Combat Skill Progression Revamped

Started by Clearsighted, June 04, 2015, 07:28:05 PM

Quote from: Synthesis on June 09, 2015, 06:48:24 PM
That seems like a really good way to generate butt-hurt about cliques and favoritism (real or imagined).

Virtual training is an interesting concept, but I pretty much have to agree with this. Also, I think it's a bit too elaborate a system for what basically only applies to combat skills.

I think the only thing combat skills needs is to have partial failures implemented (and then tweaked accordingly based on what circumstances allow for a partial failure, and how many it takes to equal a conventional failure).

This would keep it within the current paradigm of all other skills in the game.

I agree that if this is considered a real problem that needs fixing, the best way to fix it would be to change what counts as a failure for the skills in question.  Everything else is varying degrees of contrived.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

I think revamping the idea of failure and what that is is absolutely the best and simplest idea, but I'd absolutely love for military clans to impart something on their members. For crafters, joining the Great Houses allows you to make things that you'd not have the knowledge/tools/resources to build otherwise via clan-only recipes.

The Byn gets Sand Kick, which blinds you. Tor Scorpions get Double-Parry, a passive second chance on all parry attempts. Oashi Elites get the mage-killer tactic Fore Strike, a backstab usable in combat. Fale Whatsits gets the feint skill Dazzle, putting their humanoid target off balance. Borsail Wyverns get the capture skill Hamstring, which keeps their target from moving. The Militia get Low Blow, a skill which allows them to make a strike which dazes their humanoid target.

Of course these are contrived, but the idea? I like it a lot.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Blegh, the unique-clan-craftables thing is stupid in the first place.  I'd rather not see that paradigm extended.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.