Discussion of changes to Armageddon Website

Started by Morgenes, April 01, 2013, 12:10:18 AM

Quote from: racurtne on April 29, 2013, 01:14:39 PM
Quote from: AreteX on April 29, 2013, 01:10:00 PM
I am not sure if this has been brought up already, but I find it a bit jarring that I can no longer middle-mouse click to open many of the website functions in a new tab.  This is how I view the interwebs, new tabs.  I dont always want to switch over my full screen.

Is there a way to have this shortcut click renabled?  This happens with Firefox.  I can still RIGHT click and then open in new tab, but that is just uncomfortable and sluggish!

It seems to work fine with Chrome.

You know how people are about their browsers... I can't be forced to switch!

Quote from: AreteX on April 29, 2013, 01:15:29 PM
You know how people are about their browsers... I can't be forced to switch!

+1
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

April 29, 2013, 01:19:44 PM #302 Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 01:53:02 PM by Morgenes
Apparently an issue with the framework we're using.  I'll try and patch a change this evening.

Edited: Fixed.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2013, 06:25:05 PM
Quote from: Maso on April 01, 2013, 05:50:15 PM
Just noticed there is no longer a way to submit Original Submissions (the current 'submissions' request under game used to just be for submissions in response to calls for things from the staff). Could we have an 'original submissions' request with a file upload?

Ya sorry, it was one of those things I figured could wait a few days till I had time to get back to it, then the database exploded and that was my weekend.

Is there an approved workaround for this in the interim?  Or should we just hold our freaking horses (and pictures, stories, songs, etc) and let you guys remake the world?   ;)
Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2016, 09:37:57 PM
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

I want to see a few pictures that were submitted. Or maybe I just want to see stories written by the same author. Or perhaps I want to see only things that were written during the time-frame that I had a particular character.

How do I do this on the new website? As I see it now, there is no method of sorting what you see. I tried doing a search on "pictures" after pulling up the submitted works page, and it gave me three stories with the word "picture" in them.

Also, I notice that when you click on submitted works, it loads up every single submitted work in the archives. Isn't that going to be really difficult for people with slow browsers, or even with not-so-fast wireless connections?
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

There is no way currently to filter by date.
Quote from: Lizzie on April 30, 2013, 07:44:45 AM
I want to see a few pictures that were submitted.

Type artwork into the search bar if you want to find artwork.

QuoteOr maybe I just want to see stories written by the same author.

Type the author's name into the search bar if you want to see stuff written or submitted by the same person.  You can also click their name and it will automatically show all works by that person.

QuoteOr perhaps I want to see only things that were written during the time-frame that I had a particular character.

You'll have to scroll down, unfiltered, to see stuff in reverse date order.  Sorry, there is no other filtering right now.

Also, I notice that when you click on submitted works, it loads up every single submitted work in the archives. Isn't that going to be really difficult for people with slow browsers, or even with not-so-fast wireless connections?

Can you elaborate?  I am not seeing this behavior on Firefox.  When I click on a picture it loads the picture.  There is no place for me to click on the other submissions anyway.  There isn't a stand-alone viewing window for viewing logs/stories/etc, but only the first "page" is loaded when you click "continue reading" (similar to how tumblr and I believe most twitter feeds are supposed to work).
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

April 30, 2013, 09:39:42 AM #306 Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 09:41:48 AM by Morgenes
Quote from: James de Monet on April 30, 2013, 05:02:09 AM
Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2013, 06:25:05 PM
Quote from: Maso on April 01, 2013, 05:50:15 PM
Just noticed there is no longer a way to submit Original Submissions (the current 'submissions' request under game used to just be for submissions in response to calls for things from the staff). Could we have an 'original submissions' request with a file upload?

Ya sorry, it was one of those things I figured could wait a few days till I had time to get back to it, then the database exploded and that was my weekend.

Is there an approved workaround for this in the interim?  Or should we just hold our freaking horses (and pictures, stories, songs, etc) and let you guys remake the world?   ;)

No, sorry, I haven't gotten back to this, it's on my list though.

