Discussion and questions about zone save changes.

Started by Nathvaan, March 30, 2015, 07:41:04 AM

March 30, 2015, 07:41:04 AM Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 07:45:15 AM by Nathvaan
Per this announcement: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,49078.0.html

Here is your place to discuss!

This is awesome. But if the save cycles cut down to 2 minutes are the odds of killing a baddie and then bumping into its respawn going to go up significantly?

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on March 30, 2015, 07:53:05 AM
This is awesome. But if the save cycles cut down to 2 minutes are the odds of killing a baddie and then bumping into its respawn going to go up significantly?

Wonderful question and something I wasn't very clear on so I will clarify!

Save rooms will save VERY quickly.
All other zone resets will be faster but in the order of magnitude of over an hour, not quickly like save rooms.

I know code testing likely has been done, but has load testing on the server been done?  I'm curious if this might cause undue lag on the server.
A staff member sends:
     "Looks like you introduced him to *puts on sunslits* the school of hard Knoxx.  YEEEEAAAAAAH"

Quote from: JustAnotherGuy on March 30, 2015, 08:19:22 AM
I know code testing likely has been done, but has load testing on the server been done?  I'm curious if this might cause undue lag on the server.

Load testing was done against a current copy of the database (with all your junk) and on a lower performing server.  Rest assured we are watching out for lag related to the saves and can adjust the timers accordingly (without a reboot).

Also, the phone in your pocket is more powerful than the machine that was running Armageddon back when disk IO was a serious concern.  I don't have any concerns about lag but we will keep watching for it!

This makes me very happy.

I've never lost anything in a crash, as far as I can recall, but I like the idea of encountering more beasties in the wild.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

If there are only as many save rooms as I think there are (like what? around 40ish?) and then all of the players, and the saving is staggered across all objects, I don't imagine it would create any disk or network latency. However, if every player is saving every time they type get/put/inv...maybe?

Also, yes, this is awesome. I'm glad to see creature respawns go up, because especially since more people are around these days, life can be hard for a group of hunters. More goods and coins will flow, and more fun will be had! Also, I hope to see certain areas become more dangerous, perhaps, as a result!

Cool update.

Question: By "cycle clock" do you mean like an internal heartbeat? Otherwise, I would be very confused as to what the developers of DiKU were thinking when they wrote the lib. I guess I'm not a developer of the late 80s, though.

Quote from: Jeax on March 30, 2015, 08:26:11 AM
If there are only as many save rooms as I think there are (like what? around 40ish?) and then all of the players, and the saving is staggered across all objects, I don't imagine it would create any disk or network latency. However, if every player is saving every time they type get/put/inv...maybe?

Also, yes, this is awesome. I'm glad to see creature respawns go up, because especially since more people are around these days, life can be hard for a group of hunters. More goods and coins will flow, and more fun will be had! Also, I hope to see certain areas become more dangerous, perhaps, as a result!

Cool update.

Question: By "cycle clock" do you mean like an internal heartbeat? Otherwise, I would be very confused as to what the developers of DiKU were thinking when they wrote the lib. I guess I'm not a developer of the late 80s, though.

Your estimation of save rooms is off by roughly an order of magnitude, believe it or not. Remember there are tents, wagons, apartments, GMHs, Nobility, warehouses and staff rooms etc. in the list as well.

To answer the question, yes they programmed the internal clock (heartbeat if you will) for the game as a function of how many times it goes through the cycle.  I can't say I fully understand either!

This is a very good update which I'm sure will help a lot release the burden of reimbursements for both players and staffers. Great update!

Will this at all affect this feature of tents (from HELP tent)?

Please do not use tent items on a permanent basis. Tents that are pitched for long periods of time can be buggy, which can lead to the tent and everything in it to be deleted.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Quote from: nauta on March 30, 2015, 10:58:12 AM
Will this at all affect this feature of tents (from HELP tent)?

Please do not use tent items on a permanent basis. Tents that are pitched for long periods of time can be buggy, which can lead to the tent and everything in it to be deleted.

Not really a feature so much as a constraint, but no, that particular problem is unrelated.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

This will make many things so much easier.  I don't know what zones and timers and cycles are but I know I hate loosing all that stuff all the time. Thanks.
At your table, the XXXXXXXX templar says in sirihish, echoing:
     "Everyone is SAFE in His Walls."

Could this be a step toward making all rooms save rooms?

We'd need a way to mass junk gith gear though ;)

Nice.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Quote from: Delirium on March 30, 2015, 11:55:46 AM
Could this be a step toward making all rooms save rooms?

We'd need a way to mass junk gith gear though ;)

Or, a coded item that can make a temporary save room??? Kind of like a tent, but something more general that you could put in a clan barracks or kitchen when events happen, etc.

But uh, that digresses from the point of this thread. Great addition! =)
"And all around is the desert; a corner of the mournful kingdom of sand."
   - Pierre Loti

Maybe items in "non-save" rooms could just disappear after 1 ingame week into the forage artifacts database for that room, where they linger for a set amount of time before being wiped from the database entirely. But this is a bit of a derail and I'm excited that reimbursement requests could be a thing of the past. Yay!

It sounds to me that items in "non-save" rooms might be disappearing a lot faster, since those rooms are resetting more quickly. Is that a correct assumption?

I look forward to seeing how this plays out in game!

Quote from: BadSkeelz on March 30, 2015, 12:40:25 PM
I look forward to seeing how this plays out in game!

Next group of folks to ride into the Red Desert die to a group of 100 raptors.

NPCs don't load in such a way where they are just going to reproduce endlessly, so I wouldn't be too worried about "raptor packs" out in the Red Desert any more than you have in the past.  ;-)

The difference you might notice is that if you clear a path on your way from Allanak to Luirs, hang out for a couple hours, and ride back south - the raptors you killed on your way north may have repopulated.

Will this make burying items in random places a liability?
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Quote from: Patuk on March 30, 2015, 12:52:44 PM
Will this make burying items in random places a liability?

I believe that this particular system is also unrelated to zone saves.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Two real questions, regarding this:

1. Weather -- is this going to change weather timing? I would assume this is related to zones.

2. NPCs that pick stuff up -- Is this going to increase the tick in which they will steal your things?