Traps

Started by RogueGunslinger, July 16, 2014, 09:50:29 PM

A long while back the Trap skill was removed. Well for the sake of spicing things, why not add it back with a bit of a twist!

I present to you Needle Traps:

In real life authorities constantly have to deal with issues of criminals affixing needles and razors to clothing or bags for the specific intention of harming them when they perform a search. Every police officer is trained how to specifically pat down and search people in order to not be injured by such devices.

use trap bag

>Ouch! you poke yourself trying to get the needle into a seam.

es trap
>You hold your small needle trap.

use trap bag
>You successful trap a smelly large bag.

l in bag
>In a smelly large bag (inventory) :
a smelly coil of feces
a couple puce-hued pieces of shit
you notice: a small needle trap.

So the skill would allow pickpockets and burglars to place small little traps in a pack. They would be invisible without the trap skill, or them being used(stabbing someone) once. There could be multiple effects.

-Small amounts of damage (3-7).

-Forcing someone to drop everything in their inventory(including the trapped bag, so the person being searched could grab it and run off).

-Anti-theft countermeasure. It will give them away if they try to steal something from the bag. Possibly stop the attempt altogether.

-Poison delivery.

Safely getting items(or the trap itself) would require the trap skill or slight of hand. If a bag/pack is emptied out the trap stays in, but the contents fall out, giving militia a pretty simply get-around.

Oh, I'm down.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Awesome idea!  +1
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

July 17, 2014, 12:26:38 AM #3 Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 12:31:56 AM by a french mans shirt
This is beautiful and needs to have an apartment you just rented filled with that shit and you'd be all, Oh... shit.

Also, pissing Templars off in ways not involving just words.
Do yourself a favor, and play Resident Evil 4 again.

Also room for the possibility to >Plant trap noble's satchel

Ever since traps were removed I've been thinking about them too.  Particularly what really useful function they could serve? You know sometimes people in this game walk from one place to the other without even stopping. I always wished there was some way of slowing a person down.

I do like the needle idea. I don't know how realistic this would be but I'm imagine something like this:

You attempt to trap room using a sharp long obsidian nail.

You carefully wedge the nail into the ground, with a sharp spike pointing upwards dangerously.

Depending on your skill, the first person walking in would have a good chance to step on the needle/nail, making them fall and lagging them severely. Damage would be minimal if any but they would end up sitting/resting. The needle/nail could  be poisoned as well. The trap would restricted to  indoors rooms like in apartment halls, apartments or such.  Lagging the person long enough for you to kill them before they log out or robbing them in the hall as they head to their apartment. It would require patience but as the skill suggests it would be basically a trap, if they step on it you win, if they don't well you are probably hidden out of sight anyways.  The wilderness version of it would work in the desert and basically work on mounts, the mount walking into the room, stepping into a trap, knocking their rider off before running off and with the right poison, potentially killing it too after it stops randomly several rooms away.

So basically my version of trap would allow a player to slow people down long enough to interaction with them in some way. Again not sure how realistic it is, but that's what I wish its function basically was

Trap bags with spiders and scorpions.

Trap doors with falling objects.

Trap outdoor rooms with pitfalls.

Trap the forest with spring type traps, using suggested foilage and rope.

Trap animals so they can't run.

Trap pet objects.

Yes, trap has plenty of non flash powder uses that should be utilized.

Trap could be counteracted by 'Search' (which is an under utilized skill as it is). Much in the same way Hide is counteracted by Scan. If you laid the trap yourself, you could check what traps you laid by using >trap (object)

Trap could allow a few dozen things, not involving flash powder.

>pull hair

You tug out a piece of your hair.

>trap door hair

You wet part of the doorframe with your saliva, and lay the hair across it.

>trap door

You stuck some hair across the doorframe.

--

You come back later, and check and see if anyone's been in while you've been away...

>trap door

You stuck some hair across the doorframe.

or

A piece of hair is sticking away from the doorframe.

Huh, seems you're in the clear. Or are you? If the trap wasn't successful, it may provide a false negative, or a false positive.

----

>poison needle grishen

You coat the needle with a dose of grishen.

>trap backpack grishen

You lay the needle across the clasp of the backpack.

>close backpack

You close the backpack.

---

>trap door wedge

You jam a wedge under the door

---

>trap door lockpick

You jam the lock pick in the door and break it off.

---
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Yesss.... Yessssss. All of this I want it all.

I have to go change my underwear now.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

>trap mount knife

Success:
You slice the reins on the mount's saddle.

