could barely catch up.  She smashed it's head in and then began messily cleaving off chunks of flesh.  The noise attracted a few shades that were still up.  She went and slaughtered those too, stopping only to collect her foul samples.

Ichor dripped behind her as she carried her pile of flesh back to the vehicle.  She immediately got to work boiling and concentrating the foul infection.  To Phi's horror, she realized that she used up all of her ammonia on the batch of mutagen and had none left for the final stage of the purifier.  Again she grabbed her bat and went tearing through the town, rushing through stores and smashing her way through houses.  There was no ammonia cleaner to be found, however.  She returned to the APC and slumped down on the bed in defeat.  Her current form was not acceptable.  She HAD to change it.

Then a dark little thought came to her.  She could just... drink the mutagen.  Just a little.  Maybe it could pull her face into something more acceptable.  With one hand she lifted her mouth flaps, with the other she brought the fresh jug of mutagen to her lips. 

Her tail grew long and lithe and the shadows in her vision receded, but her face was still melted.  She almost took another drink but Thad stopped her.  "That's enough for now.  Sleep."  She did.

JustAnotherGuy

« Reply #301 on: December 07, 2017, 11:25:59 AM »
Which mutation is the face one she got?  Been very cool reading your stories.
Or you might get me.
A staff member sends:
     "Looks like you introduced him to *puts on sunslits* the school of hard Knoxx.  YEEEEAAAAAAH"

Marauder Moe

« Reply #302 on: December 07, 2017, 01:24:13 PM »
It's called "mouth flaps".  Literally the face of "I've made a terrible mistake", I suppose.

Miradus

« Reply #303 on: December 07, 2017, 01:47:50 PM »

So, how exactly can I hook up my makeshift welder to the car battery?  I'm burning through power fast with that thing.  Would love to get it on solar power ASAP.

There's a "UPS Conversion Mod". I don't remember which book has the recipe. Mechanical mastery, perhaps. If not that, then one of the electronics mods.

The UPS conversion mod turns the batteries in any tool into rechargeable ones.

You can salvage a UPS recharger unit from most any Humvee or APC. Your vehicle base should have solar panels and you leave the UPS recharger on and put your tools with the conversion mod in there.

However you should work towards making a welding rig if you're in a mobile base, or a welding rig on a solar stand you can drag around if in a permanent base. It takes like 4 makeshift welders and some metals to create. (3 welders for the rig, 1 to weld them into the rig.)

Remember, when mounting your welding rig on your vehicle, you can only use it within 6 spaces and requires line of sight. So if you mount it inside your vehicle you need to be inside to use it. I've mounted mine on the outside rear with some cargo carriers but I've had a few issues getting through messy towns. Damage to your vehicle is distributed weirdly sometimes and after a particularly hairy run I'll sometimes look and see that I scraped off a rear cargo carrier or my precious welding rig. We going back to get it? NOPE.

Marauder Moe

« Reply #304 on: December 07, 2017, 03:12:03 PM »
I think my power generation is a bit too low for a UPS at the moment.  I don't have the recipe for a welding rig.  I've been just pulling out car batteries and using that for my welding.

Speaking of not going back to things, Phi lost her barbed wire bat.  I think she dropped it when rolling a 200L barrel out of a toxic waste dump.  Didn't notice until we'd driven a long way and started looting a mansion.  Diesel is too scarce for a return trip.

Meanwhile...

---

Sunlight streamed into the dark APC between gaps in the front curtains.  Phi groggily rolled out of bed and poured a bowl of breakfast.  Granola.  It was still such a treat, compared to the vast amounts of meat jerky, jellied aspic, and boiled organs that had made up her diet.  The disgusting fleshy flaps around her mouth made eating difficult, however.  She felt like she could smell the jug of mutagen under the bed where she sat, even though she knew it was sealed tightly.  Just one more dose.  Maybe it'll make the fleshy flaps go away.  Maybe it'll make her strong and fast again, or give her other wonderful gifts!  No... she'd wait until she could make purifier again.