I want to see a few pictures that were submitted. Or maybe I just want to see stories written by the same author. Or perhaps I want to see only things that were written during the time-frame that I had a particular character.

How do I do this on the new website? As I see it now, there is no method of sorting what you see. I tried doing a search on "pictures" after pulling up the submitted works page, and it gave me three stories with the word "picture" in them.

As Nyr mentioned, different filtering for Original Submissions is still in the works.

It's hidden behind the scenes like Facebook and other pages do, sometimes called 'infinite scroll'.  What's happening is we load up a certain amount of them, and as you scroll to the bottom of the page we load some more.  You aren't getting every submitted work ever when you first come to the page.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: Morgenes on April 29, 2013, 01:19:44 PM
Apparently an issue with the framework we're using.  I'll try and patch a change this evening.

Edited: Fixed.

huzzah!

Thanks for the tip on finding random artwork, Nyr, and for the explanation of infinite scroll, Morgenes. Am I understanding correctly based on Nyr's explanation on looking for things by date, that the most current submitted item was put on there December 6, 2012? I could've sworn there's been a few things added in the past 5 months, but the top item has that date - Sabers and Glory by Torgun , added 12/6/12.

That was the last.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

For those of you looking for better filtering options on the Original Submissions tool, hopefully the latest version will help.  Feel free to leave feedback on it here.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

May 01, 2013, 06:57:45 PM #311 Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 06:26:59 PM by Taven
This is a large post, so I apologize.

I noticed that a lot of people still seem to be linking the old website, so I decided to do a comparison between the old and new website to see if I could successfully find everything. These are my results. I have italicized things I could not find, or things that were off. Some might not be an issue, some might be intentional, and some may need fixing. Regardless, I hope this post is helpful to someone, at any rate.

Website Location and Content Comparison

Details for Main Website Links:

Page TitleWhat/WhyOld Website LocationNew Website Location
Allanaki NobilityShows chart of noble tiers, can't locate in newClick???
Allanaki RanktableShows social chart of ranks, can't locate in newClick???
AnimalsCan't be found by searching "animals"ClickClick
CitiesShows city informationClickClick
ClothingNew missing easy-reference tableClickClick
Fighting StylesShows fighting stylesClickClick
GamesThe new site was updated by Morg to include player-made games. Check it out!ClickClick
GemsOriginal file linked to minerals, new file notClickClick
GeographyNew has links to maps, only ASCIIClickClick
GuildsShows available guildsClickClick
SubguildsShows available subguildsClickClick
HistoryCan't find on new siteClick???
IllnessShows list of illnessesClickClick
JobsShows list of jobsClickClick
MagickShows magick stuffClickClick
Mechanics & SyntaxIn new site only "syntax" works, diff pageClickClick
Merchant Houses of ZalanthasIn new site lesser MH Voryek is missing; no help file for "Voryek"ClickClick
MineralsMinerals of ZalanthasClickClick
MusicNew page seems easier to use!ClickClick
MutantsNew website has no results for "mutants"Click???
Other StuffSee other tableClick???
PlantlifeNew website search for "plants"ClickClick
PlayertoolsBasically this is the login button on the new site----
PregnancyDoes not appear in new websiteClick???
RacesNew site has Biscuit's beautiful art!ClickClick
SeasoningsZalanthian SeasoningsClickClick
Senate in AllanakSeems intentionally cutClick???
Slaves & SlaveryCan't find corresponding page on new siteClick???
SuperstitionsCan't find corresponding page on new siteClick???
Tuluki RoleplaySeems gone from both sites404 Not Found???
Tuluki Caste TattoosCan't find corresponding page on new siteClick???
Tuluki NobilityCan't find search term for helpfilesClickMust look in clan section
Weekly UpdatesUpdates - New website helpfile system has linkClickClick
OOC DocumentationSee other tableClick???

