Discussion of changes to Armageddon Website

Started by Morgenes, April 01, 2013, 12:10:18 AM

Hey folks, welcome to you new website.  This is the culmination of effort of much time, blood sweat and tears.  It is the effort of many volunteers, both staff and players, and even industry artists who have made this all possible.  The staff would like to publicly acknowledge their efforts here.

I know your'e all excited and many people have their own opinions on styles, colors and layout.  We've done our best for you, and we hope you enjoy it.  We are going to have kinks and issues over the next few weeks as we work on getting everything ironed out.  Please be patient and friendly as you post your thoughts.

In the meantime, if for some reason you can't find something you need on the new website, the old one has been archived for your use at http://old.armageddon.org/

If you have suggestions or ideas you can feel free to post them here, and I'll comb through it, but realize we can't change everything to fit everyone.  We will do our best to make it the website you guys deserve.

If you have a problem or find a bug using the website, please submit a request so that we can be sure it gets resolved.  Make sure you include your operating system, what page(s) you are on, what browser you are using, and describe what you were doing when the error happened.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Just peeked at it.. ROCKIN! Only problem was that as I scrolled up and down, it continually reset and acted a little strange.. Also, would love a quick and obvious link to the forums.

April 01, 2013, 12:14:58 AM #2 Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 12:16:59 AM by maxid
It's hanging when I try to send Staff Kudos.

Other than that, which could be the site getting pounded, it looks great.

Quote from: TheBadSeed on April 01, 2013, 12:13:07 AM
Just peeked at it.. ROCKIN! Only problem was that as I scrolled up and down, it continually reset and acted a little strange.. Also, would love a quick and obvious link to the forums.

Looks great! But I had this problem as well.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

I think it's beautiful as well, my only little hic is that I would prefer if the bottom part of the website (where it says Copyright © ArmageddonMUD 2013 Logo artwork by Denny Unger. Header artwork by Andree Wallin.) would be done in a fluid layout, since if I scroll all the way down, that bar ends up in the middle of my screen and there's a whole chunk of blackness afterward.

Just a minor thing! (I also have a giant monitor, so I understand that my problem is probably in the minority)
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

I'll post some bugs / typos that I've already found.

Bug - Already mentioned but the Request tool, once I select a Subject, goes into a never-ending Loading...

Typo - In the Introduction paragraph, the sentence: "Rather, it is about living out a character's sometimes short and always difficult life in the world of harsh world Zalanthas." seems to be a sentence fragment - The portion of the sentence bolded for emphasis.

Otherwise, it's freakin' awesome. A bit of layout rearranging and we're in the green :)
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Bloody brilliant. I'd like the server time to be on the front page though, as it was on the 'old' one.
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

This one had better not be April Fools. I love it.

Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Quote from: Malken on April 01, 2013, 12:16:20 AM
I think it's beautiful as well, my only little hic is that I would prefer if the bottom part of the website (where it says Copyright © ArmageddonMUD 2013 Logo artwork by Denny Unger. Header artwork by Andree Wallin.) would be done in a fluid layout, since if I scroll all the way down, that bar ends up in the middle of my screen and there's a whole chunk of blackness afterward.

Just a minor thing! (I also have a giant monitor, so I understand that my problem is probably in the minority)

I think I have this licked, let me know

Quote from: Maso on April 01, 2013, 12:18:25 AM

No, Kudos to you Maso.

Request Tool
Sorry, forgot to re-check that, the database 'restore' lost some changes I had made.  It's up, but not 100% of my vision.  It'll be cleaned up ASAP.

Quote from: TheBadSeed on April 01, 2013, 12:13:07 AM

When you scroll up it's locking the menu to the top, which might make it weird.  Let me know if you see a persistent error, maybe we can work out a screen share or something if it continues.

The Forums are under 'Community Quick Links' on the front page, as well as under 'Community' on every page.

