Crafting with fire!

Started by Nathvaan, September 15, 2014, 08:43:35 AM

What it does:
Allows crafting recipes to require a fire in the room.

Key aspects of this feature:
When attempting recipes that require a fire the game will look through the room's contents for a lit fire.

Existing crafting recipes have not been retrofitted with this as of now, but this is now an option, going forward.  We will make sure to update everyone if there is a choice to take on the project to retro-fit some recipes!

Whoa. What? No way! So awesome. Retrofit everything!
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Will a torch or lantern work??
You say, out of character:
     "Ouch, that's harsh."

Someone says, out of character:
     "Welcome to Armageddon."

Quote from: Tainted Love on September 15, 2014, 10:02:31 AM
Will a torch or lantern work??

Nope, recipes that are made to require a fire will require a lit campfire type of object to be in the room when trying to craft the item.

I actually like this idea. UnReal world in my armageddon? Yes please :D

Ovens and fireplaces that are included in room descriptions, whether or not they are codedly there? If they're in the desc but not codedly there, would bugging it to get it codedly put there, allow for them to function as "fires" for this code change? So far as I know, oven objects can't be lit or extinguished - they're there as a RP prop. But now that fires can be made "required" for certain crafts, what will be done about this, if anything?
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Does "fire" count as one of the five ingredients or is it separate?
"Let sleeping characters sleep naked." -Azroen

Quote from: Lizzie on September 15, 2014, 10:14:31 AM
Ovens and fireplaces that are included in room descriptions, whether or not they are codedly there? If they're in the desc but not codedly there, would bugging it to get it codedly put there, allow for them to function as "fires" for this code change? So far as I know, oven objects can't be lit or extinguished - they're there as a RP prop. But now that fires can be made "required" for certain crafts, what will be done about this, if anything?

These objects could be modified to create the correct circumstances to allow for crafting with a fire present I am sure.  This may take a little more adjustments in the future, but it would be our intention to allow for previously RP props to allow cooking with fire where it makes sense.

Quote from: williamson on September 15, 2014, 10:15:08 AM
Does "fire" count as one of the five ingredients or is it separate?

It does not!  It will state something to the effect of "You'll need a fire to do that." when you try to craft something that requires fire and one is not present.

The wife and I were just talking about how we hate people cooking with no fire in the room. Yes please.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

+1 on this.  Like Lizzie, I'm curious if fire objects in the room desc will count.  If not, It'd be nice to have coded campfires easier to make (e.g. not require a certain material that only exists really far away), and more fire objects [e.g, a bunch of rags in a bone bucket], esp. in the rinth.  I'm not keen on sneaking a grill or a load of lumber into the narrows.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Quote from: nauta on September 15, 2014, 10:44:56 AM
+1 on this.  Like Lizzie, I'm curious if fire objects in the room desc will count.  If not, It'd be nice to have coded campfires easier to make (e.g. not require a certain material that only exists really far away), and more fire objects [e.g, a bunch of rags in a bone bucket], esp. in the rinth.  I'm not keen on sneaking a grill or a load of lumber into the narrows.

Initially they will not count, because we will need to retrofit those locations to count where possible.  Please feel free to use the bug command in game if you think you should be able to use the room as a campfire crafting location.  We will look into it and get it squared away if it is deemed appropriate.

As to easier access to campfires, I think you might want to look no further than your nearest stables.  There is PLENTY of fire making material just laying around!

Awesome change :) Retrofitting it would be neat!

I like this change, thank you!
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Being that I've never once crafted a fire in-game(and also had no idea you could make poop-fires) I'm sort of meh with this idea.

Especially when my advanced cooking is still dropping my fruits into the void 60% of the time or burn my steaks to a crisp. Maybe fix that first before making it even MORE tedious than it already is.

I would have imagined places like the fire pits in the Gaj room having a +cooking bonus from the room, and most locations with +cooking to have a fire in them already.  Couldn't you just make the code look for a lit fire, or +cooking from the room?
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

Will clan halls be retrofitted to include a fire pit or some such for their crafters?

If you critically fail at cooking now, do you risk setting yourself on fire?

I'm concerned how this change will effect wilderness cooking.  Are or will campfires be relatively easy to make?  I don't know if they currently utilize things like dung and other resources, It'd even be cool if cooking meat on hot stones heated from the sun would be an option.
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

Quote from: BadSkeelz on September 15, 2014, 01:13:09 PM
If you critically fail at cooking now, do you risk setting yourself on fire?

lulz Yes pls.

It'd be cool if Krathis (and sorcerers?) had a way to facilitate cookfires when needed.
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

I like this idea.  No further comments to add until I start playing with it, IG.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.