Priorities as a community

Started by Aruven, June 18, 2015, 02:38:53 PM

What are your areas of specific interest you want to see staff dig into?

Economy reform
25 (39.7%)
Code related reforms (combat maybe?)
19 (30.2%)
GDB reforms
2 (3.2%)
Clan related reforms (Docs? maybe)
8 (12.7%)
Others?
9 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Voting closed: June 21, 2015, 02:38:52 PM

I voted for combat, but economy runs a very close second. I mostly voted for combat because I'd really just like things to be common sense, and as anyone who actually pays attention to combat knows, it's not exactly common sense.

The economy, though, would make me happy as hell too.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: Synthesis on June 18, 2015, 11:36:26 PM
Quote from: Iiyola on June 18, 2015, 11:28:10 PM
The GDB has been an eye sore to me. It still looks like it's from the 90's, despite the awesome, professional main page.

What are forums supposed to look like, these days?
I'm all but a web designer but the ones that I visit are easier on the eyes. The background/fond/header look professional (much like armageddon.org) and I find them easier to use. Perhaps it's because I'm a PhpBB fan (https://www.phpbb.com/community/).
Sometimes, severity is the price we pay for greatness

Quote from: Iiyola on June 19, 2015, 03:25:37 AM
Quote from: Synthesis on June 18, 2015, 11:36:26 PM
Quote from: Iiyola on June 18, 2015, 11:28:10 PM
The GDB has been an eye sore to me. It still looks like it's from the 90's, despite the awesome, professional main page.

What are forums supposed to look like, these days?
I'm all but a web designer but the ones that I visit are easier on the eyes. The background/fond/header look professional (much like armageddon.org) and I find them easier to use. Perhaps it's because I'm a PhpBB fan (https://www.phpbb.com/community/).

Eww, gross. That looks horrid, imo.

Code reform, the black and white of guilds and branches has been too static for too long. More freeform mundane classes, and overhaul spells/branches into something like I saw in another game that I thought was tight. When all of your spells combined totalled X, you'd branch a spell randomly, then when the total of all spell skills combined equaled Y, another random branch. So you could have a weird combination of unpredictable spells on mage characters. Personally I think all of the guilds are so stale at this point I can guild sniff people within 5 seconds of seeing their combat. I wish the game was less predictable in this way. The extended subguilds did a lot in the way of surprises but not nearly enough imo.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Quote from: Majikal on June 19, 2015, 03:41:27 AM
Code reform, the black and white of guilds and branches has been too static for too long. More freeform mundane classes, and overhaul spells/branches into something like I saw in another game that I thought was tight. When all of your spells combined totalled X, you'd branch a spell randomly, then when the total of all spell skills combined equaled Y, another random branch. So you could have a weird combination of unpredictable spells on mage characters. Personally I think all of the guilds are so stale at this point I can guild sniff people within 5 seconds of seeing their combat. I wish the game was less predictable in this way. The extended subguilds did a lot in the way of surprises but not nearly enough imo.

I like the idea of the random branching spells concept. I wouldn't mind doing away with "elementalists" all together in favor of a "magicker class". Something more akin in general to your typical fantasy style "wizards". Branching random spells to make each magicker unique and useful in different ways not predetermined by their "elemental selection" seems pretty boss in my opinion.

I don't like the idea of taking away the mundane classes in favor of a freeform skill-based system.

I've played several other games like that. What all of them always ended up with was people picking the, "Most powerful combination", and eventually everyone was pretty much the exact same character.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Crimcode.  You shouldn't have to stand around getting firebombed inside your clan hall and still be flagged wanted if you attack!  Some kind of thing to make it easy for staff to modify crimcode behavior for in-city combat rpts.  It's got to be as frustrating for them as it is for us.

Quote from: Refugee on June 19, 2015, 11:01:42 AM
Crimcode.  You shouldn't have to stand around getting firebombed inside your clan hall and still be flagged wanted if you attack!  Some kind of thing to make it easy for staff to modify crimcode behavior for in-city combat rpts.  It's got to be as frustrating for them as it is for us.

