Author Topic: Fitness  (Read 10798 times)

MeTekillot

Re: Fitness
« Reply #200 on: September 10, 2018, 06:05:44 AM »
Checked my weight after a month and I've lost 10 fucking pounds. Looks like protein powder's back on the menu, boys.

boog

« Reply #201 on: September 10, 2018, 08:14:51 AM »
Add a bit more butter to whatever you're cooking, too. Double the calories of carbs or proteeeeein.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Bebop

« Reply #202 on: September 16, 2018, 01:14:37 PM »
I went and had my body composition checked in a Bod Pod last week so that I could have goals towards changing body composition instead of weight reduction exclusively.  So I've been weight training this week and I did and arm and leg day on Friday.  While I was at the Bod Pod analysis I spoke to one of the trainers there that was talking about training less but to the point of failure.  So Friday I went HAM on my limbs and two days later is still hurts to move.

I'm going to be two doing two days of cardio a week.
Two days of super intense weight training.
Macros with high protein content.

I have a six month goal to drop 20 lbs and reduce my body fat percentage by 10%.

We shall see!  In the past I've been one of those people that stuck exclusively to cardio, and I saw results because I was really into treadmill running but domestic life has caused me to backslide and I'm super burned out on cardio.  So now I'm much more interested in normal range/full body movement and tone.  Weight training actually makes me excited to work out again and I always feel so good after - except for the soreness.  Ow!

MeTekillot

« Reply #203 on: September 18, 2018, 04:23:50 PM »
Eating past satiety makes me gag so it's real cool I put in all the work but can't put in the work where most people have trouble doing that thing too much. It's very upsetting as I am not at all happy with my body. I am disgusted when I look in the mirror. Is there some sort of ridiculously calorie dense energy shake or something?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 04:26:04 PM by MeTekillot »

Bebop

« Reply #204 on: September 18, 2018, 04:25:11 PM »
Realizing like four days later I think I strained my right bicep.  Ow!  I went a little too hard I think.

Slowly getting used to a day of cardio vs weight training.  Getting out of the office at 3:30 pm today so might actually have time to get a workout in without getting home super late.  Wewt!

As of 3 pm I still have over 900 calories for the day and am well over my protein percentage for macros which is good because I have a really hard time getting in my protein.  I've recently incorporated lean animal protein into my diet but my diet has been primarily plant based my whole life so it's kind of meh for me.  I try to do without dairy and I keep telling myself one I've established a good base it'll be easier to pump the breaks on animal protein.

Delirium

• Helper
« Reply #205 on: September 18, 2018, 04:31:55 PM »
Is there some sort of ridiculously calorie dense energy shake or something?

Most nuts are high in fat and calories - almonds, pistachios, and cashews especially. Put some nut butter on a slice of bread. Avocado of course. Drink whole milk or half & half. Take a multivitamin to make sure you're getting those, if you haven't been eating much, especially if you haven't been eating plants/fruits/veggies.

Basically, use lots of healthy oils, fats, and proteins in your diet.

I mean, I guess you could just figure out some kinda high-fat shake and blend it up. Google is your friend.
Will they tell your story in the end?
Who lives, who dies, who tells your story?

Synthesis

« Reply #206 on: September 19, 2018, 04:02:44 AM »
Eating past satiety makes me gag so it's real cool I put in all the work but can't put in the work where most people have trouble doing that thing too much. It's very upsetting as I am not at all happy with my body. I am disgusted when I look in the mirror. Is there some sort of ridiculously calorie dense energy shake or something?

There are two types of protein powders generally available:  pure protein, and mass builder.  Mass builder powders will have something like 1,000 calories per serving:  50g of protein and 250g of carbs.  Pure protein will have almost all the calories from protein alone, so it will be more like 150 calories per serving.

That being said, you can always mix stuff in with pure protein, depending on the flavor.  Chocolate whey + whole milk instead of water + peanut butter is a good one, as long as you're not lactose-intolerant.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: Smuz
I come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: Vanth
Synthesis, you scare me a little bit.

