Artifact Caches (AKA "Booty call")

Started by Tiernan, February 17, 2014, 10:32:21 AM

February 17, 2014, 10:32:21 AM Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 10:54:35 AM by Tiernan
Announcing a new feature in the 17 Feb 2014 release, which adds artifact caches to the world.

Want to bury your spice stash before entering Allanak?   Yes, you can!

Want to seek your fortune scavenging the wastes for profit?   Yes, you can!

Want to find a use for that antiquated 'search' skill?   Yes, well... okay that one's mostly on us.  But you get to enjoy the benefit!

Key aspects of this feature:

• PCs can bury items in a room, creating / adding to an artifact cache.  This is of course based on sector type, as you cannot bury things inside buildings and city streets, etc.
  • PCs can discover artifact caches using the 'search' skill.
  • PCs using 'forage artifact' will use the cache first before auto-generating code kicks in (where allowed).
  • Corpses will decay and deposit their contents into an artifact cache in certain sectors.

Associated helpfiles:

Notes:

• Buried items are only retrievable through the use of the 'forage artifact' skill.
  • Buried items do not persist over reboots, with the exception of anything buried in a room identified as a 'Save' room.
  • Bury items at your own risk! There are no guarantees against discovery by real or virtual characters of your artifact cache.
  • Do not taunt Happy, Fun Cache. *
  • If Happy Fun Cache begins to smoke, seek shelter and cover head. *

* Still legal outside both city-states.   Accept no substitutes.   Facetious comments apply where required by common sense.

OMG.  Thank you!
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

I was trying for a poetic reply to this, but instead I'll just put on my silt-hat, grab my skimmer and say:

"YAAAAARRRRR!!!"
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

I've wanted this forever. Thank you very much.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Can you bury containers with items in them?

Quote from: Desertman on February 17, 2014, 10:52:12 AM
Also, can you bury corpses?

Yes you can (if you can pick it up)!

Update: Tiernan totally beat me to it!

This is completely glorious.

Won't them pesky elves attempt to grief artifact-foragers by burying hundreds of pebbles? Not that there's anything wrong with that.
<Maso> I thought you were like...a real sweet lady.

Will there be more save rooms added to allow the burying of artifacts and neat stuff for people to find?

Quote from: Saellyn on February 17, 2014, 11:04:25 AM
Will there be more save rooms added to allow the burying of artifacts and neat stuff for people to find?

No additional building is planned to retrofit the world.

Wow thank you, this is amazing.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

One other note, is this going to allow search skill to be part of more guilds/sub/extended subguilds? For instance with this new feature I can think of a few of those that would naturally have the search skill.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

Quote from: slvrmoontiger on February 17, 2014, 11:13:10 AM
One other note, is this going to allow search skill to be part of more guilds/sub/extended subguilds? For instance with this new feature I can think of a few of those that would naturally have the search skill.

No, we're not adding it to Ranger, Outdoorsman or any other guild/subguild.   I think it's fine being part of the Scavenger subguild for anyone who wants to take up a career scavenging the wastes for booty.

Could it possibly be added to the Ext Subguild Grebber?  Unless it already is.

Wow, this is the best code addition ...  Ever.  I always thought it was a cool idea on the forums, but I never thought I'd see it!

Wow, this is a really cool concept that I have been kind of secretly hoping for forever.  Thanks staff who worked on this!
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Very neat! Thanks for the hard work!

- Irulan
Mal: "Well they tell you: never hit a man with a closed fist. But it is, on occasion, hilarious."
---
Inara: "Thank you for the wine. It's very... fresh."

Mal: "To Kaylee, and her inter-engine fermentation system."

Really love this concept but sorta sad that it doesn't exist through reboots.  Is there any way for us to put requests to get something more permanent with a cache?

Also, what happens if I bury a chest with a ton of stuff in it that I can't lift?  Does the item show up on the ground or go into my inventory? 
A staff member sends:
     "Looks like you introduced him to *puts on sunslits* the school of hard Knoxx.  YEEEEAAAAAAH"

Quote from: JustAnotherGuy on February 17, 2014, 11:48:43 AM
Really love this concept but sorta sad that it doesn't exist through reboots.  Is there any way for us to put requests to get something more permanent with a cache?

Also, what happens if I bury a chest with a ton of stuff in it that I can't lift?  Does the item show up on the ground or go into my inventory? 

From what was posted earlier, it seems to me that if you can't lift it, you can't bury it.

And things do persist through reboots..but, like everything else, only in save rooms.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

This is so amazing!!! This code addition opens up so many doors.

Damn it. I love this game. Great job guys!!

I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.