Yeah, I bet they are looking at that after the last round of RPTs. A lot of that was just plain silly chaos. It was fun, don't get me wrong, but tiptoeing around the crimcode not acting realistically WAS tedious for everyone...probably especially for staff.

I think the ability to just turn it off all together in situations like that might be useful. When the streets are straight chaos like that, I wouldn't mind seeing all crim code turned off to reflect, "The chaos of the city and its soldiers going -every man for himself-.". With tens of thousands of VNPCs going nuts, those soldiers probably aren't noticing everything everyone does immediately in terms of the handful of PC's online.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

I think I'd most like to see more world updates still.  Items, rooms, NPCs, etc.

*Re-evaluate the Allanak tavern situation.  I still feel like there are enough characters in the social strata between Bynners and nobles that Allanak needs 3 public taverns.
*Clean up some of Allanak's battle damage.  Those sewer holes are literally a King's Age old.  Update the region in general to reflect the removal of that pesky volcano.
*Update trade routes.  If not an actual road, alternate paths should certainly have been better worn-in and/or marked over the last age as the North Road got busted up.
*Elementalists Quarter still has some inconsistencies since the last "update" to the temples.  Clean out the wandering mundane NPCs.  I don't like the idea of merging all the temples, but a common area where it is clearly OK to practice magick would be interesting.  Finish fixing the "thrice the height of three half-giants" wall descriptions.
*Fire pistons items!
*More cloaks!  Cloaks are the most visible piece of gear people wear and I think there should be a lot more variety available.  Maybe, at least, change the custom tailored cloaks to be actually desirable by adding pockets and a hood.

Second choice would be code updates.  As mentioned, combat (skill progression) code and crimcode are definitely big ones.

Crimcode.

Oooh!  I change my vote!

Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

Wow. An in depth crim code would be bonkers.

This was not a bug, the code worked as designed.  It is not the best code, nor may it be how you would code it, but that does not make it a bug.
Be gentle. I had a Nyr brush with death that I'm still getting over.

Haha. No.

I'm not voting, but I'll put a bit of two cents in.  The game is a fine balancing act along with antiquated code that can be difficult to work with.  Thankfully though there has been some awesome progress in painful areas.

I personally think the economy could use some work, but economy, like most things, is a very careful balancing act.  Take too much, Newbs suffer or all players suffer... though this may not be a bad idea.  Add too much, everything becomes too easy.  Some will argue that it is already easy, well, that is because we that have been here a long time know how to utilize it.  Now this of course is my opinion, not the view of staff a whole.  I do enjoy reading constructive criticism for sure though.
Ourla:  You're like the oil paint on the canvas of evil.

June 19, 2015, 02:30:49 PM #41 Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 02:33:29 PM by KankWhisperer
Quote from: Marauder Moe on June 19, 2015, 11:17:39 AM
*Update trade routes.  If not an actual road, alternate paths should certainly have been better worn-in and/or marked over the last age as the North Road got busted up.
;)

I'm OK with things being hard. As for newbs, I don't really think a complete greenhorn should be trying to indie it from the start anyway. I'd rather they be intimidated and seek company or a clan to survive. Groups are where you discover what Armageddon is any way, as far as culture and mores and commonplace world information  goes.

Quote from: Asanadas on June 19, 2015, 12:13:08 PM
This was not a bug, the code worked as designed.  It is not the best code, nor may it be how you would code it, but that does not make it a bug.
I wasn't saying it was a bug, I'm saying I'd like the code to work differently.  This thread wasn't a thread about what we think are bugs...

Never fear, Refugee, Asanadas was being lovably snarky.

Quote from: Refugee on June 19, 2015, 03:27:23 PM
I wasn't saying it was a bug, I'm saying I'd like the code to work differently.  This thread wasn't a thread about what we think are bugs...
Noted.
Be gentle. I had a Nyr brush with death that I'm still getting over.

Yeeaaaah, I understand the sentiment and all...

But in a game like this, I feel like the first character should end up as an eye-opener that things are actually hard, not as a supportive 'See?  You can do it!'
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

When your character is starving and thirsty, I think they've figured out they need help, Addict.

I was agreeing with you on the indie thing and saying them having to get into a group is good.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Oh. Heh. I'm sorry.