Quote from: BleakOne on April 01, 2013, 12:16:50 AM
Bloody brilliant. I'd like the server time to be on the front page though, as it was on the 'old' one.
Server time will be done ASAP.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Okay... this one is made of awesome. Thank you for including the generator. I'll have to go in and fix whatever broke that causes the names to come up undefined.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Love the new look...I'm inspired to play again, read all the helpfiles, do everything...

One thing: when I use the "log in" window, it freezes there for a moment, and does nothing.  When I refresh the page, I'm logged in.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Oh, and the website is actually down for me, right now.  I'm going to guess that will happen off and on for a bit while Morgenes gets things sorted out.

Hey did the request tool lose a few requests during the past week?

edit: Nevermind I just noticed that this was mentioned.  Welp resending some stuff.

I have yet to find any links that point to the terms of service or rules for playing the game.  I'm not sure if that's buried somewhere, but in light of today's April Fools to be or not to be, I think this should be on the front page and very easy to find, regardless of whether or not the new changes Adhira posted were real.

I'd also like to see a page in the account tab that would show some basic information about our account login such as karma level, number of characters played, and maybe some information about our current character.

Quote from: LauraMars on April 01, 2013, 12:31:24 AM
Love the new look...I'm inspired to play again, read all the helpfiles, do everything...

One thing: when I use the "log in" window, it freezes there for a moment, and does nothing.  When I refresh the page, I'm logged in.

Hey Laura, could you submit a request with information about what browser (and version) on what OS you were doing this on?  It should flash up a message welcoming you back, and change the login button.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: Sephiroto on April 01, 2013, 12:32:58 AM
I have yet to find any links that point to the terms of service or rules for playing the game.  I'm not sure if that's buried somewhere, but in light of today's April Fools to be or not to be, I think this should be on the front page and very easy to find, regardless of whether or not the new changes Adhira posted were real.
Fair enough, Rules can be found by searching for 'Rules', it should be mentioned in the Intro documentation, but we can add it if not.

Quote from: Sephiroto on April 01, 2013, 12:32:58 AM
I'd also like to see a page in the account tab that would show some basic information about our account login such as karma level, number of characters played, and maybe some information about our current character.
You can get info about your current character from the Biographies page.  I do plan on evolving this and doing more with it (like more of a dashboard on the front page when you log in, instead of the 'Welcome to Armageddon' stuff), it could include info like that.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

April 01, 2013, 12:47:15 AM #18 Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 12:50:04 AM by Fredd
So sexy..... I need 5 mins alone.

Wait were pg now, can i make that joke?

Edit: Game time, and last reset would be sexy as hell, if I could find them though
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2013, 12:40:20 AM
Quote from: LauraMars on April 01, 2013, 12:31:24 AM

Hey Laura, could you submit a request with information about what browser (and version) on what OS you were doing this on?  It should flash up a message welcoming you back, and change the login button.

Hm, the website went down for me for about ten minutes.  When it came back up, I tried logging out and logging in again...no more problems.

The new look is great. It's also great that the voting websites link back to it. I think a more modern design will keep the attention of more newer players looking to join us! The new alphabetical helpfile thingy is particularly nice and the way artwork is incorporated throughout the website looks good too.

One thing I did notice is that I can't seem to access clan docs from anywhere. The most I can get to is an individual clan's helpfile page (nice that you can submit a request to that clan from the helpfile page, btw).

April 01, 2013, 12:54:25 AM #21 Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 12:57:30 AM by LauraMars
This looks a bit weird - when I click the "new request" button under the my account menu in the upper right hand corner, the page comes up like this:

When I click outside that box, the menu does collapse, but when the page first loads, the menu also loads as "selected"

(browser: Chrome
operating system Windows 7)

Sticky footers man! They are such derps.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

I can't log into the site, new or old, or even connect to the game at the moment.
The Devil doesn't dawdle.

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2013, 12:29:13 AM

I think I have this licked, let me know

That worked :)
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."