MeTekillot

« Reply #207 on: September 19, 2018, 07:53:04 AM »
Can you name some mass builder brands I could look for?

Synthesis

« Reply #208 on: September 19, 2018, 01:57:05 PM »
Can you name some mass builder brands I could look for?

Optimum Nutrition, BSN, Body Fortress...all the major bodybuilding supplement brands have a version of it.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: Smuz
I come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: Vanth
Synthesis, you scare me a little bit.

MeTekillot

« Reply #209 on: September 25, 2018, 07:25:16 AM »
+5 pounds. Let's see if I can make +55

boog

« Reply #210 on: September 25, 2018, 01:01:32 PM »
I am super anal when it comes to schedules. If my schedule's thrown off it can fuck my entire day up.

So, imagine my distress when I was gonna go to the Y today after the kids' school and karate but lo, my mother needs her hair dyed for her church retreat this weekend.

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

THE BEST LAID PLANS, MY FRIENDS.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
There is only one boog.

Sephiroto

« Reply #211 on: September 28, 2018, 11:18:27 AM »
MeTekillot, I can't gain muscle mass without gaining a ton of fat to save my life, so we're in a similar boat.

I tried getting my weight up from 140 to 150 with healthy eating and exercise only, but I plateaued at 145.  After lowering from 3 days/week gym to 1 day/week and no change to diet I'm now down 3 pounds.

I don't have enough appetite to pound 3-4000 calories of healthy stuff a day.  And the rare times I do, eating this much makes me feel horrible. 

I know this probably enrages folks who are struggling to lose weight, but I'm struggling to stay out of the 'underweight' BMI category.  My Fitbit Aria 2 says I'm 10.5% body fat, though that thing isn't to be trusted.  If it's anywhere close to accurate, then that's not great considering I'm not an athlete and barely in the 'fitness' category.

I thing being slightly underweight is better than being overweight, so I definitely don't take that for granted.  Being skinny still sucks, especially when it makes you more injury prone.

MeTekillot

« Reply #212 on: September 28, 2018, 11:33:35 AM »
It's also socially acceptable for the local moms and dudebros to not shut the fuck about how you need to eat a sandwich  ::)

Hauwke

« Reply #213 on: September 28, 2018, 10:14:18 PM »
Ive gradually been putting on a bit of weight, gone from 82kg to 83kg over the last 4 weeks of doing super standard excersizes. According to this chart my partner brought home that displays the recommended servings of each food group, I eat hardly anything. I tried to keep up with the 6 serves of bread and cereals and my god, how does anyone do it.

MeTekillot

« Reply #214 on: September 28, 2018, 10:21:56 PM »
Those were made by the farm industry and government subsidies special interests, not actual nutritionists.

Cind

« Reply #215 on: September 28, 2018, 10:28:27 PM »
I am chubby cheeks, but there are people who definitely need more help than I do, so I'm grateful.

I always loved the idea of having a gym membership but we live out in the boonies, far away from any signs of modern human civilization. That includes metal constructs like the exercise equipment inside of gyms, and their glass paned windows.

I've been taking vitamins, a lot of vitamin c as well, right now my face is pretty flushed and I am always tired. I have been fighting a series of bugs, the first one was so bad it drained my immune system and paved the way for the others. It is alright though, just my energy levels are not the best.

If I had a gym membership and could go whenever I wanted I think I'd live there for a week just to get it out of my system, and then go maybe three times a week. I don't think I could go more because I am so busy.
Look, a petting tregil.  So silky...Feel him.

MeTekillot

« Reply #216 on: October 02, 2018, 07:18:34 AM »

roughneck

« Reply #217 on: October 11, 2018, 07:56:21 AM »
People have talked a bunch about BJJ so I figured I'd share this for fun.

I started training diligently again in August. I've been on and off for 8 years. A purple belt.