The mansion the team looted the day before didn't yield much of interest.  A few books that might be reading one day, a few bits of (edible!) food, and heating elements pried out of the many kitchens serving the structure.  No more cleaning chemicals, however.

The two men stirred, woke, and climbed out of the group's shared bed.  They started readying themselves for the day.  When everyone was fed and geared up, Phi pulled the curtains aside.  She was greeted by a strange sight.

At first she thought it was snow, but it couldn't be.  Yesterday was sweltering.  It was still summer.  She looked closer and it seems to be odd fungal growths.  Strange forms had sprouted up everywhere, encroaching heavily upon the road.  Clearing it ahead of the vehicle would impossible.  If the substance was flammable, the firestorm would surely kill them all. 

"Bwuckle wup bwoys, gwobba dwive fthrough."

Miradus

« Reply #305 on: December 07, 2017, 03:40:36 PM »

Nice writing. :)

When you're traveling around in the beginning, use the N key on your global map to annotate interesting things you can come back for later. Like I record the locations of useful vehicles, book caches, etc. Then later in the game when I'm more mobile I go back for the useful things.

As a rule I try to swap out diesel engines with V12 gasoline ones since gasoline is so freakin' common. I was looking for some in The Beast when I noticed some interesting game updates and clicked 'update' in the launcher. Which of course killed my save game. So back to the beginning.

I saw a bunch of you were complaining about the carnivore mutation. I find it to be complete bullshit and generally remove it. Especially if I've mutated to become a bear or rat thing.

Instructions for removal:

In your save game directory, find your world. Inside that folder will be a file named something like this--

#SGFybGV5IFNjYWxlcw==.sav

Open it in a text editor.

You'll see tags and if you search for the word carnivore you'll find it.

"EATDEAD": { "key": 32, "charge": 0, "powered": false }

That's one for "Eater of the Dead". Remove the whole tag for carnivore and presto ... your bear warrior can now properly eat granola as well as moose and campers.

I use this to start out with a specific loadout of mutations. I almost never use mutations in-game but either start with them or not. I don't know how to create a professions mod so I just hack the save file to add the mutations I want.

If I'm going for city-based play I like to go with the full rat mutation or the spider one. I jack up the city size in worldgen to 16 so I get this giant mega city and set on random spawns so it's always full of zombies then I try to build out an awesome rat-lair in the sewer system and only scavenge at night. That fast metabolism the rat mutation has means you're either searching for food or you're starving ALL THE TIME.

The squid mutation is neat too but there's nothing really to do with it since you can't build an underwater base. Most of the other mutations I don't find very interesting.

Bionics are extremely overpowered. Once I start adding them I can't stop. So on any given playthrough I decide at the beginning whether I'll augment. There's only a few things you can do with bionics that you can't do or mitigate without them, but having the bionics at the start means you're outfitted from day one with some crucial things. You don't spend the first 40 days hunting for a welder and a toolbox.

Akaramu

• Anathema Web Serial
« Reply #306 on: December 07, 2017, 04:52:11 PM »
That kinda feels like cheating. Brewing purifiers + the serums you want is more fun than cheating.

Hauwke

« Reply #307 on: December 07, 2017, 04:54:56 PM »
I can never get the required skills for it, my crafting skills always get stuck at like 3.

Miradus

« Reply #308 on: December 07, 2017, 05:36:19 PM »
That kinda feels like cheating. Brewing purifiers + the serums you want is more fun than cheating.

I'm a proponent of the "play the way you want to" school.

To me, starting out a certain way or with certain tools is a way to get to the midgame content I like faster. Where some people like to turn zombies off altogether and just dabble in the world's basebuilding.

Your toy. Do what you want.