• Note that use of the word "Qynar" doesn't seem to appear in docs, and is not found in any helpfile. The Tuluki Qynar are called "Regions".
  • "Noble" helpfile links only to southern noble houses

Details for "Mechanics and Syntax" page on old website and translation to new website:
(This section has been addressed by Morg)

Section TitleWhat/WhyOld Website LocationNew Website Location
Combat CommandsNew website no results "combat commands", linked results for "combat"ClickClick
Communication CommandsNew website no results "communication commands", linked results for "communication"ClickClick
Detection SystemNew website no results "detection system", no single page for "detection" - Fixed by MorgClickClick
The Emote SystemNew website results for "emote" w/ first page - Fixed by MorgClickClick
Miscellaneous CommandsCan't locate similar page on new site - Fixed by MorgClickClick
Movement CommandsNew website results for "movement" w/ first pageClickClick
Observation CommandsNew website only links to scan if "observation" is searched - Fixed by MorgClickClick
OOC CommandsNew website results for "ooc" only links to that command, not list of them - Fixed by MorgClickClick
Stealth CommandsNew website no single page results for "stealth" - Fixed by MorgClickClick
Thoughts & FeelingsNew website results for "think" - Fixed by Morg?ClickClick

• The commands for combat and communication seem harder to find/it takes longer - Working as intended
  • The emote command page covers less on the new website then the old--It's not in one place, the old page was set up to help newbies - Working as intended

Perhaps this is the proper counter part for the above?

Details for "Other Stuff" page on old website and translation to new website:

CriminalsAlso see Crime and JusticeClickClick
MeasurementMeasurement, Zalanthian StyleClickClick
NPCsNew website search results for "NPC", or "NPCs" ClickClick
PCsNote that new website search of "PC" works but not "Player Characters"ClickClick
TimeTime in ZalanthasClickClick
WeatherWeather in ZalanthasClickClick

Details for "OOC Documentation" page on old website and translation to new website:

Connection TroubleConnection Troubleshooting - New website does not have exactly, but has a guideClickClick
Contacting Staff"Contact" only leads to Way command, but "email" pops up on search - Linked hereClickClick
Game MechanicsCovered Elsewhere----
Game RulesRulesClickClick
KarmaKarma System404 Not FoundClick
OOC CommunicationCovers acceptable vs unacceptable on old, less so on newClickClick
Special CharactersNew Website just has "special applications", connected to character helpfileErrorClick
Staff ResponsibilitiesNew Website helpfile "staff" seems to link to similar info - Note that it is harder to find job of non-clan staffErrorClick
Update Weekly ArchiveCovered elsewhere----

As of February 2017, I no longer play Armageddon.

Quote from: Morgenes on April 30, 2013, 10:40:58 PM
For those of you looking for better filtering options on the Original Submissions tool, hopefully the latest version will help.  Feel free to leave feedback on it here.

Awesome, and SO easy to navigate now, thanks so much! I noticed two specific errors; one was with the story about Thrend Lyksae, by Tarx. When you mouse over it in the listing, it underlines all the lines. The other is the formatting of "'Twas the Night Before Githmas" by Sandy Claws

Epic list, Taven.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Quote from: Taven on May 01, 2013, 06:57:45 PM
This is a large post, so I apologize.

Quite the list, thanks for the analysis.  I worked on this one tonight:

Details for "Mechanics and Syntax" page on old website and translation to new website:
Most of these are under Gameplay.  I've marked the ones I've altered below with ;D

Combat CommandsNew website no results "combat commands", linked results for "combat"ClickClick
Communication CommandsNew website no results "communication commands", linked results for "communication"ClickClick
Detection SystemNew website no results "detection system", no single page for "detection"ClickClick ;D
The Emote SystemNew website results for "emote" w/ first pageClickClick ;D
Miscellaneous CommandsCan't locate similar page on new siteClickClick ;D
Movement CommandsNew website results for "movement" w/ first pageClickClick
Observation CommandsNew website only links to scan if "observation" is searchedClickClick ;D
OOC CommandsNew website results for "ooc" only links to that command, not list of themClickClick ;D
Stealth CommandsNew website no single page results for "stealth"ClickClick ;D
Thoughts & FeelingsNew website results for "think"ClickClick ;D

• The commands for combat and communication seem harder to find/it takes longer
Combat and Communication are areas we worked on trying to flesh out and organize things better.  Sorry you don't like the new way.