(Next Person to ride it gets a message about the reins being cut, and has a huge chance of being kicked from the mount).

Failure:
You slice the reins on the mount's saddle.
(Next Person to ride it gets a message about the reins being cut, but they noticed before it became a problem.)

If done in a populated area, chance of Crime Code kicking in. If in unpopulated area/clan area, smaller chance.

---
skill TrapMaking
>craft bone
You could make a small bone snare

(Use Defense/Dodging skill to avoid a snare when entering a room. Otherwise, create a large delay for the target. Critical fail to escape requires target to 'break snare', which uses the subdue code to escape. Drops to the room as hidden, and can be found by 'Search'.)

>craft bone
You could make a doorframe catch

>craft bone
You could make a small bone lever

>craft catch lever
You could craft a drop catch trap

>put vial trap
You put a vial of acid/poison into the trap.

(When door is opened, lever scoots a container's contents over the first person to enter.)

---

craft numut 2.numut 3.numut
You lash the rope together and make a numut swing cage

craft bone into trigger pin
You craft a trigger pin

>trap branch
You find a suitable branch and pull it down.

>trap pin cage
You pull a branch down, tie it with some rope, and set a cage.

(Next person to walk into the room must make a defense/subdue/dodge check to avoid the trigger pin. If sneaking into the room, 100% does not set off pin. If goes visible after that, sets off pin the same way. Search reveals the pin, if successful. If failure, target is peraine-incapacitated for 1 hour IG (10 RL Minutes). After that, they can attempt to break the 'subdue attempt' and suffer moderate stun/health damage from the drop).

---

>trap branch
You find a suitable branch and pull it down.

>trap branch stone
You affix a stone to the end of the branch.

>trap branch rope
You affix a rope to the end of the branch

>trap branch trigger
You set the trigger pin.

(Next person to walk into the room must make a defense/subdue/dodge check to avoid the trigger pin. If sneaking into the room, 100% does not set off pin. If goes visible after that, sets off pin the same way. Search reveals the pin, if successful. If they fail, a branch hits them in the chest, knocking them prone, and doing massive stun damage. Can only be done in certain wilderness rooms).
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

What about hunting traps and the like too? Not just trapping doors and bags and stuff, but trapping area's like a real hunter would.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

Traps for Snaring. (sit/rest)

Pit traps. (Damage)

Swinging log traps. (massive stun, probably only in the forest)

Snake traps?

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on July 17, 2014, 01:04:32 PM
Traps for Snaring. (sit/rest)

Pit traps. (Damage)

Swinging log traps. (massive stun, probably only in the forest)

Snake traps?

Pit o' snakes. *grins* Sooo cool.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

Trapping for Rangers might be just too much though...They're already pretty grand as a skill-set.

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: Reiloth on July 17, 2014, 03:09:59 PM
Trapping for Rangers might be just too much though...They're already pretty grand as a skill-set.

So what. The more the merrier. We can keep adding skills to the other classes to make up for that ;)

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on July 17, 2014, 03:13:40 PM
So what. The more the merrier. We can keep adding skills to the other classes to make up for that ;)

+1

Wouldn't mind a sub guild dedicated to trapping and not add it to ranger.

July 17, 2014, 10:06:16 PM #18 Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 10:16:14 PM by Dresan
How about this:

Trapping skill would be needed to set up indoor city traps since they would be more delicate, hidden and often contain poison. However at the highest levels of the skill trap-making, a person would be able to make large traps that would be useful against mounts. These traps would be set  in the wilderness and break after one use, they would be visible by people on foot, and easily destroyed by them too but if you ride into the room riding a mount, they could be set off. The idea being that the snares would trip mounts making the rider fall off and lagging them. They can be poisoned too, potentially killing the mount, or causing the mount to run away from anything (a new fear poison mentioned in the other thread).

In this way it doesn't need to be a skill rangers receive but at the same time the trap-making skill would eventually at its highest levels benefit any character that wishes to buy these (most likely very illegal) traps, so any character can still benefit from knowing an assassin or pickpocket. I also think trapping skill (which would be wisdom-based) would make the indoor hidden traps visible (if you skill/stat is greater then that the skill/stat of the person setting it) and if you can see it, you shouldn't set it off, and allow you to disarm them if need be, not really search (though its a nice idea).

