Elf racial running

Started by MeTekillot, February 09, 2015, 01:12:07 PM

Make running a racial skill for elves. D-elves get it at master at chargen. C-elves, if they run in the desert a lot for whatever reason, would actually be able to be cocky about running and actually be able to do it if they run enough,

This would fix so many things and ensure that I actually play elves.

BUT METEKILLOT THE ELVES WILL TAKE OVER EVERYTHING!!1!
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

I really liked this idea before and I still like it, and humans should get it too at a lower cap, and so on and so fourth!! and maybe there could be a "fitness" skill that functions like a generalized, small boost to strength and endurance.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Let's focus on elves for now.

... ....  :'(
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Sarcasm aside, I agree elves need boosting.

Quote from: MeTekillot on February 09, 2015, 01:12:07 PM
Make running a racial skill for elves. D-elves get it at master at chargen. C-elves, if they run in the desert a lot for whatever reason, would actually be able to be cocky about running and actually be able to do it if they run enough,

This would be the most elegant solution, but it isn't 100% necessary to fix the problem.  C-elves could just be given something that's half as a effective as desert-elf running and call it a day, and it'd be a marked improvement over the current situation.

February 09, 2015, 05:49:08 PM #8 Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 05:51:10 PM by CodeMaster
I tentatively agree that city elves could probably use a little something.

Not to get too deep into mechanics, but if you look back over the gdb you can see a number of changes that adversely affect C-elfs (clan closures, wisdom nerf, perceived nerf of agility in combat/perceived bolstering of strength in combat).  But there are also some that benefit them, sometimes implicitly (added functionality to sleight of hand where agility probably plays a role; changes to the steal code; elven family rolecalls sanctioned).

I guesstimate the net effect is that they are less codedly powerful than they were in years past.  Codedly unpowerful to the extent that this second-most-populous-race is far more rarely played than it once was.

But I don't think desert running enhancements are the key.  Making long-lived city-elves better approximations of desert elves would serve to displace them from their city niche (serving as a a reviled underclass that helps to underscore the notions of racial tension and poverty inside Zalanthan settlements).  I think that niche is essential to the game, and pseudo desert elves don't fill it as well.

So, if anything, I think it would be a better change to give them something that added depth to their niche in the city.  Giving them some appropriate clans to join would probably help, but since we're talking about a coded change:

Make them excellent climbers (this seems really appropriate, to me - they have exemplary physical builds for climbing, with light frames and long arms).  Then build on this and give them a "thief's highway" (rooftop network) they can travel on that nobody else can, maybe with jumps that only city-elves can make, etc.
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

At this point we're more likely to just get rid of them altogether than get any direct changes enacted for their benefit.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on February 09, 2015, 05:54:58 PM
At this point we're more likely to just get rid of them altogether than get any direct changes enacted for their benefit.

We keep approving those dwarves with the focus to wipe out all elves, but somehow it's not working out like we'd hoped :(
Quote from: Decameron on September 16, 2010, 04:47:50 PM
Character: "I've been working on building a new barracks for some tim-"
NPC: "Yeah, that fell through, sucks but YOUR HOUSE IS ON FIREEE!! FIRE-KANKS!!"

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on February 09, 2015, 05:54:58 PM

I agree with whoever above: if you give c-elves desert running, we won't have city elves any more.  As it stands, most city elves move to red storm anyway, because let's be honest about what interaction options those two city elves have in Nak and that one city elf has up in Tuluk.

I'm late to the party, but here's a hunch about the backstory: at some point elves were way more codedly powerful than humans (maybe even now they still are) and this caused some twink griefing or at least made it too easy to twink grief.  Staff had a look, and have slowly been rolling back c-elves at least to make them less twink-griefalicious.  However, now c-elves are just miserable little runts who only masochists play solo RP with for flavor.

If that's even close to the ballpark, what about this to get more c-elves in game (because I love the flavor of scummy c-elves): make them codedly as powerful or even weaker than humans on all levels and give them a clan (make all PC c-elves part of the same tribe).

as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

February 09, 2015, 06:19:25 PM #12 Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 06:25:48 PM by wizturbo
Family role calls for city elves could make them a lot more fun...as long as those family members stick around.

Also, to be clear, I'm not saying give city elves full on desert elf running.  Give them some weaker, bastardized version of it, if they train for it.

I don't think they'd turn into desert elves, considering they get like, on average, 60-100 less stamina points than d-elves. I may be wrong, but d-elves also get pretty solid stamina regen in the deserts that other races don't get.

Not to mention that delves just won't fricken lose stamina whilst strolling about outside.

Quote from: nauta on February 09, 2015, 06:05:22 PM
give them a clan (make all PC c-elves part of the same tribe).

Dude yes

I feel like city elves already get what they need from city running, they just need more reasons to avoid leaving the gates. But desert running at some level sounds like fun.
Eat your fries with mayonnaise next time

City Elves                                                            (Races)

Elves are the second most populous race on the face of Zalanthas.

a dwarf is here
a dwarf is here
a hg is here
a hg is here
a dwarf is here
a human is here
a human is here
a half elf is here

You think:
"Bullshit."

Takes a special type of player to make a c-elf, unfortunately those players are few and far between. Players that REALLY get elves always bring a lot of interesting shit to the table, wish there was a reason to be more into making one. =(
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

If MUDding did not attract masochists in general, I don't think there'd be celves at all, no.

Quote from: Majikal on February 09, 2015, 09:01:32 PM
   Elves are the second most populous race on the face of Zalanthas.

You think:
"Bullshit."

Maybe they're just making use of max hide and sneak?

February 09, 2015, 09:10:49 PM #19 Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 09:14:22 PM by Dresan
You know the riding skill, charge and trample are such powerful abilities so I'm not really sure why I would take the ability to run vs the ability to ride but I would. The idea of running wild and free, and not be restricted like d-elves to one isolated location is tempting.

I wouldn't mind c-elves getting a decent ability to run (or maybe just walk) in the wilderness, not be faster at moving from room to room than running beetles but keep up at least with walking one. However it should come with the very strict restriction, that they had absolutely no ability to sneak or hide in the desert. Increasing the penalties for them using city sneak and hide as well. They would also not be allowed to pick any subguild and/or extended subguild that would give them either of those abilities.  

At the end of the day though I still feel c-elves need to be completely re-conned though, fit them back into society and clans much like dwarves and half-elves.

Celf rangers are already disallowed, so your fears of celves skulking about in the wilderness with their paltry movement points are already mostly applicable. They could get subg_outdoorsman or something similar I guess, but I doubt staff are going to allow such a combination, too.

That is such a weird thing to be afraid of.

I like the idea of running becoming a skill in general. More so for Delves.

February 09, 2015, 10:12:13 PM #24 Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 10:16:17 PM by Dresan
I think any combination of wilderness hide/sneak +running ability is powerful. I believe too powerful for a 0-karma class.

When a human/dwarf/half-elf use wilderness sneak/hide, they often are risking leaving their mounts vulnerable for anyone to see or stumble on to. Otherwise if they are on foot, everyone has heavy movement penalties, and generally getting caught resting or in a tent without a mount or being in running distance of the city is probably going to get you killed. That is basically the drawback of 0-karma classes trying to sneak/hide in lawless wilderness areas. I suppose it is currently great if you just want to harass new characters at the salt flats or somewhere close to the city, kinda lame to do but to each their own.

Maybe that is just my opinion but I just thinking staff must have their reasons as to why d-elves are so completely restricted in terms of where they can travel, so much so that I can't remember the last d-elf PC I saw after the red fangs events. Maybe I just don't spend enough time at Luirs.