Hauwke

« Reply #309 on: December 07, 2017, 06:15:47 PM »
I wonder how close you could get to making an underwater base, because that would be pretty awesome given the fact that you can already build yourself a cave given rnough fabrication skill to make the entrance, and then a pickaxe to make the rooms.

I wonder if, you do the same thing in a pool if it will trickle down and just get deeper water beneath and fill up.

Or perhaps you would need to check the debug menu and spawn deep water because I am pretty sure you might be able to alter room states.

Miradus

« Reply #310 on: December 07, 2017, 06:37:29 PM »
There's not any liquid physics except for pouring in and out of containers.

There are large lakes and there's a boat mod, but the boat is just a vehicle that can move on water.

When you're in the water, you can't go up or down z-levels. You're on one plane. And zombies/monsters that see you and have the NOBREATH tag (undead/etc) will just swim out to attack you. Plus, the construction menu doesn't work when you're swimming, even if you are a fish or cephalopod mutation with gills and can't technically drown.

In the PK's rebalancing mod, which is super hard, there are some structures which have water in them you have to swim across, and that seems to protect you from certain things.

As a plug for the rebalancing mod, the monster evolutions and world decay make for a much more challenging game. Buildings are aging and collapsing, item spawn starts dropping (to simulate other survivor's having gotten there before you) and the apocalypse is moving forward with tougher and different types of monsters and zombies.

ETA: Also, stationary base safety sort of becomes a thing of the past because stuff can and will come break down your doors or come through the wall. Sound and scent management become much more problematic. It makes for a very interesting mid and late game. Fortifying a city base is extremely difficult.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 06:40:35 PM by Miradus »

Pale Horse

« Reply #311 on: December 07, 2017, 06:56:10 PM »
While you cannot make an underwater base, you can create a floating one if you use the boat mod.

Normally, vehicles will drop and disappear (with everything they had in them) if driven too far into deep water but you attach enough boat boards, you can push, pull or drive it into the water tiles and continue to expand it from there.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Hauwke

« Reply #312 on: December 07, 2017, 07:03:49 PM »
Pools actually have 2 z-levels. Its an either or case as far I know though, either you can swim and you are on top, or you cant and you drop. Though to be fair, I have not really spent any time experimenting with them.

-If- you can go up and down, you could make an 'underwater base' in that the entrance would be covered by water and you have to swim through it. You could dig a shaft downward, and create your 'door' and then above that make it a river room and it -should- (in theory) stay like that.

Otherwise, a sweet ass boat base would be really cool to have in the middle of a lake or river.

Miradus

« Reply #313 on: December 07, 2017, 07:09:25 PM »
Pools actually have 2 z-levels. Its an either or case as far I know though, either you can swim and you are on top, or you cant and you drop. Though to be fair, I have not really spent any time experimenting with them.

-If- you can go up and down, you could make an 'underwater base' in that the entrance would be covered by water and you have to swim through it. You could dig a shaft downward, and create your 'door' and then above that make it a river room and it -should- (in theory) stay like that.

Otherwise, a sweet ass boat base would be really cool to have in the middle of a lake or river.

I've wanted to try a boat base for awhile but I never can find the right spot. It needs a wide river with a bunch of cities or clusters of buildings around it for looting.

Now that I think of it though, you could take your awesome APC and fit it (in addition to the wheels) with the boat boards. I don't think there are any float mechanics. I'm gonna go test.

TEST RESULTS:

I spawned in inflatable boat sections and paddles and a fully functional APC.

I was right by the perfect river so I took the wheels off the APC and added the boat sections. If you have engines and paddles it won't start. So you have to remove the paddles to use engines or remove engines to use paddles. Can't have both. Maybe a boat engine is fine, but regular diesels are not.

The second obstacle was getting the vehicle into the river. If it's a land vehicle, no part of it can be touching deep water. If it's a boat, no part of it can be touching land. You can't push it into the river. So you'd have to find a patch of shallow water large enough to accommodate your land vehicle and convert it there. You also can't start vehicle construction in shallow water, so I'm not sure how you're ever supposed to get a boat started.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 07:34:39 PM by Miradus »

Hauwke

« Reply #314 on: December 07, 2017, 09:20:54 PM »
With enough strength, you could start contrstuction outside the shallow water, then simply drag the frame in.