Quote from: Dresan on July 17, 2014, 10:06:16 PM
How about this:

Trapping skill would be needed to set up indoor city traps since they would be more delicate, hidden and often contain poison. However at the highest levels of the skill trap-making, a person would be able to make large traps that would be useful against mounts. These traps would be set  in the wilderness and break after one use, they would be visible by people on foot, and easily destroyed by them too but if you ride into the room riding a mount, they could be set off. The idea being that the snares would trip mounts making the rider fall off and lagging them. They can be poisoned too, potentially killing the mount, or causing the mount to run away from anything (a new fear poison mentioned in the other thread).

In this way it doesn't need to be a skill rangers receive but at the same time the trap-making skill would eventually at its highest levels benefit any character that wishes to buy these (most likely very illegal) traps, so any character can still benefit from knowing an assassin or pickpocket. I also think trapping skill (which would be wisdom-based) would make the indoor hidden traps visible (if you skill/stat is greater then that the skill/stat of the person setting it) and if you can see it, you shouldn't set it off, and allow you to disarm them if need be, not really search (though its a nice idea).

I was just thinking of traps a hunger could use to you know... trap prey. Not thinking of things for people or people riding mounts, though they could be considered prey as well.

Hunters using traps... maybe. But in my experience animals don't move around TOO much on their own (depending on the area) for it to be like "trap snare" and then come back later to an angry goudra. I think it'd be NEAT to flesh it out more, but really... stalking prey and dropping an arrow into them like a sniper is pretty damned rewarding.

City based traps, to me, are somewhat similar. How do you set up a trap for that one person, or particular type of person, with soldiers that auto-wander and NPCs that never move? Door and Container Traps, maybe, to make it similar to the old code. Mild damage, ability to poison the obsidian or pymlithe nail at suuuuuuuuuper high levels (maybe forcing some interaction with someone with the poison skill). Even then though, thats a kind of engineering Zalanthas might not even really have. Maybe make it more into a crafting skill, a la "craft obsidian into large caltrops" which, when left of the ground have a chance to cause minor damage but a large amount of lag. Good for running OR waiting. Or maybe "craft obsidian 2.obsidian 3.obsidian plank into spike strip" that can be seen a room away, but on entering causes moderate damage to mounts or unmounted mobiles. I'm sure people can come up with better options, but I think making trap into a craft skill with unique flags or scripted uses might be more interesting.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

July 18, 2014, 04:46:22 AM #21 Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 04:51:21 AM by Dresan
I don't really think people need any help killing npc animals, I too feel the tools we currently have are efficient enough.

In my mind these wilderness snares would last an IC day before naturally fall apart becoming disarmed, this is just a way to prevent people from setting them up just to annoy others. They would last long enough for a couple of bushy bearded raiders to set them up in on a well traveled path in the wilderness before going out in a separate direction and just sitting down to watch two room away to see if they gets lucky that day. Hopefully they trip the mount of a lone hunter rather then a kuraci sergeant leading his entire unit on patrol.

City traps could have similar applications, most of them would work indoors, not out in the street with all the vnpc and npc wandering around. You could potentially use them offensively, setting them up outside or inside the apartment of a target, or maybe the halls hoping to see if you catch anyone randomly. However they could be used defensively too. You are breaking into a large apartment, why not set up a trap just at the entrance inside the place in case the owner comes back, giving you time get out and make a get away. You are about to kill someone at a distance attacking from inside a building or you are inside a building, then yeah I can see a trap like caltrops coming in handy.  As you are sniping someone, anyone running into the room trying to stop you or trying to get a look at you will be tripped and lagged, allowing you to finish the job before running away.  Those type of traps would not last long  an IC hour or two at the most due to the fact more then just PC are probably setting them off. Still i think they would be useful especially if different traps worked in different places and lasted different amounts of time.

I love the ideas here I really do. Honestly trapping needs to make a return for the sneakier classes as they are somewhat underwhelming and imo limited as opposed to other guilds.

As for giving Rangers more skills please no. They do have enough all ready and if they would like a trap they can buy one.

I don't know, "sneakier" classes keep getting lots of love. Now able to open things without being seen and all. Rangers haven't had anything new in a long time. And as primarily hunters if anyone should have a trap skill it should be rangers.

Staff might already have plans for trap...

Quote from: Nyr on March 06, 2013, 12:52:49 PM
Both of these have been removed from the game and both helpfiles have been modified.  We do have plans to revamp trap in the future, but its previous implementation relied on flash powder, which (in practice) did far more damage than the lore surrounding it indicated.

http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php?topic=45109.0

I love some of the ideas being discussed here, though.  Poisonous needle traps and hidden obsidian razorblades sounds very Zalanthas.
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"