I've been at a new club because I moved. The club owner was putting together a night of submission only grappling matches, EBI style rules.

I'm the 240lb guy in purple spandex doing a cartwheel at 3:09.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 07:59:10 AM by roughneck »

Is Friday

• My Twitch Channel
« Reply #218 on: October 11, 2018, 08:24:01 AM »
@roughneck are you single?  :-*

I just did "leg day" for the first time in forever. I do a lot of kettlebell stuff so it wasn't as bad as expected since I'm doing weighted squats/lunges all the time etc. We'll see how I feel tomorrow and Saturday. I really did not want to work out today. Thanks Joe Rogan for reminding me I would feel better afterward.

I've downloaded a ton of videos for my guys to use whole overseas as part of my overall library, BJJ included. Do you reccommend any YouTube channels for instruction purposes @roughneck? I've already downloaded all of Submissions101 which has a ton. We have a few guys in the Company who were either semi pro and 1 pro prior to joining. We should be getting some great training in while away.
And then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

roughneck

« Reply #219 on: October 11, 2018, 09:59:23 AM »
Good training partners are worth more than a 1000 hours of youtube videos. Sounds like you got lucky!

I don't go to any single source for extra training videos, but direct my research based on where my game is weak. For example, I'm not happy with not getting closer to finishing the guillotine in that match, so I'm studying grip variations to close the gaps at different angles for full strangulation! I also like to watch the same move/technique from multiple sources, especially for fundamentals. Top level competitors still win matches with scissor sweeps and triangle chokes, so I think there's value in watching each version of the same basic technique demonstrated to fully develop your concept of the movements and angles. I don't look for magic bullet moves, because I'm old fashioned and I don't believe they exist.

Either way, come to Canada and let's have a roll!

boog

« Reply #220 on: October 11, 2018, 10:12:00 AM »
Fuck off, IF. He's mine!  >:( >:(  ;D
There is only one boog.

Bebop

« Reply #221 on: October 11, 2018, 11:49:15 AM »
Sweet, I started Kung Fu again recently and hopefully belly dance is next.

I am really struggling with eating animal protein.  Of cut way back and once again I'm getting about half the protein my macros allot for.  SIGH.  Usually 3/4ths is as high as I can get up to but that carb trade off, ugh.  My goals are to be in better shape by February.  It's slow going because I'm so busy.

Is Friday

• My Twitch Channel
« Reply #222 on: October 11, 2018, 01:53:22 PM »
Good training partners are worth more than a 1000 hours of youtube videos. Sounds like you got lucky!

I don't go to any single source for extra training videos, but direct my research based on where my game is weak. For example, I'm not happy with not getting closer to finishing the guillotine in that match, so I'm studying grip variations to close the gaps at different angles for full strangulation! I also like to watch the same move/technique from multiple sources, especially for fundamentals. Top level competitors still win matches with scissor sweeps and triangle chokes, so I think there's value in watching each version of the same basic technique demonstrated to fully develop your concept of the movements and angles. I don't look for magic bullet moves, because I'm old fashioned and I don't believe they exist.

Yep, agree whole heartedly. The video library is so that we can teach the moon's and keep each facet or variation strong. It's so us teachers are doing well.

What part of Canada? My wife is from Vancouver Island.
And then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Marauder Moe

« Reply #223 on: October 11, 2018, 02:01:49 PM »
After a fight, I was told "You can movie pretty quick for a big dude."

My shoulder still hurts a bit sometimes.  I've probably done some lasting, if not permanent, damage, but it's not causing any movement or lifting problems.

roughneck

« Reply #224 on: October 11, 2018, 02:11:03 PM »

Yep, agree whole heartedly. The video library is so that we can teach the moon's and keep each facet or variation strong. It's so us teachers are doing well.

What part of Canada? My wife is from Vancouver Island.

On the Toronto side.

Also, your job sounds better than mine. Getting paid to learn and train and stay in shape.