Pale Horse

« Reply #315 on: December 07, 2017, 11:32:09 PM »
Tip:

There is the action menu brought up by using the "%" key, which lists a number of actions you can perform that are not particularly listed anywhere.  These generally have something to do with extra effects or actions that items you have on your person give to you.

Example:  My other mutant is trying to escape a lab.  My lab apparently was built over a sewer system leading into the nearby city, but there are metal bars blocking passage through the tunnels.  The sledge hammer I found in a crate isn't solid enough to bust through them..but then I found a hacksaw.  Which allows cutting through metal...

Suck it, guard turrets on the first floor!  Suck it, deadly lab-end-creatures-that-are-sure-to-kill-you while you look for a science card!
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Miradus

« Reply #316 on: December 08, 2017, 08:56:49 AM »

Heh. AND you could then use the bottom of the science lab for a base if you wanted, making excursions in and out of the city using the sewer.

I think the sewers are entirely underrated. There's infinitely respawning rats down there for meat and I've even found ant nests down below. There's cutaways between the subway lines and the sewers which have strong metal doors to set up as a base and if you can dig, you can often find subway walls that can be busted through to get into a basement, giving you an easier way up and down into houses. (Coming up the subway line or a manhole leaves you exposed to view to any zeds which happen to be standing around. Coming up into a house means you are hidden and can creep over to a window and take a sneaky peek.)

Marauder Moe

« Reply #317 on: December 08, 2017, 11:40:55 AM »
*SPLAT!!  Schluuuuuuurp THUNK-A-THUNK!*
"What the hell was that!?"
"Mosquito."
"Wow.  Let's not stop here."

---

Looted a military bunker using up two military ID's, which get consumed...?  Very disappointing.  Only got a rifle out of it.

Ran out of road, started driving cross-country.  Ran out of country, had to get out and chop down trees to make a path through forest. 

Found a farmhouse and a new set of roads.  Might stop for a day or so to harvest some yummy vegetables.  Still have flappy face.  Still thinking about taking more mutagen.

Akaramu

• Anathema Web Serial
« Reply #318 on: December 08, 2017, 12:11:21 PM »
Looted a military bunker using up two military ID's, which get consumed...?  Very disappointing. 

Yeah, it sucks. Keep in mind you can often bypass card readers with electrohacks, jackhammers, a pickaxe / homewrecker or a good fist punch with 30+ strength (hydraulic muscles CBM ftw)

Plus of course the probability travel CBM. Walk through walls, yo.

Pale Horse

« Reply #319 on: December 08, 2017, 12:19:52 PM »
*SPLAT!!  Schluuuuuuurp THUNK-A-THUNK!*
"What the hell was that!?"
"Mosquito."
"Wow.  Let's not stop here."

---

Looted a military bunker using up two military ID's, which get consumed...?  Very disappointing.  Only got a rifle out of it.

Ran out of road, started driving cross-country.  Ran out of country, had to get out and chop down trees to make a path through forest. 

Found a farmhouse and a new set of roads.  Might stop for a day or so to harvest some yummy vegetables.  Still have flappy face.  Still thinking about taking more mutagen.

Hmm...I've always just lit the forest on fire in strategic locations..but considering that chopping down a tree only takes 30 minutes, while waiting for a forest fire to clear a sufficient path takes a day or more..

I may start listening to ol' Smokey...so long as he's still alive.

I've seen the horror of his gaze in the dark boughs of the forest at night.  The eyes still haunt me.

Pale Horse

« Reply #320 on: December 08, 2017, 12:50:43 PM »
My start with my latest mutant has been flipping fantastic.

The above image is the level of the lab that had the sewer exit.  It took almost a full day's hike through the tunnel to finally find a manhole cover to crawl out of and into the nearby city.  I can across the bodies of several dead scientists who had apparently thought trying to get out of the lab through the tunnels was also a good idea.  They didn't get far and their science ID cards and some nice equipment became mine.

After hiking back south and getting into the lab through the front door, I got into a turret guarded computer room with a lucky toss from the only EMP grenade I found in a lab crate that fried the guardian.  The map revealed the above.

There's no (safe) water source above, with a tiny swamp edge showing in the lower left hand corner, but a triffid grove has taken root there (pun intended!).  However, the lab has one of those flooded rooms in it just one tile north of the main stairway leading down from which I can draw a good amount of liquid for a long time.  The mansion to the west of the lab in the center also has a basement that butts up against the first level of the lab so when I finally get some digging tools, I'm going to path my way into it.

Which may be for the best.  Being this near a bee hive is not good for my health.  The giant bees have already devastated the local Zed population.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 12:59:01 PM by Pale Horse »

Marauder Moe

« Reply #321 on: December 08, 2017, 01:28:32 PM »
NPC can be really dumb.  Got "held up" by some chick with throwing knives.  Didn't even waste a bullet.  Didn't feel that bad about it.

Ran into another woman who's partner was killed by a Jabberwock.  Went and killed the Jabberwock with my new rifle.  Unfortunately, she fled far away before I could let her know or get any sort of reward.

Chemistry book says ammonia can be made from charcoal.  Welded up a charcoal kiln and set it burning.  Looted nearby farms while waiting for it.  Have started posting one of the men to guard the APC door while heading out so no one comes and takes my precious stuff.

Charcoal taking a long time.  Started playing with electronics.  Going to give a UPS system a trial.

Out of granola.  Very sad.  Realized can make more.  Happy again.

Now have UPS soldering iron and UPS welder.

Realized latest batch of loot had lye powder.  Made one batch of purifier and drank immediately.  Face flaps gone.  Yay!

Sleep well for the first time in a while.

Marauder Moe

« Reply #322 on: December 08, 2017, 03:14:12 PM »
Phi completed another batch of purifier.  Just in time, too.  Her feet had hardened into hooves, her head was lumpy, and frankly, she smelled bad.  After the purification binge she was human again... almost.  Her hands were still slightly claw-like.  Also, continued shifting of her anatomy confirmed what she was starting to fear: that the purifier is unable to correct her base genetic damage.  She would likely continue changing for the rest of her life.

That left two options.

First, she could manufacture enough purifier to keep her (mostly) human.  She estimated that would require about a dose per day.  It took about an entire zombie's worth of infected tissue to make one dose.

Second, steer her genes towards a form that's more acceptable to live in.  That means either waiting for random chance to do it or figuring out how to develop a more targeted mutagen.  The latter means likely visiting another laboratory.

They were tough choices.  Fortunately, neither need be made immediately nor, it would seem, be irreversible.

Anyway, with the local farms looted, it was time to start up the APC and move on again.

Akaramu

• Anathema Web Serial
« Reply #323 on: December 08, 2017, 03:59:28 PM »
Regarding mutations - I THINK you're more likely to gain new mutations of a branch if you already have other mutations from that branch, and even the plain old night vision is associated with certain paths. So for instance if you have bark skin, leaves and feline eyes, you're most likely to get more plant mutations, somewhat likely to become more cat-like, and then there's also a small chance for something completely new.

I SUSPECT you kept getting carnivore because you chose starting mutations that are associated with beast / hunter type carnivorous animals.

Marauder Moe

« Reply #324 on: December 08, 2017, 07:05:23 PM »
I know that, indeed, you are more likely to get mutations that match categories most strongly represented by what you currently have.

Though, I actually chose my current starting traits to specifically avoid those types, but I suspect starting traits don't count for your category.  I had a string of mutant characters with the same build and hit a wide variety of categories.