• The emote command page covers less on the new website then the old--It's not in one place, the old page was set up to help newbies

Try Emoting.

Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: Lizzie on May 01, 2013, 07:14:19 PM
Quote from: Morgenes on April 30, 2013, 10:40:58 PM

Awesome, and SO easy to navigate now, thanks so much! I noticed two specific errors; one was with the story about Thrend Lyksae, by Tarx. When you mouse over it in the listing, it underlines all the lines. The other is the formatting of "'Twas the Night Before Githmas" by Sandy Claws

Glad that helped you out.

I've fixed the two you pointed out.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: Morgenes on May 01, 2013, 10:54:39 PMQuite the list, thanks for the analysis.  I worked on this one tonight:

Wow, fast work! I haven't gotten to look at all the changes, but I did update my original post so that everyone can easily reference what has changed.  :)

The areas I noted as perhaps being a bit harder to navigate (the combat and communication sections), I noted as working as you guys intend them to. It's a lot of information, and I think it's all there; the organization is a personal preference thing.

• The emote command page covers less on the new website then the old--It's not in one place, the old page was set up to help newbies

Try Emoting.

The thing here seems to be that the page from the old site also covers how to include emotes in speech, movement, and looks. I finally discovered where it was in the new section, but it was not immediately obvious. I would recommend changing...

Quote from: http://www.armageddon.org/help/view/EmotingMany commands allow you to use a special syntax to include an emote before or after the normal output for the command. See 'help command emotes' for more details.

...to have an actual link to the Command Emote page, rather then saying "help command emotes" (if they try to search that, the command emote page won't come up).

Unrelated to everything else, I also found a typo, which I'll just post here (unless you'd rather have me file a request, which I'd be happy to do, but I figure you're reading this anyway).

Quote from: http://www.armageddon.org/help/view/emote%20examplesBad Example 7:

> emote laughs as ~red falls out of ^red seat, looking really ridiculous.

What is seen by the red-haired woman:

The lean man laughs as you falls out of your seat, look

I think more then just the sentence is cut off, I think there's also supposed to be a "Problem" section, bolded, after that.
As of February 2017, I no longer play Armageddon.

Not sure if this was mentioned :
From IPhone 4, using Chrome, I can file a request, but I don't get to specify which pc it relates to. I doesn't default to current.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: Barzalene on May 02, 2013, 09:44:42 AM
Not sure if this was mentioned :
From IPhone 4, using Chrome, I can file a request, but I don't get to specify which pc it relates to. I doesn't default to current.

I'm not seeing that behavior.  It depends on the type of request if you even get a character box, but I see it on my iPhone on Chrome.  For the Character Report request type it's the first box under the explanation text.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Question/request, I think.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: Barzalene on May 02, 2013, 02:45:19 PM
Question/request, I think.

Not limited to iPhone, the Clan Related: Question / Request doesn't allow a character to be entered. Try a Character Report.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

This would be a good pic to put in the House Salarr helpfile.

I might be redacting this post in a while, as it might resolve itself, but I just filed a clan question/request, but I took forever doing it. When I hit submit, it showed me the green screen, and said a copy was sent to my email, but when it returned me to the main screen, it said I wasn't logged in. I logged in, and the request does not appear in my list, and I didn't receive an email. I filed a different request after that, and that one shows up and I received the email for it. Still no sign of the first request...

iPhone 5, Safari
Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2016, 09:37:57 PM
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

Did you close the browser or snooze your phone?  We have code that tries to keep your session alive but it only works if you stay on the page with the window open and JavaScript on. If course I didn't test on iPhone so it is possible there is something wrong on iPhone.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff